Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo, 126xxx miles
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, just came across some news about the existing Roadside Assistance program provided by MB; looks like they are changing the eligibility requirements, which will probably exclude most of the members on this forum, unfortunately.

Program changes: Mercedes-Benz - Roadside Assistance Program Enhancements Expanded Free Towing

The kicker: "Your vehicle must have been regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership prior to your Roadside Assistance request."

·
Registered
1981 300D Sedan
12 Posts
I got a letter to that effect from MB- as an older vehicle driver, AAA has always been part of my wallet toolkit, so I never expected to use the MB roadside service. I was impressed with the universal road assistance provided by MB to all MBs, and now I'm impressed at the positive spin the letter put on restricting the service. I can't say I blame them.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
I never used, nor had I ever planned to use MB's Roadside Assistance. It was still a nice bragging right when it came to discussing other manufacturers.

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
say huh? was there ever a chance that roadside assistance would apply to my 32 year old Benz? I never even considered that.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
say huh? was there ever a chance that roadside assistance would apply to my 32 year old Benz? I never even considered that.
Yep. Until December 31st, MB will bring your 32 year old car a few gallons of gas, jump the battery, even change out your flat tire with your spare. Those 3 services are complimentary to all MB owners in the US until after that date.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read somewhere on that posting that if you spend a minimum of $100 on dealer parts you still qualify for the program. Probably doesn't stack up well against AAA's membership fees, but then again, this is Mercedes we're talking about.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I don't see where it says that the old roadside program will be dropped. All it says is that free towing is added with certain restrictions.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
I don't see where it says that the old roadside program will be dropped. All it says is that free towing is added with certain restrictions.
They kinda glossed over that other part.
See this link: Mercedes-Benz - Roadside Assistance Eligibility and Coverage Details

If your vehicle:

• Is out of warranty

• Not regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership

• Not purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership
Then:
Please visit an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership for service to qualify for Roadside Assistance. Or, you may purchase each individual service through the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center at the time of service.

As of January 1, 2011, Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance will offer the following complimentary services for eligible vehicles:

• Sign & Drive
- Replace a flat tire with a spare
- Jump start
- Small amount of fuel, should the vehicle run out
• Towing to the nearest authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Hm. My 2 pfennigs: I figure if I go to my local dealer for annual valve inspect/adjust/oil/filter, keep my parts account current, I ought to be eligible still.

The occasional box of donuts to the parts wallahs, a bottle of wine at xmas for the Fixed Ops honcho couldn't hurt either, just sayin'.

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Now this is how you really know its all down hill from here :/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When we purchase parts at the dealer, does that count?

I could email my parts guy and try to verify this.
I'm guessing that does qualify based on the following:

Is out of warranty, and is regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership (a single transaction of at least $100 in the 18 months prior to the Roadside call)

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
Hm. My 2 pfennigs: I figure if I go to my local dealer for annual valve inspect/adjust/oil/filter, keep my parts account current, I ought to be eligible still.

The occasional box of donuts to the parts wallahs, a bottle of wine at xmas for the Fixed Ops honcho couldn't hurt either, just sayin'.
I see my Mercedes Parts guys every week. We're on a first name basis, Mat, Steve, Les. spent $1,000s'. The Cashier say's she's getting me my own parking space. However, they haven't serviced my car in six years. Alas, it probably doesn't qualify me.

Funny thing though, on the service, I have a premium AAA with towing 200 miles and extras. My wife drives a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. Guess which one of us has never used it and which one does all the time. She has 150K I have 250K.

·
Registered
1977 230, 1990 300E 2.6
243 Posts
The calls for roadside assistance don't go through your dealer. Yes, the actual assistance vehicle, if stranded near home, may come from your dealer but I doubt the central assistance center will have record of parts you purchased. I think this is an unfortunate change but perhaps many folks with older Benz cars were abusing the service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts