Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking into owning a 2006+ E350 with around 40k miles pretty soon...but I've heard rumors of the incredible expense in upkeeping German cars. I've always owned Japanese since I know how to drive, and indeed they are very cheap to maintain w/ little problems...now I am looking into owning a German and wish to know what am I expecting to pay for maintenance or repair...
So please help me out, post your service cost (dealer or independent), what kind of repair/service etc.
FYI, I am located in greater Los Angeles area~i know costs differ from region to region...I appreciate all your valuable responses and time!! Thanks!!

P.S. By the way, is there any potential problems with E350? their price seems to drop like crazy...MRSP 50k+ but after merely 2 years they are priced in the 20-23k range in the pre-owned market :eek:

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
Are planning to go to a stealer, or DIY ?
When we bought our ML over 10 years ago, the standart service A cost $56 (still have receipt) Over the warranty period it raised to about $240 and that when I switched to DIY. So roughly in 10 years we spend
1000 on services with the dealer
300 for oil and filters DIY
700 for new tires and brakes
$120 for failed MAF sensor.
200 for car-wash and miscellaneous
total $2320 makes $232 annual maintenance. Not counting gasoline ;)
All car prices drop like crazy, but if you see 2-years old E350 for 20k I am all ears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my god..that doesnt sound bad at all~ @@
but that means I gotta start learning DIY.....
ok..gotta start searching what does service A B C D means...

yeah I was quite surprised about the 2006 E350 prices...did some search on autotrader.com~ mostly lease returns or auction whatever, under 40k miles, with navigation etc.
Went to inspect 3 of them this past weekend~ indeed priced in the low [email protected]@

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi all,
I am looking into owning a 2006+ E350 with around 40k miles pretty soon...but I've heard rumors of the incredible expense in upkeeping German cars. I've always owned Japanese since I know how to drive, and indeed they are very cheap to maintain w/ little problems...now I am looking into owning a German and wish to know what am I expecting to pay for maintenance or repair...
So please help me out, post your service cost (dealer or independent), what kind of repair/service etc.
FYI, I am located in greater Los Angeles area~i know costs differ from region to region...I appreciate all your valuable responses and time!! Thanks!!

P.S. By the way, is there any potential problems with E350? their price seems to drop like crazy...MRSP 50k+ but after merely 2 years they are priced in the 20-23k range in the pre-owned market :eek:
I think he's talking about base model '06's, which can indeed be found for $22-ish K with relatively high mileage for the year as the cheaper examples available, and from a shotty Indie Lot.

Yeah, Benzes and about all Luxo makers short of the exotics lose incredible value. Mainly because they sell for so much $$ initially, once they become a few years old, there's less justification to pay such a high price for something used and out of Warranty with such high running costs, that all of a sudden new Warrantied and guaranteed Honda's, etc. come into play.

Plus, most people buy them as status symbols, which means Lease then flip, which helps hurt Used value.

Good think is for a true Auto enthusiast, you can get a practically brand new Benz, which is still a car engineered, built as, and essentially still a $50+K car, enjoy all it's perks and Luxuries over newer, more economical similarly priced Used cars, and save tons of $$. While still having that "status" if that's what you're going for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
All very exciting, but any poll here will be silly.

Plan on spending $700-$1700 a year on maintenance for your MB.

If you're not maintaining it, it's deteriorating.

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
Oh my god..that doesnt sound bad at all~ @@
but that means I gotta start learning DIY.....
ok..gotta start searching what does service A B C D means...

yeah I was quite surprised about the 2006 E350 prices...did some search on autotrader.com~ mostly lease returns or auction whatever, under 40k miles, with navigation etc.
Went to inspect 3 of them this past weekend~ indeed priced in the low [email protected]@
The lease returns are most likely 3 years old. Meaning 2006 model manufactured in summer or fall of 2005

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My costs for my 05 E 4 matic since I took delivery new in feb 05 are a total of $715.00. Thats everyting except for the one minor warranty repair in late 05. Includes 2 A services and 1 B service, changing brake fluid and anti freeze. All work done at selling dealer. Free MB loaner cars were given for all the time it was in for service and my car was picked up and delivered each time. I feel thats quite reasonable, even inexpensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good think is for a true Auto enthusiast, you can get a practically brand new Benz, which is still a car engineered, built as, and essentially still a $50+K car, enjoy all it's perks and Luxuries over newer, more economical similarly priced Used cars, and save tons of $$. While still having that "status" if that's what you're going for. :thumbsup:
Yes indeed..that's why I am looking into owning one:p

thanks for all the feedbacks!

hmmm...sounds like the service cost fluctuates quite a lot from owner to owner...
just wondering, are there great variations in service cost among different classes (C, E, S, SL, SLK etc.)? or it is influenced more by the performance level (E350 vs E500/E55 etc.)?

Also, for those who owns and knows both German and Japanese cars, are Benz (and other Germans) engineered that differently that they require you to flush anti-freeze and brake fluids? :eek: not saying Japanese cars dont require you to flush anti-freeze or brake fluids...but it seems like nothing will ever go wrong even if u dont do it................

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
My son still "doesn't have time" to flush original brake fluid on his 10-years old ML,
My family drives Toyotas for years. Dropping them at the airport occasionally I have a chance to drive them. The first annoyment is the transmission geared for maximum economy. Each stronger push on gas pedal triggers gear change. And the transmission repairs on older Camry wasn't cheap at all.
MB in last years seem to be "hit or miss" in reliability. The mentioned ML model suppose to be one of the worse MB on US roads -yet it is the most reliable vehicle we have seen. My opinion is that the bad wrap on those cars is over 90% due to "learning curve" of US mechanics. Meaning if you are DIY there is no better brand for you.
If you start going to stealers -you are screwed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I have read most of the W211 problems were in the 2003 - 2004. There was a wiring harness in one of tthe front whell wells that was to sort and would fail after enough driving. Another was some connector someware that would come undone. Both of thee issue drove people crazy.

Airmatic suspensions also have a bad rap as by their nature will evenually blow a seal somewhere or have a pump failure. The fact that when this happens and all the air leaks out the car is not drivable and replacing one of the shocks is about $1500. On the other hand it is a great suspension when operating properly.

The 03' / 04's also had some sort of radiator issue in the area that cooled the transmission fluid. This often caused very expensive transmision problems. But I believe this was taken care of with a recall. Later models got the new and improved radiator at the factory.

My understandin is almost all the gremilins were worked out by 2006.

I only just bought mine within the last two weeks so I can't really comment on my maint costs yet. I am very good with a wrench so I will probably do most of the work on it myself.

BTW I paid $20,300 for a 05' E500 with about 49K miles on it. Only moonroof / Navi / HK Sound as options. Car fax showed previous owner took it to the dealer for maint every 3 months like clockwork. I bought it from a small indie dealer in OH - Newline motors. Cost $450 to ship to my door in MA. They have an E-Bay store. I couldn't be happier with the dealer, the car, and the value.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woo..that sounds like a great deal @@ i am glad u made a right decision. Thanks for the info...very insightful
i should look up that dealer....

·
Registered
113 Posts
try to buy MB CPO extend it to total 7yrs/100k miles so all you have to do is regular maintenance. as for svc costs, it's very expensive here in SF bay area - more than LA. however, from what i found w/ my last Lexus, dealer service is dealer service - it's expensive. you just want to avoid $1500-$3k repairs when you take it in for regular service. i used to buy 3 yrs old MB's for 50% off, but in today's world, you can buy it for 60% off in 2 yrs. imho, that's an unusual depreciation and is an excellent value for buyers today - if they need a car.
btw, the otehr way i think about it, if you can get a 2006 E350 for $22k CPO that's covered for 5 more yrs...assume the car's worth $5-7k, you'll be driving it for about $3k/yr, or $275/month - that's not too different than a camry over the same period. My $.02.
good luck.
Patrick

·
Registered
514 Posts
You can get a CPO '06 for 22K? Some of the cheapest examples of '06's that I see here in L.A are going for around $20K, maybe even $19K with high mileage and from an indie lot, as a base base model. Usually CPO and lower miles, as a base model, will add about $4-5K at least to that prior amount. When getting into Sport models, etc. it seems with around 30K Miles and CPO they're still going for upper 20's.... Then again that's speaking of the last time I checked, as we all know things are changing rapidly these days.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts