Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but I'll give it a shot. For the past two days I have had the pleasure of driving a MB and BMW loaner and I just couldn't resist comparing the two, though they are quite different - the Bimmer wins, hands down. My E is in for tire work and my wife's 325i was in for some work so I got a MY10 C300 and a MY10 BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Wagon, both cars with less than 4K miles. Two very different cars. They are both well built but while the MB has a numb floaty steering, the Bimmer is firm, and probably too firm for some. The layout of the MB's ergomomics is awkward compared to the Bimmers. The Bimmer makes the MB look old. I don't care for the Bimmer's console mounted rotary button control (the primary iDrive control button) for everything (it seems) but MB's seemingly copy of that much disliked hardware doesn't do any better. While the C300 responds to pedal inputs, the Bimmer's electronic throttle takes a lifetime to move when one steps on the accelerator - that's the worst thing about this car. The next worse is BMW's attempt to execute the touch shift function - MB wins by several light years. Here BMW seems to have regressed significantly. The one on my wife's 03 325i recognizes downshifts smoothly. The one on this sports wagon is downright scary as it overrevs significantly (scary loud too!!) on every downshift under 40mph.

Why MB sticks with the overly complicated mechanically driven radio/communication center display unit is a mystery to me. The space that contraption occupies is sufficient to build a nice console to display all needed information. BMW does it much better - they win hands down, though, for the sake of safety, they could could be accused of too much information.

Overall, this sportswagon just drives much more solid than the floaty C300. The C just looks and feels old in comparison. I have driven other C's that feel much tighter but I don't believe any of them was as tight as the Bimmer. Too bad both companies seem to be competing for last or second to last place in most overall owner reviews. However, I just maybe looking at at BMW next time!

The BMW went back today, I have the E 'till Tuesday net week and I plan to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I haven't driven one but the BMW 6-series always turns my head. What type of tire work are you having done that takes that long?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
a base price c300 to a x-drive sport 3-series it's not really a comparison, of course bmw will feel more firm since it;s the sport version. if you were comparing a 4-matic sport c-class to a x-drive sport 3-series, than you have a comparison. personally i have never been a big fan of the new c-class, too cheap inside, 3-series is not much better either. but it seems there are more fans of 3-series than c-class since i see more bmw's on the road.
i used to have a e39 (530i) with m-package and manual tranny, that car was really fun. but inside was cheaper built than w210 in my opinion, not to mention not good cooling system.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Once at an some intersection, I saw a guy in a BMW sticking his head out the window talking to a young woman in a Mercedes-Benz.
BMW: "Be my wife!"
MB: "Maybe."

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,716 Posts
a base price c300 to a x-drive sport 3-series it's not really a comparison, of course bmw will feel more firm since it;s the sport version. if you were comparing a 4-matic sport c-class to a x-drive sport 3-series, than you have a comparison. personally i have never been a big fan of the new c-class, too cheap inside, 3-series is not much better either. but it seems there are more fans of 3-series than c-class since i see more bmw's on the road.
i used to have a e39 (530i) with m-package and manual tranny, that car was really fun. but inside was cheaper built than w210 in my opinion, not to mention not good cooling system.
What cooling system? Bring More Water.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comparison. I haven't driven one but the BMW 6-series always turns my head. What type of tire work are you having done that takes that long?
A Story, But You Asked:If you've been following my rants, this car is not driven that much. When it's driven, it's usually for several hundred miles and then it sits again for several months. All winter, it's never driven. So I decided to use it to cruise more often. For the short time I have been driving it (and I do drive hrd, BTW), I noticed that the tires were wearing much faster and the front drivers side wear was akin to low pressure wear. I was concerned and took the car into my MB shop for a complete suspension review. That was on Friday. Tech called me and said other than steering not quite centered, no problems found. Good news/bad news, may just need an alignment (I did that a couple years ago!) so I ordered 4 new rubbers same day shipped directly to my MB shop, UPS delivery is today, Monday so I told them to just keep the car until everything is done. I'm out of town for a couple of days so I get her back tomorrow or Wednesday. There you have it.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once at an some intersection, I saw a guy in a BMW sticking his head out the window talking to a young woman in a Mercedes-Benz.
BMW: "Be my wife!"
MB: "Maybe."
:big laugh::big laugh::big laugh::big laugh:Oh Man, you had me cracking there!!! That's a good one....and they lived happily ever after

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
The best comparison I heard is that
"BMW is something you consider a hot date
MB is something you marry. "
BMW are generally sportier, so to be fair you should compare them to MB AMG models. Than BMW jumps on new technology faster, while MB does more testing before changing proven design. In the years when cars become fully computerized -MB had it share of glitches with sensors, while BMW was flooded with failures. I heard a story where faulty door sensor would put BMW into transmission limp mode.
I tried all cars available in US worth trying (RR is still on my list). While my son liked red Audi, I prefer him to drive older MB not only for fuel saving but for better reliability and not worrying about $1500 timing belt change in near future.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
The best comparison I heard is that
"BMW is something you consider a hot date
MB is something you marry. "
BMW are generally sportier, so to be fair you should compare them to MB AMG models. Than BMW jumps on new technology faster, while MB does more testing before changing proven design. In the years when cars become fully computerized -MB had it share of glitches with sensors, while BMW was flooded with failures. I heard a story where faulty door sensor would put BMW into transmission limp mode.
I tried all cars available in US worth trying (RR is still on my list). While my son liked red Audi, I prefer him to drive older MB not only for fuel saving but for better reliability and not worrying about $1500 timing belt change in near future.
I like this! I have BMW 2008 528i and I say BMW has some major design issues,too, such as battery drain issue, etc.

·
Registered
97 E320, 96 C280
101 Posts
We have a 2003 525i and I had a 1992 325i. We also have the Mercedes listed in my sig. I know they are not exact comparisons but to me one thing stands out and is consistent, the Benz has more of a luxury sporty type of feel and the BMW is more of a feel every bump in the road, tight, sporty feel... with the stock tires.

My 525 and E320 both have low profile tires which makes the BMW more tight and the E320 feel tighter but in my opinion a lot of what I feel is the difference in the way the seats are made.

BMW seats are hard and Benz seats are much more softer. The seat in the 190e are like sitting on pillows but the car hugs the road which is a wierd feeling because the car really corners well but I feel like Im floating in those seats.

I love both the Benz & the BMW and credit the solid build of the 1992 325i BMW for saving my son in an accident. The firemen went out of their way to mention that if that had been any other type of vehicle some very serious injuries should have been expected. Just by looking at the car they expected serious injuries when arriving but my son did not even have a scratch. I feel equally safe in the benz. I give God credit for His role most importantly but it also makes a difference from a human perspective that we are wise and choose vehicles that are built well. The way I see it is that any car that is designed to travel at speeds of 160mph have to be designed tough and it just seems to me that German cars are built to survive some high speed crashes.

Sorry for getting a little long on that but its just my opinion since I do own both makes of vehicles. :) but I have to agree, some things on the Benz and BMW cause me to shake my head and ask myself what the heck were those engineers thinking?! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a 2003 525i and I had a 1992 325i. We also have the Mercedes listed in my sig. I know they are not exact comparisons but to me one thing stands out and is consistent, the Benz has more of a luxury sporty type of feel and the BMW is more of a feel every bump in the road, tight, sporty feel... with the stock tires.

My 525 and E320 both have low profile tires which makes the BMW more tight and the E320 feel tighter but in my opinion a lot of what I feel is the difference in the way the seats are made.

BMW seats are hard and Benz seats are much more softer. The seat in the 190e are like sitting on pillows but the car hugs the road which is a wierd feeling because the car really corners well but I feel like Im floating in those seats.

I love both the Benz & the BMW and credit the solid build of the 1992 325i BMW for saving my son in an accident. The firemen went out of their way to mention that if that had been any other type of vehicle some very serious injuries should have been expected. Just by looking at the car they expected serious injuries when arriving but my son did not even have a scratch. I feel equally safe in the benz. I give God credit for His role most importantly but it also makes a difference from a human perspective that we are wise and choose vehicles that are built well. The way I see it is that any car that is designed to travel at speeds of 160mph have to be designed tough and it just seems to me that German cars are built to survive some high speed crashes.

Sorry for getting a little long on that but its just my opinion since I do own both makes of vehicles. :) but I have to agree, some things on the Benz and BMW cause me to shake my head and ask myself what the heck were those engineers thinking?! :D
You are d... right about what is important ,I was a passenger years ago in a MB 280se in Germany ,driving down the country side at 70 miles per hour we hit black ice in the dark.
The car started sliding and struck a birch tree with the tip of left corner of the frontbumber it spun 180 degrees and hit the next Birch on the alley..I was a passenger in the front seat we went from 70mph to 0 in 0.1 second I was trown bach in the head rest,{thats why they are there,}then forward and got stopped by the seatbelt and tore some muschels..we got out of the car which now had a 12 inch birch in front of the passenger seats in the middle .The rear axel was wrapped around the tree now in the middle of the car.It took a bulldozer to pull it of the tree again.After that we went home and emtyed a bottle of cognac.
I now drive Benz with my kids in the back ,yes the are great fast etc, but number one in my book is that they save more lifes than any other car according to stats.
Best
Nobogie

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
674 Posts
The W204 may very well replace my W210 in the future....

I've heard they will be the very last C-Class built in Germany. That is reason enough to want to buy one.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I memorized several survival stories about MB.
There was an elderly couple that hated their new ML for giving them lot of repair troubles, but than they bought another one as a replacement. Why? Because they and their 2 grandchildren walked away from triple rollover.
My wife was badly rear ended by BMW X5. She had some spinal problems after, but she drove the ML320 home and even insurance totaled the truck, I repaired it and our son is driving it now. The BMW went to the melt shop.
Then there is a topic in this section when the guy was rear ended in his W210 wagon by drunk driver at 60 mph. The car sacrificed itself for the driver to walk away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts