Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before the economy tanked I dreamt of buying a brand-new car with all the bells and whistles to replace my wagon. I've bugged Curtis (Diametricalbenz) in countless e-mails about how fed up I was with this old car and listed many cars I was planning to replace it with. But damn it, I just can't seem to do it. I thought about it and decided due to my massive student loan debt, my part in a new house mortgage soon, and the crap economy that I will keep the car for as long as I can. I know I will receive a lot of crap from people for continuing to drive such an old relic even in the face of a new Master's degree which *hopefully* will someday finally bring me some steady income: I still want to drive it. I dream that in time and money I can restore the car to a point where people will look at it differently other than an old smelly hack. Seriously, if I won the lottery I'd do a ground up restoration on it and continue to drive it. Well maybe share the driving burden with a hot new sports car!

I've been quoted $1100 from a shop to fix the rust spots and repaint it. Not bad and that will do wonders for this thing. It looks like a rolling gray turd at the moment with its faded gray paint. Eventually I will replace the cracked dash, thrashed fuel sender, schizophrenic temp gauge and the other annoyances I deal with everyday and transform it into a nice car. Any of you deal with criticism from your partners and significant others for operating these old cars?

My mechanic suggested I keep it and pointed to numerous new cars in his shop with major failures at low mileage. There was a 2006 VW Passat with bad CV joints and a blown water pump. They had to remove the whole front end of the car to get to the water pump. There was a Cadiliac with electrical gremlins and he even said a newer Honda needed a new transmission under 60k on the clock! Major moolah to fix these bastards too! Oh and I must add there was a Lovecrap casualty with a blown engine. You just can't beat how cheap and accessible these old diesels (and 123 gassers) are to work on and the cost of parts. They're so damn simple. My car is 27 years old and I could drive it at a moment's notice to Phoenix right now to see my brother if I wanted to. Ok, I'm preaching to the choir, sorry. It's just common sense isn't it? It might take $5000 to get it where I want it to be, and I'll forever curse the f**cked up automatic climate control system and vacuum leaks but you know what...it will still outlast most new cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 230K auto
95 Posts
You are right

Keeping something unique and built for lasting, is right if you like it.

Being somehow individual and having a caring attitude for consumables is important in an all disposable & spending society. If it takes you from A to B while gives you and some other people pleasure just for doing it, you are on double gain.

Some other people won´t understand why you keep and old banger but they are missing the point.

Keep those beauties and keep them right!!

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
@ Benzoid: You ain't nuts... you have a nice estate. As i usually advice my local friends who take the plunge on the same marque I love, prioritize fixing safety and performance-related concerns of the car. Then tag it as "a work in progress" while they enjoy driving it.

Keep the STAR shining, my friend!

·
Registered
92 320ce Cabrio 5sp auto 119k km
525 Posts
I was a thousand miles from home the other day, driving down a strange freeway, and a silver w123 sedan appeared amongst the heavy oncoming traffic.

The very same feeling that keeps you and your wagon together put a big old smile on my face. These cars are art and science. And on the few days when the science part isn't working perfectly, they are still art.

Ever onwards!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You're not nuts... the W123 is A classic!
Restoring it will be worthwhile, and you'll enjoy it for many more decades afterwards. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 300SD
637 Posts
Needing a daily driver, I bought a used VW as a blend between modern and affordable while knowing most of the issues these vehicles encounter. I don't regret this purchase, but I certainly wouldn't part with the old SD as a means of a newer replacement.

As crazy as it may sound, I enjoy the known, well documented problems our old MB's encounter. Majority of us enthusiasts are able to diagnose issues quickly and determine a course of action, which is not necessarily the case with the newer cars.

The nuisances of failing gauges and rotten shifter bushings, etc. seemed to have morphed into a joy of ownership, if you will, as I (we) can quickly and accurately inform passengers of the known issue(s) and the solution(s) as well as the proper means to correction.

You're making a good choice to keep the TD.

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
I'd definitely vote for driving it as long as you can, heck, it's anthracite over black, what's not to like?

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
I dont think youre nuts to keep it. If you love it, then its worth your time, money and patience. Why do you think people take these old cars out of the junkyards and restore them? Its love for the vehicle!

·
Registered
'81 240d
229 Posts
I agree with the peanut gallery. When you're driving around town, you'll impress the people who *really* matter (That's us!).

Just 'cause it's noisy doesn't mean it's a 'knocker'. A knocker is ready to die and held together by stopgaps-- put a little money and time into your car and it'll be brand-new again.

...or at least you'll never be wanting for a hobby :)

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
I remember when I first saw that car, it was a mess. You and Curtis really cleaned it up, good job!

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
You're missing somebody ... :rolleyes:
Who? ;)

j/k and of course you Patrick, you guys really cleaned it up.

Pat, don't you have before and after pictures?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Who? ;)

j/k and of course you Patrick, you guys really cleaned it up.

Pat, don't you have before and after pictures?
Of the wagon? I don't recall where I placed them. Curtis should have some.

I do have pics of the day we cleaned it up in our garage. Came a long way from what it was, and I'm sure with Pat2 (Benzoid123) working on it, the estate will become even nicer.

majhost.com Gallery

The car has such a nice black interior that alone is worth it!

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
It does have a nice interior I must say. The rest of the car has it's flaws but the interior is perfect.

BTW I found a film negative (badly worn though) under the carpets. I have to find a film scanner but it has a few shots of the car when it was younger!

·
Registered
SLK 230K auto
95 Posts
Most definetely you are not nuts.

It is said that real beauty is on the interior. If that is anything to go by, your tank is "bootiful", plenty os space as well!!

The outside should come out easily. keep us posted with the proccess but i bet we are in front of a gem to come out. Any takers??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts