Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

Finally found a local car audio place that does Benzes - still haven't made it to Mobile Innovations dewdaltz [;)]

This place is an authorized MB Quart reseller, but the sales guy is really down on their speakers. Tells me they are "too bright" and "fake sounding". Instead he suggests Boston Acoustics.

I haven't sound tested either brand (I will) , but am wondering if he's on target with his assessment of MB Quart.

Anyone feel the same way? Anyone think BA is better?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 Ford F250 Superduty
815 Posts
mb's have been known to be brighter sounding that most. They have even been called "tinny". but i think with proper planning the right set up can prove to sound great. you can set the tweater attenuation at the xover and also set your hi and low pass filters on the amp. i have the reference series mb's in mine and i think they sound incredible. mb's are also known to be "power hungry" so make sure if you go with them, make sure you give them at least the factory recommended wattage if not 20% more.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I've had both. Alot of the sound difference depends on the art of the installer. They are both excellent speakers and you can't go wrong with either. The quarts are tuned for strong mid's and highs and are very clean. I find all the German brands are tuned this way, accurate, clean, clear. I like this and use this in my home and cars. The Bostons are also very clean but with more emphasis on the Mid-bass. I find this muddies the sound for me but really, unless your going side by side it's hard to tell. I ended up putting Bostons in the back door of the ML while the Quarts went up front where I hear them. If Bass is important to you then the bostons might work better as the driver on mine are HUGE. Since I have a Sub-woofer in my setup it wasn't as important and I chose the clarity of Quarts.

The orientation of the tweeter in the sail panel will also make a big difference on brightness and should be something you discuss with your installer. Even within brands the response can differ greatly so choosing the right pieces and setup are very important. This applied to the aiming of the tweeters also. Mine are pointed at the other window not at my face. For me this gave me a perfect left right balance at my head so that my stereo does not need to compensate by adjusting the balance or fader. Remember, the tweeter on your door is much closer to your head than the other one. Often it'll sound like it's unbalanced to the left. If installed correctly, you won't have to unbalance your amps.

Since this guys a dealer he must have a setup on a wall somewhere that you can listen to and decide for yourself as ultimately it's a very personal decision. Side by side comparisons are the only way you'll really know what you like. One more thing to consider, when the pieces go into the vehicle the sound will change again due to things in each car such as the steering wheel or someone's legs or sound deadening or even how it bounces off the windshield. These factors may influence if the sounds get amplified or muffled so something really bright in the demo room may sound perfect in a car. When I did my install we actually tested tweeters in my car by attaching different tweeters in place temporarily. We even tried putting the tweeters down in the door or up in the sail panels and on the dash. Like I said it's also part of the art of the install.

Good luck

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! great info on the replies, guys! This is going to really help me when I take the truck in for a follow-up consult next week! I like the idea of trying out the tweeters with temporary placement. Can't wait to actually hear these bad boys.[:D]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts