Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Several fellow benzworld members have asked me about an index for the MB Service CDs. There are a lot of PDF files & information on the CDs that can be difficult to access quickly & easily.
I think you'll like this different approach to these CDs.

About a year ago I came upon this post on the www.mbcanada.com website, from which I quote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,

I just found this fine site and thought I'd say Hi. I hope it is OK for foreigners to post here on MBCanada.com! I'm not sure how many of you use the MB-USA Service Library CDs, but I thought that in case any of you do, you might be interested in my Indexes.

I and several volunteers have now completed the fifth Index of the MB Service Library CD Project. The Model 107 Index is now available for you roadster fans at:
MB Service Library CD Index Project

These Indexes were made to make it easier to use your MB-USA Service Library CD. You simply download the ZIP file of the Model of your choice, unZip, read and follow the simple instructions contained in the ReadMe file. You will copy the files from your CD(s) onto your hard drive.

Now finding the correct job in your CD manual will be much faster.

So the following Models are available at the above web site for download: Models 107, 116, 123, 124 and 126. As always, if anyone has any questions or suggestions, or if you have any problems, please ask away.

The Model 201 will probably be next, or possibly the Model 114/115 if I can find the CD. I could use some more volunteers on both of these Models.

Please Note: these Indexes are completely free and yours for the downloading. I consider them my repayment to the MB community for the help I have recieved from others and the friends I have met through forums such as this.

Kind regards,

Steve
Seattle
------------------------------------------------------
I've been in touch with Steve and he has kindly given us at benzworld, access to this index tool & installation instructions found on the site below.

http://homepage.mac.com/dakota/1/index.html

I think you will find his work quite helpful, I know I have. Here is a screenshot for you.

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
excellent work ! Now all i need is the PDFs i dont suppose anyone wants to link me to them lol.

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Anyone can tell me where I can download the PDFs

Thanks

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
YOU CAN'T you have to have the original cds read the thread

MBGary

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i know, i was just joking. Im gonna have to order em up.

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
5 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I just bought the cd's from someone on ebay for a pretty large sum and they weren't even the originals [:(!]

I'll make and ship copies for $5 (possibly a little more if you live outside of US). I'm tired of seeing people get ripped by people selling dupes and trying to pass them off as orignals. I tried looking for the pdf's when I first got the car but no luck. PM me if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
....so like where do you buy the service CD's from? and hopw much are they worth?

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
5 Posts
am3037 - 4/3/2005 6:16 AM

....so like where do you buy the service CD's from? and hopw much are they worth?
I'll pretend you didn't see my post above offering the service manuals for $5 [8)]

You can purchase authentic ones (i.e. non-copies) from almost any MB dealer. I think the price is somwhere around $125-$175.

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
I am a thick bastard!

Where do I sign for delivery to Australia? or is there a newsgroup i can leech them from (alt.binaries preferred)

Cheers

Aaron

·
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi am3037 or any W126 enthusiast,

Consider the offer. [:)]

Regards, MBL

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Hi MLB,

I just bought a 2-CD "copy" of the manuals. The first disk works fine, but the second stalls my system and seems to have the exact same content as the first. What is the difference between disks one and two?

thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I have copies I bought and copies that were given to me, among the four disks I manage to get some info. It does sound like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
andrew_falky - 10/16/2005 8:59 PM

Hi MLB,

I just bought a 2-CD "copy" of the manuals. The first disk works fine, but the second stalls my system and seems to have the exact same content as the first. What is the difference between disks one and two?

thanks,

Andrew

the first disc containts information for some of the 126s the 2nd for the rest. I think the 1st is for 1st gen and 2nd for 2nd...I think

Kris

·
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Andrew,

Sounds like some of the data on the second CD is corrupted? That was true of some bootleg copies I purchased off an ebay seller.

As I'm sure you are aware, I got a second set from MB Classic Center.

One of the differences between Disc 1 & Disc 2 is the Inline engine PDFs reside in CD1, while the V engines are on CD 2. I've not devoted much time comparing the two discs though..

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
MBL,

I probably bought the same corrupted discs - get what you paid for. Anyway, it looks like disc 1 covers most of the day to day issues.

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
I have my own thread wrt to the 500 SE W126 repair manual I'm seeking...thought I'd share this info with you all, and ask for your opinion as to whether or not the sky is being offered with this repair manual on CD, and whether it's a reasonable price.

It's located at Ebay.com...I'm following this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8010416259&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

[:p]

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
If you cant get the WIS to work, its a good reference manual.

I bought mine for $20 (AUD) which is substantially less than what they want.

I had problems installing it on my old computer but it went on OK on my new computer (both running XP so go figure!).

It is what the MB workshops use and is pretty comprehensive but takes a while to learn to use.

I've also got the MBUSA service manuals and find myself going to them first usually (MBL got them for me - thanks).

Cheers

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
I bought copies from Ebay UK ( 2 CD's) They are the same as the one Kingorcus posted on this fourm 8/24/2005 - http://mb.braingears.com
You don't have to buy the Service Libary. Just cut & paste the above website - alls there.
I also have 2 DVD's spare parts, but having problems installing them on the computer. Anyone have these?

·
Registered
659 Posts
sss11 - 10/29/2005 12:33 PM

I bought copies from Ebay UK ( 2 CD's) They are the same as the one Kingorcus posted on this fourm 8/24/2005 - http://mb.braingears.com
You don't have to buy the Service Libary. Just cut & paste the above website - alls there.
I also have 2 DVD's spare parts, but having problems installing them on the computer. Anyone have these?
I checked the website, but no 500 SE model. (That's my problem here....always 500 SEL listed in manuals, but nothing on 500 SE....)

What do you suggest? Naturally, I only wanna buy it if the engine numbers are the same for the 500 SEL? (My engine number is 11796512027455.)

The good thing about the ebay listed sale for the CD-Rom is that 500 SE is listed, although, yes, I agree, it's a little pricey.

Any thoughts, folks?

[?][?]

(While writing, I'll e-mail Braingears.com and ask them whether the 500 SEL CD manual is compatible -- my one hang up with contacting such companies is their snail-pace speed in replying -- I have yet to receive a reply from MBUSA -- asked last week. [:(!][V]

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just checked the braingears.com site and it seems the link is a lemon...no downloads available (It's a dead link. [:0]) The other prob is that the first few digits of the engine numbers for the 500 SEL and 500 SEC listed are 117963, and not 117965. [:0], and my 1989 500 SE is the latter.

All there is is a link to MBUSA. OK, I'm back to having to get a response from them. I really hope I can get this sorted out. [:(]

Peeps, any views on the Ebay purchase I might indulge in?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts