Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mates... sorry new to the forum and MB as well and hope you can help or throw some light.

I recently bought a 2009 ML from a non MB dealer. It has 1 more year left and plenty of mileage left too on the factory warranty.

I asked a MB dealer for the ELW and got a good price on it. But the Netstar system is not letting them issue the warranty. I am told by them that the issue is that the ML was a MB lease vehicle that was sold at an auction by a MB dealer and since it was not CPO'd before it got sold, I cannot get an ELW.

Do you know anything about this?

This pisses me off no end. Where the hell does it say on their website that I cannot buy a ELW before the factory warranty ends. I don't want to sit on a 35K vehicle with no factory warranty.

Anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
As far as I know, an MB does not retain its Starmark certification if it is sold to a non MB dealer or auction. Same goes with BMW's CPO program. There are good 3rd party warranties that cover about as much as the factory warranty to be had out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
757 Posts
There are good 3rd party warranties that cover about as much as the factory warranty to be had out there.
There are also bad third-party warranties out there! Caveat emptor.

Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. If, when the warranty is almost up, the vehicle has a history of reliable operation, keep it and risk it. If the record has been of problems and repairs, sell it.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Warranties are really insurance policies and insurance companies don't lose money.

That is, they won't sell you a warranty if the odds are not in their favor, meaning the odds are likely that you'll just pay for something you never recover on. Meaning the odds are you won't have any unusual expenses. Meaning don't buy a warranty. Meaning put your money in the bank instead.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Meaning resale value of an out of warranty Mercedes reflects the risk, meaning having ready cash for unexpected and expensive repairs is part of the deal.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Two things you can always count on.

Paying your U.S. Taxes and Mercedes knowing where your car has been.

By the way call your dealer, he may be able to get it certified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts