Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am away from home visiting USA and I wanted to order some dye for the interior MB-Tex and vinyl in our '72 350SL.

Problem I have, is that the interior is already a mish-mash of colours. What I want to match, is the colour of the door and dash panels and the visors and pillar covers.

I want to recoat the dash which is too dark a colour and will need recoating anyway once I fix a few small cracks. I also want to recoat the console which is faded anyway and which has a bad crack that will be repaired.

My problem, is deciding which colour dye to order. The on-line colours from GAHH, World Upholstery and Millers all look different and don't seem to match my interior. Mahogany and Tobacco seem to be the nearest, but they don't look right. Leatherique show only their standard colours and none are right. Maybe it is my laptop's screen? Which one looks right to you?

Here is a picture of the interior (Note that the seats are leather and a darker colour than the MB-Tex doors etc.)

Here are some Mahogany swatchs:

and Tobacco

and Bamboo

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Your A pillar trim pieces are bamboo. Now I've heard that MB offered two colors of bamboo, but those trim pieces are the same color bamboo that is in my 78.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your A pillar trim pieces are bamboo. Now I've heard that MB offered two colors of bamboo, but those trim pieces are the same color bamboo that is in my 78.
Thanks Scott,

I added Bamboo to my post above. One of them (World Upholstery) looks close, but not the other two. I have emailed them the picture of my car, but with the holiday tomorrow, probably won't hear until Tuesday. They have a picture of a doorskin on their site that looks close mine:

Graham

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Have you done the vin thing?
It definitly looks like your going to need 2 or 3 coats of what ever. So buy lots of which ever you do buy.
That middle bamboo looks the best to me though.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you done the vin thing?
It definitly looks like your going to need 2 or 3 coats of what ever. So buy lots of which ever you do buy.
That middle bamboo looks the best to me though.
the vin thing??

I did go to a Russian site, but it would not work with older cars. is there one that would work with our '72 SL?

Regarding coverage - How much would I need to give dash and console 2 coats?

Graham

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
the vin thing??

I did go to a Russian site, but it would not work with older cars. is there one that would work with our '72 SL?

Regarding coverage - How much would I need to give dash and console 2 coats?

Graham
Sorry about the vin thing I should of said post your vin and ask Ike nicely if he could get you any info. Maybe PM him.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Email a data card request to the Classic Center.

Mercedes-Benz USA, Mercedes Classic, Contact Classic Center

Takes a day or two for an email response.

Dave
Gave it a try! No response yet.

Also sent picture to World Upholstery - They agree with Scott - say it is Bamboo.

Another Question:

World Upholstery have 12oz spray cans for $18.00 and 1 pint cans for $54.00. A pint is 16oz, isn't it? So what am I missing?? I will ask WU tomorrow, but maybe someone here knows?

Graham

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
The 12oz spray can is propellant and dye, not twelve ounces of liquid dye. The pint of dye will cover a LOT more area, but requires a compressor and spray gun.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Look like you have tobacco interior. I do, see my sig below

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Interesting, they have Bamboo and Antique bamboo - But, World Upholstery don't have Bamboo, just the antique bamboo (which they call bamboo - code 167)
MB called both colors bamboo, they just used them different years.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MB called both colors bamboo, they just used them different years.
I asked MBUSA classics and they said it should be leather mahogany! I think leather seats may have been mahogany (I replaced them, but still have some pieces back at home) But, doors and other interior parts seem lighter than mahogany and look like vinyl to me, but I could be wrong.

Is it possible that the interior would have two codes?

MBUSA reply:
Thank you for your inquiry.

467- Paintwork, Sand Beige Metallic
263- Interior Trim, Mahogany Leather
746- Folding top fabric, Dark Brown

Mercedes-Benz USA
Classic Center
Classic Parts Support
Regards,

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just realised that MBUSA said 263- Interior Trim, Mahogany Leather - World Upholstery say that 263/163 are Tobacco leather/MB-Tex, not Mahogany!

I may just have to choose a colour close to the seat colour and recoat everything.

Graham

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
I'd suggest eliminating the guesswork. Bite the bullet, and buy a single spray can of each of the two or three colors that seem to suit you best. Spray some samples, and base your decision on viewing the resulting colors firsthand.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd suggest eliminating the guesswork. Bite the bullet, and buy a single spray can of each of the two or three colors that seem to suit you best. Spray some samples, and base your decision on viewing the resulting colors firsthand.

Dave.
I have found that Mercedes interior colour codes are model year specific. For example code 263 was Mahogany at one time and later Tobacco and later even something else. This makes it hard to see how World Upholstery and Leatherique can sell 'standard" colour dyes.

Seems only solution is to send them a sample and have them color match.

I wanted to order while down here in USA, but it seems I will have to go the sample route, or just chose a colour and go with it.

Thanks for all the input!

Graham

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Seems only solution is to send them a sample and have them color match.
Your situation may be even more difficult than that, because I don't think MB ever offered a two-tone interior like that. Someone may have done it later, as part of a customization/restoration. So it would be difficult to match the colors, because you can't really know what they are or where they came from.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Your situation may be even more difficult than that, because I don't think MB ever offered a two-tone interior like that. Someone may have done it later, as part of a customization/restoration. So it would be difficult to match the colors, because you can't really know what they are or where they came from.
The color in the first pic in the thread is like mine. GAHH Bamboo matched perfectly (leather). The vinyl on my door panels is also two-toned like this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts