Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you want this, check out the post by 'scorchie' in the thread 'iPod kit' on the mb world R171 forum.

he says he has some of the harnesses, but has not had any customers yet!

It now seems confirmed that the kit is a CANBUS device and not a MOST device, this is why you only see the Multifunction display showing the interface and not the comand screen.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Works with Audio 20 too!

a bit of an update.

Scorchie sent me a response to my question about placement...

"the installation instructions suggest that the iPod is installed in a certain place (the SLK instructions are preliminary; if a user has a CD changer I don't think there's enough room in the glovebox). However, the cable can be routed wherever you would like by drilling a proper sized hole (about 14mm)"

i know my preferred location - got to be the central compartment thingy, its recess and elastic holder are begging for an iPod)

also he states
"What you need on the SLK is COMAND (anywhere in the world) or an Audio 20 (anywhere but the USA). This is required so that you have an auxiliary input to the stereo (the Audio 50 USA and Audio 50 APS do not have auxiliary input, so cannot be used with an iPod kit).

Once you satisfy this requirement, the iPod kit can be added. It is one wiring harness which goes from various places in the vehicle to the iPod control unit, and one cable from the control unit to the iPod itself."

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
ianx, manchester - 5/9/2005 6:02 AM
i've found another picture of the ipod demo SLK at Macworld in January.
I think I can make out a black dock connector at the bottom of the iPod, and maybe a cable disappearing down one those 1/4" x 1/8" holes, that are on either side of the iPod "slot" (I don't see what other useful purpose they would serve)?

I've just come across this video of a demo of the kit in the SLK at MacWorld. I don't think it's been posted before:

http://homepage.mac.com/olav/iMovieTheater11.html

Cheers,
---Julian

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
RE: Works with Audio 20 too!

ianx, manchester - 5/9/2005 7:12 AM

a bit of an update.

Scorchie sent me a response to my question about placement...

[stuff deleted]

also he states
"What you need on the SLK is COMAND (anywhere in the world) or an Audio 20 (anywhere but the USA). This is required so that you have an auxiliary input to the stereo (the Audio 50 USA and Audio 50 APS do not have auxiliary input, so cannot be used with an iPod kit).

[stuff deleted]
I have the Audio 20, and would like that to be true. However, I'm not convinced that the Audio 20 in the SLK has an AUX input. The diagram on page 40 of the following document (7.5MB) indicates that the Audio 20 head unit physically doesn't have one.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/287_R171/287 HO 02 Audio & Communications (CrullG) 08-02-04.pdf

It may be a US document, but I doubt if there would be one Audio 20 head unit for the US, and a different one for the rest of the world?

Is the apparent need for an AUX input why you think it's not a MOST device (which wouldn't need one)?

I'm pinning my hopes on the comment/speculation by someone some time ago (I thought it was you, because you appear to know a lot about this stuff, but I guess it wasn't) that if you've got Audio 20 AND mobile-phone pre-installation (which I have; standard on Oz SLKs), that the integration kit can be installed, presumably because you'd have the MOST ring configured for the phone (and in the boot, to boot [:)]). See pages 11/12 of the document above.

Cheers,
---Julian

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Julian, I am in the same boat as you. Audio 20 with integrated phone kit and dying for a iPOD kit, please keep this alive!!!! Without a CD changer, it is a pain in the behind changing CDs while trying to pose [:p]

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
two dogs - 5/8/2005 9:07 PM

ianx, manchester - 5/9/2005 3:05 AM
It now seems confirmed that the kit is a CANBUS device and not a MOST device ...
Ian,

What in scorchie's posts make's you say that?

Cheers,
---Julian
Hi Julian,

thats from a personal email exchange i have had with him - remember he has the harnesses in front of him ;-) and preliminary install instructions.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
two dogs - 5/8/2005 8:52 PM

I think I can make out a black dock connector at the bottom of the iPod, and maybe a cable disappearing down one those 1/4" x 1/8" holes, that are on either side of the iPod "slot" (I don't see what other useful purpose they would serve)?

I've just come across this video of a demo of the kit in the SLK at MacWorld. I don't think it's been posted before:
That video is a good find!
I've asked the person who took that picture i posted if they've got a close up - I'll keep you posted.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

two dogs - 5/8/2005 10:02 PM

I have the Audio 20, and would like that to be true. However, I'm not convinced that the Audio 20 in the SLK has an AUX input.

It may be a US document, but I doubt if there would be one Audio 20 head unit for the US, and a different one for the rest of the world?
Certain Head units do differ between the US and rest of the World - the COMAND HU being the obvious one.

Audio 20 may also differ.

A great little definitive test posted by Miroj a while ago for the Audio 20 and AUX capability was this...

"Hold down the CDC button on your Audio 20 HU to see if your unit has AUX capability"
If it does it will switch to AUX mode and display that. let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts

ianx, manchester - 5/10/2005 11:49 PM

two dogs - 5/8/2005 10:02 PM
Certain Head units do differ between the US and rest of the World - the COMAND HU being the obvious one.

Audio 20 may also differ.

A great little definitive test posted by Miroj a while ago for the Audio 20 and AUX capability was this...

"Hold down the CDC button on your Audio 20 HU to see if your unit has AUX capability"
If it does it will switch to AUX mode and display that. let us know how you get on.
Ian,

I tried that, soon after Miroj posted, hoping that if I couldn't get the iPod integration kit, at least I could get an AUX port installed in the glovebox. However, it didn't work for me, so I assume the Oz Audio 20 doesn't have an AUX input (on the SLK anyway, maybe it's different in different models?).

Cheers,
----Julian

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I will try this CDC button tonight. Assuming everything goes well and I have the AUX flash infront of my eyes (one has to be hopeful) is that a guarantee that this Aux will fit? Should I also confirm by taking the Glove box apart?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
BAZMAN - 5/10/2005 7:07 AM

I will try this CDC button tonight. Assuming everything goes well and I have the AUX flash infront of my eyes (one has to be hopeful) is that a guarantee that this Aux will fit? Should I also confirm by taking the Glove box apart?
I tried it on my standard US model radio with no luck...[V][V][V]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
The I-Pod kit would be a great addition if (1) it didn't cost $550 installed and (2) I knew that my engine oil leak was resolved. I'm hoping to end up with an '06 replacement (on MB) with factory 'Pod connector , so the dealer doesn't get a chance to mess up the interior or electronics. I know my dealer has the kits in stock and was hopeful I'd be their first 350 installation. Has anyone tried the kit yet?

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BAZMAN - 5/14/2005 2:39 AM

How many seconds do you have to hold the CDC button down? Mine is not switching to Aux mode [:(!]
A german user on Torstens board has also tried on his Audio 20. It too does not switch to AUX mode.
It would appear the R171 Audio 20 headunit does not have AUX capability in any market.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
I contacted my local MB dealer and they are telling me they have the kits for the ML's and will have them for the SLK in mid June here in San Diego...

·
Registered
350 SLK, CaspianBlue
10 Posts
I got email from my dealer (Smythe in SJ/CA) and he said they would get the iPod kits in October. I like the June answer better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts