Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I would like to know is there somewhere I can find a list of engines that are a direct bolt on the 83' MB 240D 4-spd manual transmission. I would like to know my diesel and petrol/gasoline options. Also, with these engines that bolt directly to the transmission without having to fabricate an adapter piece, are there modifications I can make to them to make them faster. While I am price conscious, do not let that hinder the imagination on this one. I am trying to build my dream car here.
Or, I REALIZE IT WOULD BE EXPENSIVE BUT, is there any modification I could do to the 2.4L OM616 Diesel I4 to make it faster (I would prefer to do this). Like I said please let your imagination run free on this one. I would like as much horsepower as I can get out of this!

Thank you everyone for your time!

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,301 Posts
OM615, OM616, OM617, M110, M115, M123, M114 and M130 all use the same bolt pattern.

If you want to go faster, best buy a more powerful engine. The OM616 doesn't take kindly to turbocharging. We never had the turbodiesel variants here in South Africa, so I don't know the difference between OM617 and OM617a, but I suspect you would have to do similar adaptations to OM616 to successfully turbocharge it. Even then, it is a heavy and lazy engine, built for reliability instead of performance.

·
Banned
144 Posts
There is nothing to be done to the 616. If you push it REALLY hard and double its power, you'll make as much power as a factory stock 617a.
You need either to swap in a 617a or M110 if you want power and keep that trans. Otherwise, get a 5-speed from a W201 and put an OM606 in your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is nothing to be done to the 616. If you push it REALLY hard and double its power, you'll make as much power as a factory stock 617a.
You need either to swap in a 617a or M110 if you want power and keep that trans. Otherwise, get a 5-speed from a W201 and put an OM606 in your car.
Are there ways to make the OM606 or M110 faster in a way that would make sense?

·
Banned
144 Posts
606 is easy, just an injection pump, turbo and intercooler will get 300hp on a stock engine reliably.
110, not much can be done. A hot cam will get a few hp at the cost of good idle and even worse fuel economy. Can add a turbo, but reliability and economy go completely out the window.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's Perfect! Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find the injection pump, turbo and intercooler? I would prefer something of high quality so that I do not have to replace it in the near future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
606 is easy, just an injection pump, turbo and intercooler will get 300hp on a stock engine reliably.
110, not much can be done. A hot cam will get a few hp at the cost of good idle and even worse fuel economy. Can add a turbo, but reliability and economy go completely out the window.
Also, with these upgrades will I be blowing black smoke everywhere? I want the car to run clean without looking like I am destroying the world. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts