Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There Folks,
reading my manual I discovered that MB recommends using their windshield washer concentrate trade name summer fit, with either water for above freezing or commercial antifreeze for below freezing.

I've always used commercial antifreeze summer & winter, how important is to use this summer fit, what does it do to the system?

I'll appreciate any clarification. Happy New Year to All

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
I add it ever other time I refill the washer tank. Its basically a grease cutter, makes a little suds, the water sheets up as it should. I love the stuff, does a great job with the regular blue fluid. I use it year round with the blue stuff.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
I use the Summer fit in all our cars, it doesn't stain the reservoirs.

For winter I add 1 quart of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to each tank. This prevents freezing in the lines and eliminates the need to mix in dyed solvlent.

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
134 Posts
Does anyone by chance have the MB oem part number for this fluid concentrate?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just curious - the blue stuff in the gallon jug from Acme Auto Parts won't work in M-B cars? :)
It works but the blue dye (any dye) will stain the heating elements. This is why the MB fluids are not dyed and are clear.

Not to say it won't work, but the formations it will leave over time can cause plugging of the spray jets and reduced freeze protection of the reservoir.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
So we are basically supposed to filter water of minerals and then mix it with he MB concentrate and then use that solution to fill the reservoir in the car?

Seems like a lot of work... I had just picked up my E550 and was planning to fill up the reservoir with the blue stuff that I had bought for my Volvo. Should I not do that?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,339 Posts
When I use the concentrate I only add distilled water. +1 on the isopropyl for the winter
here. Not needed where temps are above freezing year round.

I use the Rain X orange stuff a lot in the winter with the isopropyl. The cars with OEM Xenons
all have washers for the lights and hold 8-9 liters of washer fluid.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I only use distilled as well, again to prevent formations (calcium, dye etc) in the tanks as well as the heated spray jets.

If you know how these systems work, you will understand why conventional washer solvent is a bad idea.

Isopropyl alcohol and summer-fit will not leave any residues in the system when mixed with distilled water.

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
So we are basically supposed to filter water of minerals and then mix it with he MB concentrate and then use that solution to fill the reservoir in the car?

Seems like a lot of work... I had just picked up my E550 and was planning to fill up the reservoir with the blue stuff that I had bought for my Volvo. Should I not do that?
For those in Warm climates you can use the Summer Fit and water alone. For those of us in Climates that see temps below freezing, you add the Summer Fit to whatever Blue Fluid you choose. It talks about this in the manual. The P/N for Summer fit 001-986-80-71-17. Its now tinted blue, it used to be clear.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
I only use distilled as well, again to prevent formations (calcium, dye etc) in the tanks as well as the heated spray jets.

If you know how these systems work, you will understand why conventional washer solvent is a bad idea.

Isopropyl alcohol and summer-fit will not leave any residues in the system when mixed with distilled water.
Thanks! Maybe I can use one of the used blue stuff containers and fill it up with water from the Brita filter and make my own fluid this way with Summer Fit added. Not a bad ideas as I can save money and I don't need to go out and buy this stuff. And apparently this is better.

Where can I get Isopropyl alcohol and what concentration should I use? Is this the same as anti freeze (what the manual recommended that I add)? Wouldn't the alcohol just evaporate?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,339 Posts
Walmart has the alcohol for about $2 a quart in concentrations from 70-92%.

The Brita is a good system for cleaning up tap water, but it is not close to being as pure
as distilled water. Most supermarkets sell distilled water for $1 a gallon or less. If you
are at Walmart getting the alcohol the will have distilled water for a good price.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
Walmart has the alcohol for about $2 a quart in concentrations from 70-92%.

The Brita is a good system for cleaning up tap water, but it is not close to being as pure
as distilled water. Most supermarkets sell distilled water for $1 a gallon or less. If you
are at Walmart getting the alcohol the will have distilled water for a good price.
Thanks! I'll look for the two at a place like Walmart. I should probably buya case and have it handy.

Just realized that I'm about to feed the car better quality water than what I drink! Brita is good for me but not for my car. I need to buy special water for the car that's better than what I drink. Talk about coddling our cars... In my next life I either want to be my dog or my car, as both are apparently better taken care of than me :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.