Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my first ever MB, I expected the premium cost of a car kit to provide near perfect quality. I accept there may be some reduced quality at speed, but not crusing at 70mph.

To highlight this point to my dealer I called my sales guy while on the motorway, I purposfully spoke no louder than I have to in other cars with well fitted kits. He asked me to speak up, ultimatly I had to take the phone from the cradle, at which the sales guy said "thats much better I couldn't hear you before, what have you done?"

Overall my problems are as follows;
- occasionally at max volume callers still are not loud enough - but if I pick up the phone they are.

- in every case, other than when I am driving at less than 20mph, callers comment on strugling to hear me.

- the user interface to selecting numbers is terrible, having to scroll down the SIM list (perhaps this is a limitation of the phone nokia?), I wonder if the Sony Ericsson transpires the alpha numeric hold fucntion to advance through the address book.

Ultimatly I can't reliably use the kit. A mic closer to my mouth (goose neck or clip on shirt) with noise cancelling, plus the ability to make the caller volume louder is required or money back??

Am I alone in this problem - I did note one earlier post, but want to get everyones account on this.

I plan to write to my dealer asking for a resolution or refund on the kit.

Bryan.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Hi Bryan,

are you talking about driving with the roof down or up - I have a Nokia 6230 and Comand, and roof down, it is faultless up to about 70mph, over that the person I'm calling does have problms hearing me.

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No my prolems exist with the roof closed, I havn't tried with the roof open yet.

I am also using a 6230, but I have Audio 20, although I am not sure this should change the call quality just the interface, perhaps.

So I figure this is good news, perhaps I have a bad mic? or do I expect too much?!

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Unless the Comand i/f is totally different, it sounds like you do have a potential fault. Actually, when I said mine is faultless, there is one little niggle - if I am listening, not talking, the system cuts off tx from my end, until I speak again. The person on the other end thinks I've hung up!

Brian.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I haven't used mine much, but so far it seems as good as my Lincoln as far as voice clarity from both directions both top up and down (60 mph). I do hate the scrolling phone book and was extremely disappointed that I could not get voice activation dialing. My Lincoln has it. I have a Motorola V600.

Roberta[:)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
bsharp - 4/11/2005 11:52 AM

In my first ever MB, I expected the premium cost of a car kit to provide near perfect quality. I accept there may be some reduced quality at speed, but not crusing at 70mph.
70mph is the national speed limit in Australia. I dont think that is cruising speed at all. It is approaching Autobahn speed.

In any event I would have the phone system checked out and get one of the in-house people to take it for a drive. You might just have a problem with phone firmware or something as simple as that.

Did you look on the back of the cradle and also then query the phone to see what it has onboard.

Does *#0000# still work on the newer phones ?

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
I've given up making calls with the roof down. The other end just gets wind noise and not much else. It's a pitty MB didn't put a bit more effort into some noise cancelling.

My girlfriend has a Logitech bluetooth headset with some hard black stuff on the mic which seems to almost completely get rid of wind noise. Why can't MB put some of that on their microphones?

·
Registered
Caspian Blue SLK350
61 Posts
I am like Roberta. I use a MB V600 and the sound is great with top up. With it down doing 60 you can hear great but you need to speak up due to the wind.

As far as the command navigation of phone numbers. I have my frquently called numbers prefixed with an A. In that was they all are on the first menu. Much easier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts