Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
87 Posts
I don't know how this system could possibly access MB sites such as WIS, or ST you need passwords from MB. Believe me unless you work for MB you don't have a chance of getting these passwords, and if you were an employee and you did use your password, they can track it with IP address etc. no MB employee in his rite mind would loose his/her job over some web access. Looks very sketchy to me, as soon as MB finds out about this company it will be shut down in a hurry, I wouldn't touch it

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Chinese versions of the MB Star Diagnostics?

Here's one advertised for $386 shipped ... what do you think?

Wholesale professional diagnostic MB Star C3

Fast960
Hi Fast960,
I can't comment specifically on this piece of kit, but generally in the UK, Chinese equipment 'clones' are attractive on price, but a bit short on quality, warranty, and technical backup. If there is an American distributor that handles these aspects for you then that's better, but the general grammar of the advert suggests you would be buying direct from China, so unless you are fluent in technical Mandarin you may have a problem when you have your first query. It also worries me that the unit has a MB Star logo on it. MB would never allow this which tends to suggest a totally unauthorised product just like my Calvin Klein (or are they Kalvin Clein?....) underpants :D.

I may be doing this company a disfavour, in which case I apologise, but I think you should tread carefully.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
Hi Fast960 I read a lengthy thread on the W211 forum on the matter and a few things good and bad came up. But what caught my eyes is that some of the Chinese hard drives that usually come with these items are often full of viruses and quality is sometimes not very good but there are some American sourced items are not so bad.
So my suggestion is to have a look at the thread in the W211 forum and read it all and then decide which route to go.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,092 Posts
These are clones of the original MB software, usually sold as a computer hard drive that has to be plugged into a laptop (usually a Thinkpad T5).

Apparently they do work properly, and many independent workshops have them.

The MB original cost thousands of Dollars/Euros, which is why these clones are so attractive.

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you all .... You've made a lot of good points ... not being able to access MB sites, viruses, language bariers , lack of service etc ....

also that some believe it to work effectively .... I read a bobterry99 comment suggesting that they do work ...

*Hopefully, someone who does have one will chime in and share their experience with us ....

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe u can be that one person...
I'd be happy to if I had one and had any experience with it ... but I don't have any experience with it and I do not have one ... do you?

Regards,
Fast960

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
I'd be happy to if I had one and had any experience with it ... but I don't have any experience with it and I do not have one ... do you?

Regards,
Fast960
Again Fast960 if you want first hand experience please go to the W211 and do search for the thread I mentioned in my other post and read it all. There are a lot on good infos on the matter.

Happy reading.

Cheers

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading the W211 thread ...

Again Fast960 if you want first hand experience please go to the W211 and do search for the thread I mentioned in my other post and read it all. There are a lot on good infos on the matter.

Happy reading.

Cheers
Thank-you Msbarsi ... I did go to the forum and read the entire thread ... it has mixed reviews some good and some bad and some indifferent ... according to some it's a great system that works while others say it's a complete waste of money .... it seems they are illegally made units and the suppliers are touch-n-go ..... not sure if I want the headaches but I sure wish I could read the soft-top codes! hmmmmm ......

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer

Where's Ray? (RKH)

He has a good system if I recall.
Hello elbeik ..... Yes I believe Ray has the carsoft 7.4 multiplexer ... He sounds like he's happy with it but wishes it would read the soft-top codes if I remember correctly .....

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,228 Posts
The Carsoft 7.4 is a reliable option that can be had for $100, sadly only carsoft 7.6 can deal with the softop and this does not appear as a clone yet.
Anyone looking for the Carsoft 7.4 with multiplexer should be careful that the main 38 pin plug and lead has all the pins connected. Some of the units dont. Deal Extreme has them but is often out of stock. At the moment they have them for $105 shipped, All wires connected. Not Star diagnostics but cheap as chips.

DealExtreme: $105.09 MB Carsoft 7.4 Interface Multiplexed MCU Interface for Mercedes Benz

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,028 Posts
I do not have one but have access to one. Its quite easy to use....plug and play basically.. run thru the codes. It tells u the ONE or many that are faulty, allows u to read all the codes clear the codes and even has a picture part placement so u know what u are replacing and where it goes. Quite nice actually.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I do not have one but have access to one. Its quite easy to use....plug and play basically.. run thru the codes. It tells u the ONE or many that are faulty, allows u to read all the codes clear the codes and even has a picture part placement so u know what u are replacing and where it goes. Quite nice actually.
djblu sorry for the stupid question but just for clarity: do you have Carsoft or a SDS clone?

Cheers.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,028 Posts
not mine.... A "former" forum members... but its the real deal..... not a clone....And he hooked my car up to it the other day and even saw the code from 3 years ago when i broke the light bulb on my door and drove to the dealer to get a new one. Very cool tool. very cool.

I would steer clear of a clone as u just dont know if its gonna work correctly and u are opening your self up to mis diagnosis.

Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
not mine.... A "former" forum members... but its the real deal..... not a clone....And he hooked my car up to it the other day and even saw the code from 3 years ago when i broke the light bulb on my door and drove to the dealer to get a new one. Very cool tool. very cool.

I would steer clear of a clone as u just dont know if its gonna work correctly and u are opening your self up to mis diagnosis.
Which changes the question to whether it is Carsoft or SDS.

·
Registered
500 sl nautical blue 1991 110 000km
117 Posts
HI!
I'm very interested in knowing if MBstar C3 as sold on those previous sites (chinese) are able to read soft top codes (38pins ) because it's a real lack with the Carsoft 7.4 ...and I can't afford a genuine Carsot 7.6 :(:(

Have somebody tried the MB STAR release C4 ...what improvements compare to C3??
Thanks for your replies .

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I will ask him.

It was quite the impressive tool i must say.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,182 Posts
Where's Ray? (RKH)

He has a good system if I recall.
I've been away (sightseeing in Egypt for 2 weeks) so did not read this until now.

I have a Carsoft-7.4 Chinese Clone and quite happy with it. It does just about anything I needed but then my car does not have any problem (so far). So I've been just using it for 'routine' checkup, running full scan once a while, but no code shown.

More than happy to share what (little) I know about it. Just ask.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts