Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I may have to put my 91 500SL with a low 38K miles up for sale, last month I had some unexpected emergency major surgery on my belly, they pulled a mass the size of a fist out of there! benign, now I have a nasty 10 inch scar there, plus they gave me a ostomy bag! lucky for me its reversible , that's scheduled for October, I lost 15lbs in a week in the hospital! and lost another 6lbs at home, deal is it's hard to get in and out of a low car like the SL with this nastiness.
I may keep her but I don't drive the car much anyways, it's more of a Sunday type of car lol and wife wants another type of car, when I do, it will go up on BAT. and post here if anyone is interested, it should get some pretty good cash condition is amazing!
Thanks to everyone here and this great forum for all the help along the way!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,148 Posts
I have a van which I occasionally drive, and it is positively effortless to get in and out of.

Best of luck.

·
4,774 Posts
Sorry to hear but glad your healing. I know us old-types have a problem getting in and out of it too. The SL is definitely not an errand car for me

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Sadly I may have to put my 91 500SL with a low 38K miles up for sale, last month I had some unexpected emergency major surgery on my belly, they pulled a mass the size of a fist out of there! benign, now I have a nasty 10 inch scar there, plus they gave me a ostomy bag! lucky for me its reversible , that's scheduled for October, I lost 15lbs in a week in the hospital! and lost another 6lbs at home, deal is it's hard to get in and out of a low car like the SL with this nastiness.
I may keep her but I don't drive the car much anyways, it's more of a Sunday type of car lol and wife wants another type of car, when I do, it will go up on BAT. and post here if anyone is interested, it should get some pretty good cash condition is amazing!
Thanks to everyone here and this great forum for all the help along the way!
I remember when you bought that car a while back, I believe I had seen it in an ad and commented about it, you made an excellent buy.

Sounds like your healing well enough, put the sale on hold for a while, you may have a change of heart. Once it's sold there is no getting it back, and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery... Aero_I

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Sorry to hear. I just picked up a 91 same color. Do you happen to know the color code for the bottom half?
I'm attaching a matrix of color codes for W124 E500E's which I think is relevant to your paint question.

Look on the first tab and scroll down to non-metallic paint, the two ext. whites are listed with the cladding colors for them, either Sato Grey or Marble Grey.

I bet these W124 colors are the same as early R129 colors. good luck.

Opp's my excel file won't attach, let me convert it to a pdf, yup that works... good luck

PS: credit goes to either gsxr or gerry on the e500board for creating this file, I appologise to the author of this file for not knowing exactly who, but it's not my data, just passing it on

PPS: triva, in the color list, look at code 8481(Blackberry/Bornite), only 8 E500E's imported into the USA as USA build cars, I imported one from Dubai in 2017 that was a Japan build 92 500E.
Talk about rare colors, I have 1 of 9 Bornite 500E's in the USA, sheer luck, right place right time. took a chance that paid off... just trivia...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm putting the SL on the back burner for now until I heal, I have colon resection now scheduled for 2 week of October, probably 5 days in hospital, not looking forward to that after 8 days last August , just when I'm feeling better and doing stuff I have to go under again! lol, 6-8 week recovery from that, on the bright side looking forward not having a hole in my side with a bag attached!
Funny thing today met with the surgeon , he's very good, best in the area, in the OR he has to have loud rock music playing! he met my son the musician and now he's coming over for bass guitar lessons with my son! lol.

Wife saw a CLS 550 and loves that unusual shape, I'm researching those and find they didn't sell alot here in the states, the early ones are to be avoided, balance shaft issues, thinking 2010 may be a safe year, being low production, the forum here and elsewhere lacks a lot of info, unlike the R129.W124,W126 forums where you find everything!

·
Outstanding Contributor
882 Posts
Most, if not all the early paint codes were available for the 1991 R129, but the years that followed saw fewer/different paint options.

Arctic White was available single or two-tone. See the link below for options and paint codes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts