Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Porsche 911 / 2013 ML350 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of Magnaflow. I used their stuff for all of the American muscle cars in my past. Their reputation is unquestionable. I'm in the planning stages of replacing the stock exhaust on my 1987 560SL, and my idea is to start right behind the 02 sensor and replace all the pipe with 2 1/2 or 3" stainless, use a small Magnaflow cat to replace the stock cat/resonator, and then on back to a single in - dual out Magnaflow muffler to somewhat replicate the stock look with the stock muffler tips if they can be salvaged.

NOW the question: How can I configure the system with the right parts so that it does not sound like every other Mustang or Camaro on the street? Using stock replacements is both impractical and cost-prohibitive - I want more rumble than the stock system provides, plus the MB replacements are crazy expensive. Maybe it's not possible to do a replacement system that has a unique Euro sound - maybe AMG-like? - but I thought it would not hurt to ask.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2003.5 600CL; 94 e320; 1985 500 SEC; 1985 300D Turbo. Many others over the years ...
253 Posts
NOT SURE WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT IN MD, ANY CAR OVER 20 YEARS OLD CAN BE TAGGED HISTORIC AND THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO PASS EMISSIONS TESTS. THIS ENABLED ME TO ELIMINATE ONE OF THE CATS. ALSO TOOK OUT THE KIDNEYS BUT KEPT THE STOCK REAR CAN. MAY TRY AND REPLACE THAT WITH A MAGNAFLOW OR EVEN SOMETHING PRICIER & BETTER SOUNDING DEPENDING ON THE $$. BUT JUST BY REMOVING THESE 3 CHOKE POINTS, THE CARE WENT FROM FANTASTIC TO F-ING AMAZING. STILL SOUNDS NICE AND CIVIL @ IDLE, BUT HIT THE GAS, AND IT ROCKETS FORWARD, SOUNDING COOLER THAN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW, BRO. I KNOW IT DOESN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH MENTIONING, SEEING AS THE PRICE OF A NEW CAT IS PROHIBITIVE. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1999 Porsche 911 / 2013 ML350 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I live in Kansas, so I'll have to check the state regs on this one. Lucky my son works for the DMV!! At least for now, there is no emissions testing in Kansas, but I think that there is some restriction on removing the cat. I will definitely check out the age limit for historic vehicles. In Kansas, they call them "Antique" vehicles. :)

·
Registered
94 SL600
19 Posts
There is no emission testing in KS, they do not inspect your vehicle for cats but if the vehicle was manufactured with converters, by law shops are not allowed to remove them no matter what the age. That doesnt meant here arent shops that say "if it's not there when it came in, I'll go ahead and work on it".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts