Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that don't get Automobile Magazine there is an article on the declining quality of German automakers, specifically focusing on MB. I thought it would be of interest here as they say the last Real Mercedes was the 86-91 S class[:D]

I'll scan the article tonight and hopefully post it for those that would like to have a look.

Jonathan

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I read it. Its strange how most of the photos in the article are of a broken Mercedes star as if to say the whole article will be about Mercedes but its about the whole German car market. There is a side article about Mercedes only and it mentions that Mercedes stopped the heavy duty, over engineered, brickhouse build quality with the '91 S-Class. There's also a funny article in the same issue written by their 25-year-old writer who takes an SL65 to a Florida drag strip on a Saturday night. Its great reading.

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Jonathan:

can you please post the article when you have a chance..
I hear the new S class is nice but that's becuase it is still new.... the one common problem I know is the air suspension....I also read horrible stories about the W140

I love the W140 look but I also love my W126

it is classy and a real benz, and it always reminds of the old days(my childhood) when I drive it..

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
i subscribe to automobile magazine and i read that article as soon as i got my issue. it's my favorite car magazine, but that article was very disappointing. it was vague, inconsistent, and shallow -- it didn't really say anything we don't already know. you could tell the author didn't really do any research, but just regurgitated some random bits of common knowledge. and his big conclusion about mercedes at the end is that the company made the same mistake that hitler did in the 1940s -- "advancing on too many fronts." how dumb is that?

as an aside, there was a 4-seasons 500E wrap-up in a preceding issue of automobile; that car got 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, was praised highly by staff, and had nothing major break in one year of heavy-duty service.

what i would really like to know about mercedes' reliability problems is how much of the stuff that breaks interferes with the car's functioning in an important way, and/or is a mechanical failure. everyone keeps blaming the decline in reliability on "technology" but i'd like to know what, exactly, it is that makes people have to take their new benzes back to the dealer for repairs...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Kingorcus - 3/8/2005 11:09 PM

I love the W140 look but I also love my W126
I also find the 140 strangely appealing (perhaps I just like big MBs); the 140 was also considered an over engineered brick house of a car – poorly engineered, perhaps, but a bank vault none the less. The 126 was the last of the over engineered MBs to also exhibit excellent build quality and reliability.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
what the hell, here is the article -- you guys can judge for yourselves. if you can make ut the small font, that is...

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Janos.. can you reupload the pictures? Only the top half appears.

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
Yeah, pretty much another bullshit article from some guy who doesn't care to educate himself. Can you really compare the build quality and reliability of Japanese cars with manual window cranks and mid-90s sophistication (power door locks, maybe, possibly a keyless entry system) with an electro-mechanical maze such as an S600?

If one car has seven features, they're far less likely to break than a car with seventy features. Granted, carmakers who choose to use seventy features should find a way to make them work reliably and not use that as an excuse, but oftentimes it's not how it works. In the end, the ol' engineer joke goes: If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet [:D]

Besides, I would be led to believe that only entry-level models would carry most of the reliability problems, but I know plenty C230 owners who are happy with their car. Still, I doubt a $170,000 CL65 will have many stupid problems.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
here is a link to the 4-seasons wrapup on the E500. i know it's the wrong forum and all, but since we're discussing quality and reliability, i thought it was pertinent. plus, i have to admit, i'm in love with the w211 E500. specifically, a black-on-black E500 4Matic wagon. for now, though, my w124 E320 black-on-grey RWD wagon will have to do...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0502_mercedes_benz_e500_four_seasons/

·
Registered
1995 Jeep Cherokee
28 Posts
I too like the way that the new E500 wagon looks, and it's so much more appealing than either of the M-class' SUV's. By the way, there is also a new E55 wagon out in the US

1 - 13 of 13 Posts