Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Almost ready for my first MB, found beautiful MB 2014 ML350 4MATIC BLUETEC
with 35K on odometer, not CPO (Lexus dealer selling it).
Car runs very good.

What to watch for?
Is diesel engine reliable?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hello All,
Car runs very good.

What to watch for?

We bought a C class from a Lexus dealer, in seemingly perfect condition; and, we got a good deal and were treated like royalty. We subsequently learned at the MB dealer when we brought it in for our first service there that it actually still had some unexpired extended warranty on it Lexus apparently knew nothing about. Something to hope for...

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,249 Posts
Hello All,
Car runs very good.

What to watch for?

In general a diesel engine is stronger than a gasoline, but today they are also very complicated.
The 3.0V6 diesel is a very nice engine, very smooth and power delivery at low rpm so the driving is really relaxed, the mpg is good for a SUV but to get better millage you will need to get the 250/300d a.g. 2.1I4 diesel.
The 3.0V6 will have a oil cooler leak at some point, but that can be low or high miles, our old R320CDI, same engine except not using urea to clean the exhaust had over 80kmiles and no leak.

The urea system that is used to clean the new diesels from MB have had issues on earlier versions with the urea tank heating element and that required to replace the tank and not only the heating element.

Also keep in mind that the diesel is generally more expensive to maintain, that will offset the mpg gains over a normal gas engine.

There will be many opinions about what engine you should go for.

also, what kind of options does the car have?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In general a diesel engine is stronger than a gasoline, but today they are also very complicated.
The 3.0V6 diesel is a very nice engine, very smooth and power delivery at low rpm so the driving is really relaxed, the mpg is good for a SUV but to get better millage you will need to get the 250/300d a.g. 2.1I4 diesel.
The 3.0V6 will have a oil cooler leak at some point, but that can be low or high miles, our old R320CDI, same engine except not using urea to clean the exhaust had over 80kmiles and no leak.

The urea system that is used to clean the new diesels from MB have had issues on earlier versions with the urea tank heating element and that required to replace the tank and not only the heating element.

Also keep in mind that the diesel is generally more expensive to maintain, that will offset the mpg gains over a normal gas engine.

There will be many opinions about what engine you should go for.

also, what kind of options doe the car have?
MPG is acceptable for me, this size car and engine.
Im wondering if this car can get to over 100K without major issues.

It has all options what I like to have:
Lightning package
Premium sound
Cold weather
Driver assist
Nav

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,249 Posts
100kmiles there is a chance that the oil cooler will leak, the repair at MB is in the range of ~$2500, it would not hold me back of getting it.

FYI, when we ordered the current ML we opted for the gas version as price difference between the diesel and gas versions was too high to justify the mpg gained, in 2014 the 250BT was not available in US as that would be the economical decision.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100kmiles there is a chance that the oil cooler will leak, the repair at MB is in the range of ~$2500, it would not hold me back of getting it.

FYI, when we ordered the current ML we opted for the gas version as price difference between the diesel and gas versions was too high to justify the mpg gained, in 2014 the 250BT was not available in US as that would be the economical decision.

It's a very hart to find pre owned car with all options, int and ext colors. This car has all except its diesel, but after some researches and hundreds videos on youtube, I
m going to pull a trigger on this ML, hope it's not to late.:crying

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
oil cooler will leak, as well as other oil leaks,
you will have adblue/DEF issues
maintenance is more than a gas burner
possible turbo issues

What ever you do make sure you get a good extended warranty that will pay for oil leaks and adblue/def issues. you will be money ahead.

·
Registered
137 Posts
oil cooler will leak, as well as other oil leaks,
you will have adblue/DEF issues
maintenance is more than a gas burner
possible turbo issues

What ever you do make sure you get a good extended warranty that will pay for oil leaks and adblue/def issues. you will be money ahead.
X2

Oil cooler leak, swirl motor, swirl flap carbon buildup and adblue heater these are all known issue with the OM642 engine

Not sure about States side but I have read all covered items in the coverage on the Canadian extended warranty it never mention anything about the adblue system so please check all fine prints on the warranty agreement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, for all your comments,
We pulled a trigger and bought this ML350.
I hope all issues will bypass us :smile

Now it's time to look around for extended warranty. :nerd

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hope you enjoy your Bluetec as much as we enjoy ours. We ordered new one and now have 42,000 with zero warranty issues so far. Ours is a 2014 also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you enjoy your Bluetec as much as we enjoy ours. We ordered new one and now have 42,000 with zero warranty issues so far. Ours is a 2014 also.
Glad to hear that. But so far had to take it to a dealer, something got loose between sunroof and extension, rattling was so bad, they had to take the whole roof cover off.
Driver seat, stitchы got loose, two holes, I'm still shocked this car has vinyl seats.
about two weeks of owning this car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's an interesting read about the OM642 that speaks to the integrated modular design and application.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Here's an interesting read about the OM642 that speaks to the integrated modular design and application.
Back when I owned a 3L diesel ML I tried my hand at researching the genesis for the cylinder angle at 72° but all I could turn up was an old Italian diesel and some modern racing V8 gas engines. I'd love to hear someday from MB the went that way instead of 60°.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hows your ride?

I picked up a CPO 2013 ML350BT in Jan'16 and had the same concerns. While I had some initial minor issues from day one, dealer took care of it all. Sometimes I think the dealers cant certify everything, and waits for the customers to find the issues for them.

After 5 months, I'm still on the fence between this and the gas version. Range and 0-60 is great. In NYC, there is a premium for diesel, so the "savings" probably isnt much. I hope by now, MB has fixed all the known issues especially the oil gasket.

I think I got an excellent price given that its loaded, color both exterior and interior. So my only concerns are:
Potential cost to repair know issues down the road. But lets be honest, you get this "know issues" in ALL cars.

The only thing that bothers me with the bluetec and I dont know if you experience it in your car, is the hesitation or the turbo lag. I brought it back to dealer, and they say is normal. Everything is normal or within MB specs until the warranty is up it seems.

Anyway, what annoys me the most is the pick-up when I need it. Going behind a cab at around 35mph, he stops to pick-up a passenger, then you slowdown to about 10-15mph, merge to next lane and sees a car approaching. Most cars just takes off when you gas it, but in my Bluetec, I experience the turbo-lag which annoys me. RPM goes from 900 to 1800, then they car takes off. You mash the accelerator, hear the spooling, then it takes off. I dont know if thats normal. Ever go over a speed bump and faster then normal speed, then step on the gas, the stability control cuts down the power. That is a slight hesitation, thats what I get.

So, I would love to hear from other ML350BT owners if they experience the same. I know the power band starts between 1600-2300 rpm, so I'm trying to train my transmission to hold lower gears longer to see it it helps. The 0-60 is great on the highway, but this city driving can be scary sometimes when you dont get power when you need it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think it's a transmission issue. I had a 2009 GL320 Bluetec with the same lag issues. I now have a 2015 ML550 with similar lag issues, but when I switch it into "sport mode".....voila no more lag issues. I think the tranny software is geared to behave more "economy minded".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hows your ride?

I picked up a CPO 2013 ML350BT in Jan'16 and had the same concerns. While I had some initial minor issues from day one, dealer took care of it all. Sometimes I think the dealers cant certify everything, and waits for the customers to find the issues for them.

After 5 months, I'm still on the fence between this and the gas version. Range and 0-60 is great. In NYC, there is a premium for diesel, so the "savings" probably isnt much. I hope by now, MB has fixed all the known issues especially the oil gasket.

I think I got an excellent price given that its loaded, color both exterior and interior. So my only concerns are:
Potential cost to repair know issues down the road. But lets be honest, you get this "know issues" in ALL cars.

The only thing that bothers me with the bluetec and I dont know if you experience it in your car, is the hesitation or the turbo lag. I brought it back to dealer, and they say is normal. Everything is normal or within MB specs until the warranty is up it seems.

Anyway, what annoys me the most is the pick-up when I need it. Going behind a cab at around 35mph, he stops to pick-up a passenger, then you slowdown to about 10-15mph, merge to next lane and sees a car approaching. Most cars just takes off when you gas it, but in my Bluetec, I experience the turbo-lag which annoys me. RPM goes from 900 to 1800, then they car takes off. You mash the accelerator, hear the spooling, then it takes off. I dont know if thats normal. Ever go over a speed bump and faster then normal speed, then step on the gas, the stability control cuts down the power. That is a slight hesitation, thats what I get.

So, I would love to hear from other ML350BT owners if they experience the same. I know the power band starts between 1600-2300 rpm, so I'm trying to train my transmission to hold lower gears longer to see it it helps. The 0-60 is great on the highway, but this city driving can be scary sometimes when you dont get power when you need it.

I don't have this issue with 2014ML350BT, OK, I think my car does take off as it should, it's a diesel SUV (large size) and not build to race or rapidly accelerate. Racing, or fast acceleration can lead to oil leaks in this car.
this is what I been told by highly recommended Garage on this forum.
When I bought it, I was ready, for a slow city commute. Its a cruiser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You shouldn't really hear the turbo spooling; mine did after they screwed up an oil change and I ended up with a lot of lag, hesitation in stop and go traffic, and less power. After some complaining they ended up replacing the turbo (excessive play on the shaft). No fault codes, which really made things difficult to explain. I owned the car since new, and could tell the difference but had a heck of a time convincing them about it. Good luck.

Hows your ride?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Marled
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing