Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the article! That photo is a chop. Any military models are contracted to be based on the W461 Worker (up to the year 2025), although heavily modified from their civilian counterparts.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
one thing is for sure... when a new and old g-wagon are stopped next to eachother at a traffic light they'll each be shaking their head at the other... wondering what the other was thinking. Either that or they'll just think we're driving a hummer... or maybe some wierd jeep.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Right on Ewalberg!! You know, if this chop is anything remotely similar to what the real X164 looks like, then I would rather purchase a Hummer H2, rip and sell all it's decals and badging and then place Mercedes G-class badging on the newly discharged Hummer H2.

As much as I hate to say it, the Hummer H2 has a better claim to the title of "the next G-class" then this "replacement" (the Hummer H2 is not a Mercedes, but it's a start). Mercedes should cater to all tastes, not just the socceer mom and dads who never let their cars leave the sweet pavement.

It's good to think outside the box, but just don't change the shape of the box!!

The biggest reward of taking the G to a carwash is not when it has specks of dirt and dust, but when it is drenched in mud/sand/dirt and your car is making a mess everywhere you go. And because the G is covered in filth, it hardly becomes recognizable. [:)]

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
I dont know what MB is going for with the new G. It is just too damn tame. They are not going to get any of us to buy it, It lacks the "bling appeal" so it is likely to steal the H2 or escalade buyer (it's not going to be in a Jay-Z video....why would anybody want a car that does not qualify for a rap video) , porsche cayenne buyers are not really looking at G's anyway, this leaves the suburban and tahoe customer who could be buying a second car instead of upgrading to this thing .......however, i do bet it has a cup holder that holds a big-gulp![;)]

·
Registered
2007 ML CDI, 1967 250SL(early), 1984 280 SL, 2004 E320 wagon, 2015 ML 250, 1999 E300TD
449 Posts
MB is just catering to the mass market with that homoginized ML clone.
And it's unibody, correct ?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Yes, it is going to be unibody and the name is unclear at this point. It could be called the MLG, the GL, the GLK or the G-class(No!!!)

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Brent G500...

I saw a dark (but shinier) green H2 whose grill was body collored. I was suprised to think it looked alright. I think that chrome grill is a big part of what makes is so ugly... but i don't think i could even own one. THey're sort of big in all the wrong places for me.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Ewalberg, I agree with you about the chrome grille. Actually, Hummer offers an optional black grille in place of the chrome one. Paired against the white color (minus the side steps), the H2 is an okay vehicle. This is strictly my opinion; however, as a loyal Mercedes Benz customer, I don't think the Hummer H2 will ever be as good as the Mercedes.

However, compared to this new, monstrous creation (X164), I would gladly become a Hummer customer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts