Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MB Muenchen V8
I took these photos of a 117 V8 on display at the main MB dealership in Munich. Although it's not exactly my engine it's still pretty close. I was quite interested to see what the insides of my engine looked like without taking the whole thing to bits!!! I hope others also find them useful. Cheers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Excellent pics! Turbolube. This is a very good reference collection of the M117. It certainly merits a place on the EGv107! IMHO. It helps visualizing the innards without dismantling! Great effort in taking all those 69 pics.:bowdown:

There is also a similar collection on the 116 forum for the M100 6.9

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you guys find them useful. I've been meaning to post them for ages. If anyone wants to use these for instructional purposes feel free. If I get to Munich next year I'll try to take some better pictures. Reading the other thread this must also have been a training engine.

If anyone is in Germany it's a great place to get spare parts! At several dealerships they give you 20% off most parts. In fact whilst I was there I was able to take the very helpful and knowledgeable parts guy up to the cutaway engine and actually show him what I needed.

The Munich main dealership is particularly interesting as they had a good selection of rare vehicles on display, including the F1 SLS safety cars, a 300 gullwing and an SLR Stirling Moss in a separate closed-off showroom. In order to get a closer look at the latter I was asked by the 6'7 besuited Bavarian salesman with slicked-back hair if I wanted to buy one (for 750,000 euros), to which I replied 'Yes, but not today'. I was dressed in shorts and an old t-shirt and my beat-up women's push bike was leaning unlocked against the glass outside, although I suppose I had just dropped 200 euros on 107 vacuum parts!

Cheers.

·
Registered
87 560SL
292 Posts
I've often thought that machinists love to do the cutaway projects. A whole new application for their talents.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
I've often thought that machinists love to do the cutaway projects. A whole new application for their talents.
These always look to my eye to be very challenging projects. It must take a special machinist/artist to know what to cut away, and how to show what they want to show.

Very impressive.:thumbsup:

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Looks like turbolube's pic link is gone bye bye. Did anyone out there save any of his M117 cutaway pics, or have access to any? Bigger is better.

Or M110 for that matter.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts

Looks like turbolube's pic link is gone bye bye. Did anyone out there save any of his M117 cutaway pics, or have access to any? Bigger is better.

Or M110 for that matter.
Yep, saved 'em all. At the highest available res.

What's it worth to ya?

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
link not working!

Or M110 for that matter.
The post that revived this thread, it's an old thread.

I saved all the pics, but will I get into trouble if I post them up online? They aren't mine.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,359 Posts
The post that revived this thread, it's an old thread.

I saved all the pics, but will I get into trouble if I post them up online? They aren't mine.
Logic tells me you would not have a problem. You copied them either on a public forum or a link the owner posted on a public forum.

Of course the law does not always follow common sense or logic.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

I was sprucing the EGv107. Used an M100 pic from Elrick's W116 thread.

Ain't no one gonna know the difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys I think I reorganised my google photos at some point. Here you go.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodlub/MBMuenchenV8?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOj5oaTQnYnnFA&feat=directlink

Glad you find them useful. I may go back to Munchen at some point and if I do will get some more and better ones - after I looked at them I realised they could have been better.

Sorry also that I'm so rarely on this great forum. Got three jobs at the moment plus I'm trying to stop the old 107 from rusting and leaking. Jobs done this year include valve seals (holy f**k not for the faint hearted) and front headlight tape job (in progress). Taking the car on the annual european blast in august and the wife will not put up with wind and rain inside the car any more!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts