Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'04 SIIK
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm a MB newbie and have some quick questions for you guys.

First, let me introduce myself. Names Mikey, I live in Schaumburg, IL. 21 years old and a proud owner of Honda S2000.

2nd, let me tell you that SIIKs a Fantastic car. Looks wonderful, 240HP from 2.2L 4 cylinder(not bad), sporty, track ready handling, and it's not so expensive. Though, spent countless money tuning the car.

OK, now I'll get to the point. I'm liking both SLK55 and XLR. I have hard time making the best/right choice. I'm trying to move up a lvl, from pure bred sporty cars to luxo-sporty cars. Both have ups and downs. I may be picky, but I would want something I'll be satisfied with.

BTW, I have test drove both cars. Awesome rides. Oh and am not looking forward to race.

First up MB SLK55
PROS - 7speed gears
V8 355hp @ 5,750 rpm 376lb-ft @ 3,500 rpm
0-60MPH under 5(?)
Roof down from outside
AMG Speedshift 35% faster
Very comfortable interior
2-tone nappa leather seats
ETC...
CONS - bit small maybe smaller than my SIIK

Next will be the XLR
PROS - Looks sharp
4.6L Northstar V8 VVT
DVD player with touch screen and voice recog.
Onstar
Coolseats
Active cruise control
HUD
Magnetic Ride Control
Keyless entry with start button
ETC...
definitely a head-turner
CONS - bit long, wide, high and heavy
5Speed
high dashboard (I'm 6ft. yet very hard to see the front)

Inconclusion, I'm leaning towards MB SLK55 AMG. Still, XLR is a badass car. Any suggestions/advices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ps - Shinigami(god of death I believe...)and masmole, seems like you guys have much knowledge on SLK55. Please comment or respond to this newbie. Thanks again.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
There's other people here too with lots of knowledge of the 55 (because they own one [;)]).

Do you visit the s2ki forum too? The S2000 is a nice car, definitely a more 'different' ride then an MB.

Anyway, personally, I think the XLR is one of the ugliest cars ever made (both in, and outside), it looks like a brick, and there's no harmony on the fitting of the interior. Also, a quick glance to a Cadillac forum will show a ton of problems, both electrical (radio won't play, buttons when pressed, do nothing, etc...) down to body pieces falling off just like that. Seems like the whole Cadillac "quality" is being questions.

And to top it off, I read some rumors that the average age of a Cadillac driver was 68 or something. Even though MB is also perceived as the "car for the older generation" in many circles, I don't think I'd want to go quite as far as the aging look of the Cad.

But hey, whatever rocks your boat. The standard XLR won't be as fast, but might have more gadjets for you to play with. The SLK has a root mechanism which is light years ahead of the XLR's (which btw, is not even comparable to that of the older model SLK's), and if you open the roof of the XLR in a closed garage, you might end up with the boot hitting the ceiling due to the ridiculous amount that it has to open itself up in order to stow the XLR roof.

You stated that you were able to drive both of them, so use this as your guideline. Of course, if you want any specific information on the SLK, this is the place to come to. If you want more info on the XLR, visit some Cad forums. In the end, the decision is yours and I doubt what others say on forums will truly influence your decision buying [;)]

I have the 55 and think the car looks gorgeous. It's a hoot to drive, and the electronics do it for me. I've done 4k miles, and have had no problems as of yet. The services are at 10k miles and so far I've only added a little extra oil to top her up. The standard rims are a pain to clean, but that's life. The nano paint protects you from SLIGHT scratches and scuffs, but NOT from rock chips flying at your car 100mph (this is one of those misunderstood features of the nano paint. Everyone who heard of it, misunderstood it for being a harder type of paint, but even this cannot protect it against the laws of physics, but I can see that it IS stronger then the paint I had in my old SLK).

There's also a LOT of tuner stuff available for the SLK (the old one had a ridiculous amount of stuff on offer), and if you like to mod a car, then the SLK would be the way to go. You can change the radio antenna to an SL stub, give it chrome wings or side mirrors (if that floats your boat), comes with a larger repertoire of interior and exterior colors (especially with the Designo format, which however is more expensive), and if you want, it is possible to change some parts of the interior from the rubbery plastic surface, to alcantara leather.

Well, this is the stuff that comes to mind at the moment. If you want answers to specific questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, and if you're planning on having your car a bit later, then maybe wait for the next model with 400hp as opposed to 360, or go with a Kleemann kompressor setup (which although expensive, will pump it up to almost 600hp). Even a simple LSD installation (which is cheaper) can shave up to .3 seconds from your 0-60, which according to some magazines and websites, is as low as 4.5 seconds or there abouts (MB underrates their cars, and then 4.9 is a conservative estimate).

p.s. The new SLK 'looks' smaller, but it's larger then the older one by several inches. I think it might even be larger then the S2000, and if you're looking for keyless go, the car will probably have it in the 2007 year edition.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
tekrok1,

Welcome to the group. I have an SLK 350 so my comment is purely about style. Being a 21 year old, the SLK should be the hands down choice. It's image is of a younger person's car. I know that we buy cars for ourselves rather than for what other people think but if you drive around in a Cadillac (any type) people will assume that you are driving your father's car.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
My advice is: I would not even drive the Caddy if it wss given free to me.... I kid you not.... It is comparable to comparing travel by bicycle to the space shuttle! Not only is the Caddy one of the ugliest cars ever made, it will probably be worth less in 3 year's time than a scooter.

But then again, thats just me talking, life is short, so buy what makes you happy at heart [:I]

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
The Caddy is way too trendy and the style will gag you in a few years. The SLK is very classic and will still look beautiful even after future model changes.

JMHO

Roberta[:)]

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
I agree with my owner mates. As well, the car is much faster driving than the stated 4.9 0-60. Car and Track has it out the box at 4.5 seconds. The yet to come out XLR V edition is another story as far as performance, but it's still going to be a Caddy and I doubt the ride will ever be as sporty as the SLK. The V series will also be close to $100K.

GM quality continues to be shoddy at best. I've owned a Fiero (heavily mod'd with a 355hp engine), 1995 Impala SS, 2000 C5 Vette, and 2004 Viper (I know its a Dodge, but American) they all were far worse in quality then my 2003 SL500 and my new SLK 55. Plus, they're in two totally different classes. You should be comparing the SL500 with XLR on size, price, and driver perception. At the end of the day, I agree with the distinguished lady from Wisconsin on the styling. In 3 years you will look like your driving in "Back to the Future" with Michael J Fox with an XLR. With the SLK, people will still allude to it's striking design and pleasing shape. IMHO.

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
I too looked at the Cadillacs at a local dealer. I almost bought the V model sedan-400 hp, 6 spd, Brembro brakes etc, etc. TERRIBLE orange peel paint!!!
I thought I would look at the MB dealership to see what the 350s looked like in person-I was in awe at the quality of the paint. I bought the 6 speed manual and have 400 miles on it.
The main reason I chose the MB was the problems I had with a 2004 Corvette. Heating/AC was functional for about a month and then both quit. Typical GM lack of quality control.
We have 2 SLKs, an Audi and our everyday around town car is a Toyota Matrix.
No more American cars until the quality is on par with the imports.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Sadly, the XLR already makes me gag, looks wise :\

·
Registered
'04 SIIK
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<marquee behavior=alternate>[:)]Thanks all[:)].</marquee>

[:O]WOW[:O]. Your opinions/comments/advices were great. Made it very clear. I see that no one here like the XLR, and I've also read that it will be going down the drain very soon(like most of you mentioned).

Well, I was leaning towards the SLK55, anyway. Yet, there is something about the XLR that pulls me towards her. I don't know what it is. Maybe its just me. I do agree that all Caddies do look-alike. Sharp edges, long, big, tall, and heavy. Though Caddys nice and all, I'm all SLK55! Hands down, feet planted! Thanks all!

Now this newbie got some questions to all SLK55 AMG owners.
How is the handling?
Bit too stiff?
Hugs the curb?

MB Dealer rep wouldn't let me unleash the dragon in her so I couldn't find out.

Few more questions.
Will 20in dubs fit on the SLK?
If it does, when you corner fast, will it touch the car?
And I'm thinking about installing MTX 12in subs BEHIND the seats. Will it fit?
Stupid newbie question... what does AMG stand for?

Shinigami, you said next models will have 400+HP?
Interesting. When will come out? Late '06?
You've also mentioned tht Kleeman kompressor setup will pump it up to 600HP. Isn't thata super-charger? Price ranged @ $10,000+? If so,[xx(] <-(hope that explains how I feel)

SLK55s $68,962 with some options and accessories, plus another $10,000+ OUCH!
On second thought, it's not that bad, because the XLRs priced @ $76,650.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for helping me making the right decision. I won't regret it RIGHT?! [:D] JP. RIDE ON!

·
Registered
'04 SIIK
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were to place an order today... How does it usually take to get the car? 3-6months? 6-9months? hope not long...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Depends on your country and city. Over here, it can be as little as 3 month. In the states, some have reported several months, to a year or more. In those cases, it depends on how many were allocated for that particular dealer.

I think 20" will be too big. The car isn't HUGE, and 19" (biggest I saw so far), were already huge.

The springs are stiff, but not too stiff. 20" might indeed rub, but since nobody here has tried it, it's on your own use and peril.

I think the car handles quite well, but it's always best to go for driving school and so on if you want to get the most out of a car. It's more a case of how well you drive, not how well the car handles. A good driver can do miracles in a relatively modest car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts