Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the check oil light came on at 1794 miles, I figured this is no big deal, I'll just add oil. Stupid me! MB doesn't even bother to list the oil specs on the owner's manual, they have an entire separate booklet- the "Factory Approved Service Products (insert date here) ", and the lubricants listed don't appear to be widely available. Has anyone located Mobil 1 SuperSyn, Pennzoil, or Quaker State European Fomula (as specified) in their local AutoZone or Pep Boys? What is the difference between Euro spec oil and US spec oil, besides the obvious "it must be more expensive"? By the way, MB claims that not using the specified oil can cause damage which of course wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Maybe we all should just let them add all fluids as needed. They could even spec MB approved gasolines from the Fatherland.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I work for them, tell me about it,lol. My US spec car has Mobil 1 syn from the factory. Used it in my a vehicle and never any engine problems with them. Should have probably been running it in my boat last summer when I exploded the 502 Mag. Dooh.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40 is the recommended oil by Mercedes-Benz and AMG.

At least that's what my dealer tells me... also there's a sticker in the engine bay that says "Mobil 1" but doesn't mention viscosity specs.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
...and last time I was at Sam's Club (or was that CostCo?), they had a case of Mobil 1 0W40 for a good price. I've seen it at local auto parts retailers too but not everywhere.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
masmole - 4/11/2005 8:55 PM

Mobil 1 0W40 is the recommended oil by Mercedes-Benz and AMG.

At least that's what my dealer tells me... also there's a sticker in the engine bay that says "Mobil 1" but doesn't mention viscosity specs.
Is the Mobil 1 0W40 the same as the Mobil SuperSyn?

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
When I had to add oil I contacted road service using Tele-aid. They confirmed they saw my car needed oil and said that Mobile 1 is the proper oil to use. Mobile makes several grades of synthetic, but only one is called Mobile 1.

Bill

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 4/12/2005 6:34 AM
Is the Mobil 1 0W40 the same as the Mobil SuperSyn?
The three types I have seen are Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean 7500, and Mobil 1 Extended Performance
As shown on their web site:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Home/Homepage.aspx

[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Pep Boys and AutoZone - neither carries the particular Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula, even though the Mobil1 website says that all AutoZones carry it. My dealer says they'll give me a quart (if they can find an empty bottle) since they get it in 55 gallon drums.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Here's a photo of the oil you need...

Mobil 1 10W-40 SuperSyn European Car Formula which I can buy at my local AutoZone or Wal Mart.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the picture. My local Autozone now says they could possibly order it, with arrival late this week . Walmart hasn't a clue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts