Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL 500 - Black
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter in the mail today from MB USA, claiming that they aren't going to continue honoring the promise for lifetime roadside assistance unless you take your car to the dealer for service. One more way for the stealer to try to grab more customers for overpriced service. Personally I think someone needs to get a class action started...value of roadside assistance for the life of a vehicle x how many vehicles?

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
Got a letter in the mail today from MB USA, claiming that they aren't going to continue honoring the promise for lifetime roadside assistance unless you take your car to the dealer for service. One more way for the stealer to try to grab more customers for overpriced service. Personally I think someone needs to get a class action started...value of roadside assistance for the life of a vehicle x how many vehicles?
To be honest I can understand why. Mercedes want you to maintain your car to their standards and although we all know a competent indy, how many morons do we know too? PS we've never had free roadside assistance here

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Well, think of it this way: would your friend like it if you called him (or her) only when you're in trouble? :)

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Why they always call me when they are in trouble?

Hmmmm?

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
It's not so bad. I think I trashed my letter, so I copied this from an MB website:

"If your vehicle: Then:

Is under any Mercedes-Benz warranty (New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Extended Limited Warranty, Certified Pre-owned Warranty) You are eligible for Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance*

Is out of warranty, and is regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership (a single transaction of at least $100 in the 18 months prior to the Roadside call) You are eligible for Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance*

Was purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership prior to January 4, 2011 and you still own the vehicle You are eligible for Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance*

Is out of warranty
Not regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership
Not purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership Please visit an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership for service to qualify for Roadside Assistance. Or, you may purchase each individual service through the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center at the time of service

*As of January 1, 2011, Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance will offer the following complimentary services for eligible vehicles:

• Sign & Drive

- Replace a flat tire with a spare
- Jump start
- Small amount of fuel, should the vehicle run out
• Towing to the nearest authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership

Please note that in certain unique circumstances, additional charges may apply to Sign & Drive and towing."

It doesn't say you have to purchase it NEW from a dealer, so maybe some of us just happen to be lucky.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Frankly, I think its well worth to have the MB Road Side Assistance even if you have to service your car with the stealers.

I tried to use indie for simple work such as oil change and found that most indies are not much cheaper, not like the old days (hey, they have to eat too). The one I used charges $85/hr labor whereas the strealer charges $95 and the parts were pretty close. So if changing my oil twice a year I am only out maybe $30 but having the RSA coming to the house and jump my car simply by calling them any time, it is well worth it to me.

As most of you SL owners already know, dead battery is a continued issue, at least it is with me. On the average, I have the RSA to my house a couple times a year for a jump.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Frankly, I think its well worth to have the MB Road Side Assistance even if you have to service your car with the stealers.

I tried to use indie for simple work such as oil change and found that most indies are not much cheaper, not like the old days (hey, they have to eat too). The one I used charges $85/hr labor whereas the strealer charges $95 and the parts were pretty close. So if changing my oil twice a year I am only out maybe $30 but having the RSA coming to the house and jump my car simply by calling them any time, it is well worth it to me.

As most of you SL owners already know, dead battery is a continued issue, at least it is with me. On the average, I have the RSA to my house a couple times a year for a jump.
I think it is still a great thing. At worst you only have to have an oil change at your dealer every 18 months, and if you didn't and didn't otherwise qualify you could still get the assistance if you paid for it as I understand it.
Nice to have just 1 number to call, and if I had a breakdown I would just as soon have it towed to a dealer to fix, especially if my indy were far away.

I bought my SL500 used from a dealer which seems to make me forever qualified, but I'll probably still have my dealer change the oil.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
I can understand why too.

They don't want the car serviced by some idiot who breaks more shit than he fixes. When he breaks things it causes the road side help to be used.

When you go to the dealership and they do the job right, you don't call for help on the side of the road because there's nothing wrong with the perfectly serviced Mercedes you own.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
When you go to the dealership and they do the job right, you don't call for help on the side of the road because there's nothing wrong with the perfectly serviced Mercedes you own.
Pollyanna, I have some swamp land I'd like to interest you in.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can understand why too.

They don't want the car serviced by some idiot who breaks more shit than he fixes. When he breaks things it causes the road side help to be used.

I know my indy doesn't "break more shit than he fixes". He's probably more personally competent than anyone most dealers have. He's definitely not cheap and he's fast and sure which seems to accentuate that fact on a per hour basis. But he also tells his clients to take it to the dealer if its got needed stuff that he doesn't.
Even so, my dealer will always get it fixed right even if it takes forever and costs a bundle.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
The dealer does the job right?

The other idiots brake things?

Why do we call them the stealeeeer?

Maybe you should have a talk with one of our very respected member.

Chriswufgator.

They were braking more things on his cars then they were fixing.
Read some of his posts.... you will get the idea.

If Chris sees this, don't get him started.
Suspension, Xenon head lights, etc, too many to do a list. Haha.

That MB service is going to cost you big time....
Be aware on bates/gifts.

Now what was his name.... that offered the Trojan horse?

Is it U.. something?

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The dealer does the job right?

The other idiots brake things?

Why do we call them the stealeeeer?

Maybe you should have a talk with one of our very respected member.

Chriswufgator.

They were braking more things on his cars then they were fixing.
Read some of his posts.... you will get the idea.

If Chris sees this, don't get him started.
Suspension, Xenon head lights, etc, too many to do a list. Haha.

That MB service is going to cost you big time....
Be aware on bates/gifts.

Now what was his name.... that offered the Trojan horse?

Is it U.. something?

Regards,
aam.
I suppose it depends on the dealer and the idiot, but I don't think I fully understand your point, if any.

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Point is some dealerships have idiots and some don't. Chris's did. Get the point now. I have read horror stories about some stealers charging $800 or $900 to try and fix a CEL without success. They told them they didn't know what was wrong with the car. That's a joke if I ever heard one coming from the so called pros.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
I've never used the service. I think it is a fluff comfort service and nice if you need it. But without tow trucks, which my insurance covers there is not much else they can do for me anyway. I can change the tire and if I run out of gas it was due to my ignorance.

Those who will benefit the most are the older people or those unable/unwilling to change a tire. They probably bought their cars new from the dealer and it isn't a factor. If they didn't and are just unwilling, then call a tow to do it for you and pay the nominal fee.

I really don't see much advantage to this program other than a nice marketing tool to sell the cars. Now I have probably jinxed myself. hahaha

·
Registered
735 Posts
Point is some dealerships have idiots and some don't. Chris's did. Get the point now. I have read horror stories about some stealers charging $800 or $900 to try and fix a CEL without success. They told them they didn't know what was wrong with the car. That's a joke if I ever heard one coming from the so called pros.
Why on earth would anyone pay a mechanic anything if they didn't fix the problem, at least temporarily for a time long-enough to show he'd done something? I've never dealt with anyone who expected to be paid after admitting he couldn't do the job.
My dealer got my CEL to go out temporarily (I paid). I brought it back and they fumbled & bumbled around finally saying it was carbon in the engine that was harmless. It would be too expensive to take off the heads and clean out and they could permanently turn the light off, all for free.
The fix would take 3 weeks and cost $3k. They gave me a brand new loaner for free.
I knew I was paying too much, but it got fixed right, which was what really mattered.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That video reminds me of our top hydraulics. $1000.00 per cyclinder versus $50.00 plus labor (either your own or an indy) Dealers are great for such rip offs.

It's really unreal!
That's Capitalism at work. Nothing wrong when they tell you up-front. Might be a rip off in Mamby Pamby Land, though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've never used the service. I think it is a fluff comfort service and nice if you need it. But without tow trucks, which my insurance covers there is not much else they can do for me anyway. I can change the tire and if I run out of gas it was due to my ignorance.

Those who will benefit the most are the older people or those unable/unwilling to change a tire. They probably bought their cars new from the dealer and it isn't a factor. If they didn't and are just unwilling, then call a tow to do it for you and pay the nominal fee.

I really don't see much advantage to this program other than a nice marketing tool to sell the cars. Now I have probably jinxed myself. hahaha
My Subaru had it during the warranty period. It wouldn't start one morning and in 20 minutes it got towed to the dealer who fixed it and had a guy return it. No charge. Very nice. Not a very effective marketing tool though, I think.
I bought my Merc used but from a dealer so I'm covered, but I was unaware of the program at the time.

<<Those who will benefit the most are the older people or those unable/unwilling to change a tire.>>

That's me, although I might consider changing a tire. I've always got by so far by pumping up the tire with my $10 electric pump and running to a service place, except when I had a blow out 1/2 block from my friendly neighborhood station.
I like the idea of having a number to call with me and it seems that the tow to the dealer is free.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts