Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2001 PT Cruiser
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a fledgling MB wrench-turner, I have need for some advice... I replaced the front struts on my '86 190E, and now need to do some rear brake work. While consulting my manual, I am warned that various bolts are "an encapsulated type" and should be discarded and replaced. "Encapsulated type", from my observation, means they have been installed with Lock-tite. My question is this: Is there any problem with cleaning the "old bolts" and using Lock-tite when I reinstall them? The struts I replaced came with new bolts, but I'm going to be removing the rear brake calipers in order to relace the rotors...I have no new bolts for the calipers.
Thanks for your help/opinions!

· Registered
2001 PT Cruiser
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's the plan...I was just wondering why the manual seemed to stress replacing...

Thanks! That's the plan...I was just wondering why the manual seemed to stress replacing the bolts so much!

· Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,798 Posts
It is common practice to replace high strength hardware when it is removed from service...

High strength nuts and bolts are torqued to a given specification when they are installed, this stretches the bolt and deforms the threads in both the nut and bolt slightly.
Once the steel is stretched, the bolt is considered unsuitable for reuse. That's not to say the bolt is trash, but it shouldn't be used in a high stress installation again.
Does that make sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.