Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had few topics about it in different sections, but I want to all members to know that I found MB coolant way superior in use.
In the past, driving aged vehicles I replaced several radiators due the internal build up what makes me staying away from green coolants as far as I can.
Some members driving the same model diesel MB on Zerex report their engines raising temperatures even in mild climates.
I drive our 98 E300DT with engine fan removed for 3 seasons and I removed the fan on 87 300DT this season as well.
I have replaced radiator on 98 about 3 years ago and the radiator has never seen anything but the MB coolant. So even driven in above 100F the engine at freeway speeds stays below 80C. The temperature raised to 95C in city driving, but parked with engine idling for AC the temperature dropped from 95 to 92C. I noticed the electric fans running on slow only.
The W124 diesel was running on green coolant for most of its life, yet still doesn't overheat with engine fan removed at 100F. We don't drive this car a lot, so don't have long drive in hight temperatures experience.
Now the latest experience. I bought another 1998 E300DT far away from home and coming with green coolant the engine with 90F outside was running at 90C. The fan clutch seems to be shoot.
Coming home the first thing I did was system flushing and putting MB coolant in it. Now at 90F the engine stays in 82-83C even on freeway grades we have all over Bay Area
I bought new clutch for our first car and it is supporting garage wall for 3 seasons. In a week I might give it another test >> we go to Las Vegas where the days start with triple digits temperatures. I am taking the new clutch with fan blades with me .... in the trunk.
Bottom line, the MB is not only preventing the engine from overheating on lot of occasions, but is saving me fuel money I would have to spend to turn the fans.
I like the savings and have the coolant even in my Fords.

·
Registered
00 e430 sport
15 Posts
Great tip! I am a new-to-me MB owner and love the knowledge I am getting from this website. Is there a place that you recommend ordering from? I would like to keep some in the garage to top off. I found a couple sites online but do any of the local auto stores/shops carry it? If you could reply with a few sites I would really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Local chain stores will not have it and cannot get it. Just go to your dealer. Or add a wiper blade and a couple of filters and use autohausaz.com to get free freight over $50.00.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it at A&E -indy warehouse that sell also over the counter and has several locations in US. Since they usually sell wholesale, I have margin for negotiation and bought the coolant below $20.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,083 Posts
MB "yellow" antifreeze is identical to Zerex G-05, which can be found a local auto part stores. You may need to check several chains... where I live, AutoZone and O'Reillys/Kragen/Schucks/Checker did not carry it, but CarQuest and NAPA did have it in stock. Call around and ask.

Supposedly the original yellow MB antifreeze (Q1 03 0002) has been replaced recently with a new blue antifreeze (Q1 03 0004) that is not backwards compatible, i.e. you have to flush out all the old yellow stuff before using the blue. I haven't seen any official TSB yet and don't have any info on what the new blue stuff is, and if it's any better than the yellow, etc.

Required reading on coolants:
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/antifreeze_article.pdf
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/general/Coolant_Confusion.pdf

You can get the MB antifreeze from most aftermarket / WorldPac vendors if you are unable to buy it locally, and/or if your local MB dealer has a ridiculous price markup. At least one vendor I checked was already superceding the old yellow part number to the new blue, so if you are specifically trying to buy the old yellow stuff, be careful and double-check with the vendor as to what you will receive.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts