Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who enjoy poking around some really nice concourse level Autobahn Legends as well as some really cool daily drivers, Legends of the Autobahn will be on August 17th at Rancho Canada Country Club near Pebble Beach. This is a really nice event that lets you get up close and personal to some very distinctive models of BMW, Audi, Porsche and of course Mercedes-Benz.

Legends of the Autobahn 2012 | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

If you are already planning on attending Concourse week in Monterey, CA this is one of the few free events that even has free parking for spectators. Last years show was great with over 500 cars and thousands of spectators.

A thread from last years show with pictures:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1606125-legends-autobahn-2011-a.html

It would be nice to see those forum members from central and northern California since we all rarely get to meet in person.

The c126 will be a featured model in this years program.

Hope to meet some of you there!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks for posting this, just booked a hotel in Watsonville for Thursday night (Days INN only $55 with AARP discount)

I dont plan on entering my car in the show, but am I reading correctly that spectator admission and parking is free even if we are NOT MBCA members? Or is there an admission and parking charge for general public?

If so I might as well enter my car in the nonjudging class.....even though its not to show standards

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a free parking lot adjacent to the fairway that the judged cars are on. Once parked, everyone is welcome to walk around all areas of the event free of charge.

To place your car in the corral non-judged class, a MBCA membership is required and a fee is prepaid for showing (but not judged) and to enter your car in the judged concourse event there is a bigger fee you prepay as well as membership required.

Nice to hear you will be there. The non judged corral area is a great place to display your car whether it is a daily driver or garage queen.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
This sounds nice but evidently has nothing whatsoever to do wth the Pebble Beach Concours, correct?

I would like to show up (having DRIVEN the Autobahn and just paid Autobahn road tax too, this month), and see some of you guys (and your cars) down there.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same day as Corso Italiano at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch.
Gonna be a full weekend!
Yes, same day. Last year I made the mistake of staying at a hotel that made it where I needed to drive past Corso Italiano to get to Legends at about 6 am. What a traffic nightmare due to the large volume of participants for Corso Italiano plus those going into town for Legends and other events.

I have booked in more hotel time for Concourse Week this year (and in town this time) so I can enjoy more of the diverse shows, drives and auctions. Caught part of the muscle car auction last year on Thursday night and just stood and drooled.

Amazing automotive sights and sounds to take in all week. Took a walk through town after dinner last year and just couldn't believe the amount of unique super-cars, historical cars and just plain beautiful machinery that would be driving through the city streets.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
Same day as Corso Italiano at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch.
Gonna be a full weekend!
ahh it was like this last year as well, the Concorso makes a great morning to afternoon activity while the autobahn event is how I like to spend the rest of my day, resting my eyes from all the red and admiring cars that I could actually afford to maintain ;)

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
Yes, same day. Last year I made the mistake of staying at a hotel that made it where I needed to drive past Corso Italiano to get to Legends at about 6 am. What a traffic nightmare due to the large volume of participants for Corso Italiano plus those going into town for Legends and other events.

I have booked in more hotel time for Concourse Week this year (and in town this time) so I can enjoy more of the diverse shows, drives and auctions. Caught part of the muscle car auction last year on Thursday night and just stood and drooled.

Amazing automotive sights and sounds to take in all week. Took a walk through town after dinner last year and just couldn't believe the amount of unique super-cars, historical cars and just plain beautiful machinery that would be driving through the city streets.
Can you post some links or info about what will be going on thirds night and all day Friday? I'll probably arrive around 5-6pm Thursday night and stay all day Friday, want to see as much as possible !!

I have two muscle cars and like seeing the auction inventory, but actually sitting for hours watching the auction is like watching paint dry to me, I'm too impatient . Plus I might buy something I don't need ;)

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
ahh it was like this last year as well, the Concorso makes a great morning to afternoon activity while the autobahn event is how I like to spend the rest of my day, resting my eyes from all the red and admiring cars that I could actually afford to maintain ;)
Isn't the autobahn show over at 1pm though ? Seems we need to hit autobahn first then concourso

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post some links or info about what will be going on thirds night and all day Friday? I'll probably arrive around 5-6pm Thursday night and stay all day Friday, want to see as much as possible !!

I have two muscle cars and like seeing the auction inventory, but actually sitting for hours watching the auction is like watching paint dry to me, I'm too impatient . Plus I might buy something I don't need ;)
Link from the city of Monterey:

See Monterey, CA | Monterey's Official Tourism & Travel Information for Monterey Hotels, Accommodations, Attractions

Mechum' Muscle Car Auction is Thursday evening I believe from 5-10pm downtown at the Hyatt Regency but they also have a super big screen outside the hotel where the cars to be auctioned line up to roll in the building.

If you are looking to go to more than just Legends on Friday, do not enter your car in the corral or Concourse. You will be locked in until 3 pm when the show ends. I would go to Legends first, park in the free parking area and spend the morning checking out the event. Then you can head over to Laguna Seca for the Corso for lunch and the afternoon at that event. That one goes until 5 pm I think. The food will be more available for lunch at Laguna also. That is what I would do if not entered in the Legends event.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
excellent tips! Looks like my Thurs evening and Friday daytime is set....

What events do you recommend for Friday evening?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last year was my first year going. I left town shortly after the show on Friday, so not sure what is going on Friday night.

I do hope to catch some of this after Legends:

Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally

On Friday, August 17, from 1pm to 5:30pm, Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grovewill feel like a trip back in time during the Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally. Over 200 cars will participate at this event, which is free for spectators. At 6pm cars will cruise the streets of Pacific Grove; at 7pm, participants and spectators can enjoy a barbecue dinner at Chataqua Hall ($20/adults, $15/children 12 and under).

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Mechum Auction is in one of the hotels there, a friend is there to sell his muscle car, Red 1966 Nova named Rose,(I didn't know that until yesterday). It'll be up at 5:30 Friday night.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
I think the Mecum auctions at hyatt regency are in the daytime

It's Russo and Steele that had the muscle cars at night at fisherman wharf. Caught an hour or so of it tonight

Tomorrow is legends of the autobahn first, then either Concorso Italiano or the pacific grove event on lighthouse drive

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I will come down for it!! (last second availability to do it)

I'm in. Bringing "The Red Plum" (the daily driver '95 E420 none of you saw yet) just tuned up for the first time in its whole 17 year life, I just found out, and I got rid of the resonator so iot seems much faster and louder, so I can't wait to do the shakedown 250 mile cruise tomorrow but have to day trip (hot date Saturday night in Auburn) :wink_2:

And forgt to register the SEC for either corral or judging but I want to see YOUR xars!

Maybe we can all talk a bit. Or have lunch. Hit me up on with a pm Chadahar, greg and tusabes and anyone else i know that is coming if you like. My cell has no voice mail set up yet.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Last year was my first year going. I left town shortly after the show on Friday, so not sure what is going on Friday night.

I do hope to catch some of this after Legends:

Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally

On Friday, August 17, from 1pm to 5:30pm, Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grovewill feel like a trip back in time during the Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally. Over 200 cars will participate at this event, which is free for spectators. At 6pm cars will cruise the streets of Pacific Grove; at 7pm, participants and spectators can enjoy a barbecue dinner at Chataqua Hall ($20/adults, $15/children 12 and under).
That sounds like lots of fun! Dinner gtg anyone?:)

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,507 Posts
My son and I are headed down, arriving around 10:30 - 11:00am. Anyone going to be around that early?

Mike

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Lou's car comes up approx. 5:45 tonight at Mechum's on Velocity Channel. I think it is the Hyatt, not sure.
Have fun Guys!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,950 Posts
Sorry I didn't check the forums after my last post, so missed the chance to meet

Did see a few nice sec there
My favorite at the show was the custom painted burgundy gullwing 300sl. I think I'm going to need to buy a 300sl re-creation and emulate it

1 - 20 of 42 Posts