Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MB 1997 E420 KEY TROUBLE, ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON`T START

I am having key problems with my 1997 E420 (Rectangular remote with flip blade). The remote part got crushed but the blade is still intact but now car engine only cranks but won`t start. Though the remote looks different from the mb smart keys I know but does this model year remote have smart key function?; I called up differend mb dealerships some said not smart key just CHIP another said smart key. From what I have read here so far I am leaning toward CHIP. Help me!!, I have this one key.
If key comes with just a coded CHIP will the car start if I get a used ignition switch with key and the anti theft computer (I assume this is the DAS /AAM box) from the same car, or do I have to get the ECU as well?. I can actually get everything for about $200. Comments will be appreciated .
Thanks
Garvin.

The attached picture is to show key type and model.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
Your key is like mine. It contains a chip that can be damaged. The cheap route is to go to the dealer and buy a flat key for $25 to $40 depending on how they overcharge. The new switchblade IR key will cost more like $250. If you take evidence that you own the car along with your VIN number, to the dealer, they can have a new key overnight.

The flat key has the hole for the key ring on the side of the head. I tired of it jabbing me when carrying it on my key ring, in my pocket. I drilled a hole where a hole should be on a key, and solved the jabbing problem, but the key would no longer start the car. That is how I learned that there is a chip in the key.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I would do as nelbur suggests, if you mess with the ignition switch you will end up in a mess, these cars are programed with Drive Authorisation and you will not get around that by changing computers.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,259 Posts
once the remote is damaged, the blade key in the remote won't work. the chip is in the remote. And, AFAIK, swapping in another ignition unit won't work either since it is coded to a specific VIN #. so your option is a new std key ($25) or a new IR remote ($250). And an ebay remote CANNOT be programmed to your car. To get another key you will need to bring vehicle registration showing you as a registered owner along with photo ID to the dealer. they will get you another key by 9am the next day if you place your order by about 5pm EST.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,696 Posts
Let's not confuse remote with the chip.
The chip is very small and inserted in the remote box, or in case of key without remote it is mounted in at the base of the blade. Chances are that if you keep the crushed remote close to the electronic ring and turn the blade the engine will start.
The mirror green and red light have a sequence indicating the chip failure, but I don't remember exactly. I guess they flash constantly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great, thanks for all the info. I forgot to add that I shipped the car out of the U.S about a year ago (a gift for my mum). I have been to 2 mb dealers with car purchase receipt, customs documents including the export stamped original title to show ownership but I was told nothing could be done since the car is no longer in the country. They adviced me to try the local dealer, I did; They wanted the equivalent of $1850.00!!!. The way things stand right now looks like I`m screwed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts