Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently facing a $3600+ repair bill for my 1994 E 320. Apparently the wiring harness failed and took the control unit with it. I am told by the dealer that the wiring harness is a commonly replaced item. In 50 years of car ownership, including several older British cars and an Italian one, none being noted for robust electrics, I have never had a harness fail. I believe that, especially in view of modern plastic and insulation technology, a wiring harness should last the life of the car and this 'common' failure is indicative of an engineering error. Have others had this problem? This failure seriously affected both the emmisions system and the ASR with associated environmental and saftey implications.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After writing a letter to MBUSA telling them of a similar problem, I got a call from the zone manager. They paid me in full for the replacement harness I had done at a non-dealer shop. They diagnosed the problem as a failed wiring harness when the dealer failed to do so. This happened to be on a 1993 350 SDL in Starmark warranty. The 'new' type harnesses in those cars were meant to be biodegradable(!). Later on when the problem was corrected, they began to replace on a 'need to' basis. This is another instance of a good idea in theory going bad in practice. Bare wires under your hood will certainly play havoc with EVERYTHING electrical! Write to Mercedes-Benz. You may be surprised at the results.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alan,<br> <br> I understand this is a known problem for '94 e320.<br> <br> I agree with Ed. Try contacting them.<br> <br> As a matter of fact, I have an ML320 '99 out of warranty, which just broke a part which is not supposed to fail, the cam shaft pulley. This caused 7 other parts to break apart in the front of the engine, with a dealer repair cost of $2,800. After dealer talking to MBUSA, they took care of 100% of the bill.<br> <br> Good Luck!!!!!<br> <br> Rene<br> <br> Keep us posted...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After my $3600 repair bill, the ASR failed again this afternoon - only this time it was while I was merging onto an expressway ahead of a truck - luck (there was a shoulder) and perhaps some skill are the only reasons that I am here to add this comment. This is a basic design flaw and I have not decided if I will contact Mercedes before I ask my attorney to gather the information to file a class action suit. Having been assured by the dealer that the problem was fixed, I have no basis to believe that the next assurances are any more valid.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I would do an oil and plug change on my 280TE myself - easy enough!<br> <br> I noticed that the ignition wiring under the coil and plug coer was not where it obviously should be positioned - so I put it where it was designed to go. The engine misfired. moving the low cables I could make the engine misfir on two and four cylinders, or not at all.<br> <br> I decided that there had to be a broken wire inside the rubber casing. so I inestigated by carefully cutting open the sheath.<br> <br> I could not believe what I saw.. The insulation had completely disintegrated. <br> <br> This I thought was due to heat and decided to replace the wires bach to the ECU with aircraft grade cables. Only to find that every wire in the harness was the same - to the injectors the temperature sensors the lot!!<br> <br> MB and the local dealer claim that they have never seen this problem before.<br> <br> Cause. As already stated. Insulation not suitable for the application.<br> <br> Thanks for your information. I will be talking with MB again about a 'coutesy claim'.<br> <br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts