Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I was on vacation and I thought I was having a transmission problem and was having a hard time getting up to speed. I stopped and could smell the right front brake was over heating. At the time I thought the parking brakes were on the front, I pulled the parking handle out several times and no more brake problem. This happened several times, so I just quit using the parking brake and had no more problems. My son was driving my car several months ago and was using the parking brake and the right front brake locked up with him.
I just remove the rotors, pads and calipers today and I found this;
The brake pads only have a wear sensor on the drivers side, the right side pads were just barely into the rotors and the driver side had a good 1/4 inch left. Is this normal? I thought the drivers side pads wore the fastest.
I'm thinking the right side caliper is bad and needs to be replaced. I don't see how using the parking brake had anything to do with the right front brake locking up. Anyone have a similar problem?
Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Stop using terms driver/passenger. There are participants in this forum that drive on wrong side of the road.:)

Starting around 1966 MB parking brake is independent of front or rear normal brakes. Separate set of brake shoes works drum that is part of rear brake disc.

10-20% difference in brake wear from left to right is normal as long as vehicle does not pull under braking.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just replaced both front calipers after a similar issue (minus the parking brake). The caliper on the driver's side front would hang-up occassionally and got progressively worse this past summer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not sure...but it was not 250-300. I usually to go Autoparts warehouse or parts geek. I am fairly sure I paid less than $150/pr...ceramic pads were about $75.00 more. Depending on the ones you buy, you may need to paint them with caliper paint otherwise they will get rusty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts