Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Unimog u1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just received a few parts from Steve at Expedition Imports: very easy transaction and nice to do business with.

Trying to be able to identify part numbers by myself as to make ordering more efficient. Looked up the part numbers on the website MBepc.net and noticed a difference in numbers between the number on the website and the number on the item's packaging:

Package: A 408 460 00 37

My first expanation would be that these two diffrent numbers come off two different model designations, being the Unimog 408 and the Unimog 425. In this case, the rest of the numbers 460 00 37 are the actual part number. And if this part was on a 1300L, the part number would be 435 460 00 37.

Can anyone validate or correct my explanation?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,641 Posts
Having ordered parts for my previous Unimog (424) from MEREX, I was surprised that a number of them started with ‘406’. This led me to believe that maybe they
Sent the wrong parts.
Of course, they didn’t.
Neil’s explanation was that the
Prefix of the part number was assigned when the part
was originally made for whatever Unimog
It first appeared on. If the part was rolled over to
become part of a subsequent series of UNIMOG, then
then they didn’t change the number, they just
kept it as it was.
It has been probably been 15 years since we had that conversation, but I’m pretty sure that is how it went.

When I started looking at parts on the truck with
the part number cast or molded into it, tail lamp
Lenses for one example, I found the 406 prefix all over the truck on its original parts that I had not replaced.

·
Registered
1978 Unimog u1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having ordered parts for my previous Unimog (424) from MEREX, I was surprised that a number of them started with ‘406’. This led me to believe that maybe they
Sent the wrong parts.
Of course, they didn’t.
Neil’s explanation was that the
Prefix of the part number was assigned when the part
was originally made for whatever Unimog
It first appeared on. If the part was rolled over to
become part of a subsequent series of UNIMOG, then
then they didn’t change the number, they just
kept it as it was.
It has been probably been 15 years since we had that conversation, but I’m pretty sure that is how it went.

When I started looking at parts on the truck with
the part number cast or molded into it, tail lamp
Lenses for one example, I found the 406 prefix all over the truck on its original parts that I had not replaced.
Good morning Truktor,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

The explanation that a part number newly appearing on a new model ( ex. when the 406 was the newest Unimog) makes a lot of sense. The second part of the explanation, being that the part number stays the same even when rolled over to a futur model makes sense also. In this case where a got two prefixes (408 and 425) for what I think is the same part, there would be two conflicting explanations:

1) Part number is named after the newborn.
2) Part number is ajusted to the model designation.

If explanation 1) is correct, then the part number on the MBepc.net website is incorrect.

I will try to seek another web site to see wich part number they give. My only sure reference point is the number on the MB packaging. But then again, i'm a spring chicken as Unimog go, so do not fully trust my own assumptions...

I will post back my findings so others may be helped with this query.

·
Registered
1978 Unimog u1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mercedes.7zap.com = A 425 460 00 37

Nemigaparts.com = A 425 460 00 37

Maybe I simply received the wrong part.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,641 Posts
Yes, getting the wrong part is always a possibility.

On a separate note, when two part numbers match all of the way down the line, except for the last digit, say a one or a two for the last number, then that designates Right or Left, for the same part. Turn indicator lenses and anything that has a right or a left position on the truck will tend to follow this convention.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,749 Posts
Everything's cool.

A 425 460 0037 has been replaced by A 408 460 0037.
Beraring.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts