Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this forum. It's also my first MB. A 1989 300SE, 120,000 miles. Paid $3800 for it after my '00 300M met a violent death in a head-on collision (with an MB no less!!). With your help I replaced the cluster lights, found the info to replace exhaust hangers and a few other minor quirks for a 19 y/o car. Thank You.

It seems I have a rear brake issue. At 40 MPH I start getting this noise that I can only describe as the sound of someone running their finger around the rim of a glass. It doesn't change with speed, but does stop with a light tap on the brakes, then returns. I've found the info for adjusting the parking brake, and will get to that this weekend. There are no grinding sounds. Caliper pistons need lubrication? I know when I reach 120,000 miles I might need some!!

Thanks again for all your bruised knuckles and information. I hope I can contribute a few in the future.

Dr B

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Calipers are likely seizing or starting too.. plan on replacing your calipers. I would NOT use rebuilds..I for one do not trust some unknown qty. when hauling my car down.

Jonathan

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
Welcome. To take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies. It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information, incl. many write ups re your topic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll start there. Any general ideas as to why that might happen? Age...? Any suggestions about supply source or manufacturer? Bendix...?
Should all 4 be replaced at the same time?

Dr B

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've heard you should replace both sides in a "pair", but not all 4 (front and rear) necessarily. I don't think Bendix vs. ATE matters as much as the fact that both sides are the same on an axel. Another thing to look for at this age is the rubber brake lines, about a foot long connecting between the metal line and the caliper itself. With age they can start wearing out and not allowing fluid to properly flow, thus causing issues.

·
9,038 Posts
Just to add to this thread...my 190E made similar sounds. After examining the sound further... it was traced back to the parking brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your suggestions. Think I'll start with the brake lines then move to the calipers. Seems to me that if the problem was the parking brake the sound would continue when I applied a light tap to the service brakes.

OEM lines or braided lines?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I've heard you should replace both sides in a "pair", but not all 4 (front and rear) necessarily. I don't think Bendix vs. ATE matters as much as the fact that both sides are the same on an axel. Another thing to look for at this age is the rubber brake lines, about a foot long connecting between the metal line and the caliper itself. With age they can start wearing out and not allowing fluid to properly flow, thus causing issues.
Agreed, OEM lines should be fine, braided may force something else to fail first, but replacing before the fact does wonders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From browsing this forum, it seems, for a daily driver, OEM is generally the best bet. As a previous Corvette owner, in a long-ago past life, I do have a tendency to think "now, how can I juice this thing up"!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts