Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wild thought yesterday... one that I couldn't help but dwell on for quite some time. I debated whether or not to mention it on here, but decided that I would. I love my W140s, LOVE THEM; but let's face it, they are problematic, expensive to maintain, and require constant attention. So I thought about buying a new car for my everyday use and keep the W140s in the garage for those nice long trips, nice whether, and for a night on the town. "What new car would I buy" you may ask.... well I would want something comprable to the W140 therefore something fast, big, and comfortable. BUT since I would be using it as a daily driver, it would also need to be reliable, easy to maintain, and problem free. It wouldn't need to provide me with the greatest driving experience since it would simply be an everyday car, and wouldn't need to attract the attention the W140s do (not to saying thats why I bought them, they are just such great looking cars). So I thought long and hard about what car fits that bill and would be under 10 grand. I came up with 1996-1998 Lexus LS400.... Now don't jump to any conclusions, I would be keeping both W140s and would buy the Lexus so I could save some money and keep the W140s pristine by keeping them tucked away in the garage for that perfect sunny day.

What do you think?

·
Registered
'10 Mbz S550, '03 Mbz C240, '03 Audi A4 2.0 Stroker, '08 Lexus SC430 PB Edition, '07 Prius
643 Posts
Well, my father had a 1990 ls400 for 8 years and the only thing he had to do was have oil changes. Never any issues, not one. I'm biased so i'd say another mercedes, but they're all the same. Try to look up the 1990-1999 Audi A8, BMW 7-series, and the lexus. The lexus isn't a bad idea, considering it's reliable and keeps its value.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
thinkman said:
Well, my father had a 1990 ls400 for 8 years and the only thing he had to do was have oil changes. Never any issues, not one. I'm biased so i'd say another mercedes, but they're all the same. Try to look up the 1990-1999 Audi A8, BMW 7-series, and the lexus. The lexus isn't a bad idea, considering it's reliable and keeps its value.
The A8 and the 7 will be about the same to maintain as the W140, the Lexus sounds like a great idea, also what about a Toyota Avalon even?

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NZ Benz said:
The A8 and the 7 will be about the same to maintain as the W140, the Lexus sounds like a great idea, also what about a Toyota Avalon even?
You're right. My neighbor had an A8 and had a ton of problems with it. same with a friend with a 7-series. As for Toyota Avalon... we have a 2000 XLS (had a 1996 before that) and they have/had NO problems ever! But they weren't really mine so it doesn't help me. I like the Lexus more anyway, it's more of a guys car.... and i'm glad to see that you guys aren't bashing lexus like normal!

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
I just sold my 98 BMW 740iL after more than 6 years of ownership. FANTASTIC car to drive and be driven in, but a NIGHTMARE in maintenance. They are relatively trouble free until 75,000 miles, then just about everything in the engine compartment needs attention. My total was over $17,000 in that 6 years, which does include regular maintenance such as oil changes, trans flush, tires, etc. This is also on a car that was meticulously maintained - I am very picky and fix EVERYTHING that needs it.

FWIW, I just think the later years of the LS are too boring looking. Absolutely no style at all. I would be more tempted to go for an earlier model with lower miles and at least have a decent looking car. From what I've heard, they are pretty rock solid through the entire model cycle.

I'd look at the Audi before anything else. Or even an Infiniti Q45 - their value drops unbelievably fast, but are difficult to locate since they are so un-popular.

Forgot to mention... If you tuck a car away for occasional use, you will be really surprised when every time you take it out, you find something else that needs repair. I did that with the BMW for two years and found I couldn't go more than 300 miles without something else breaking.

trey

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
dantefr said:
You're right. My neighbor had an A8 and had a ton of problems with it. same with a friend with a 7-series. As for Toyota Avalon... we have a 2000 XLS (had a 1996 before that) and they have/had NO problems ever! But they weren't really mine so it doesn't help me. I like the Lexus more anyway, it's more of a guys car.... and i'm glad to see that you guys aren't bashing lexus like normal!
Yea the A8 like pretty much every Audi from the 1990's is trash as far as maintaining it is concerned, really really nice interior but not the type of car your looking for as a daily runner.

Whats Caddi and Lincoln like? I dunno I've never even seen one.

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are OK but have their share of problems. As soon as Lincoln hits 100,000 miles everything goes.... Caddy same thing. I want something that I can drive for 200,000 miles and not have to worry about.

Trey, I would probably put around 4,000 miles a year on the 500SEL and probably a lot more on the Grand Edition. My 500SEL has been pretty good in the last year or so and my Grand Edition has been just about PERFECT but i know it won't last which is why i'm looking for something with close to 100% reliability for 100s of thousands miles to come...

·
Registered
Artic White 1995 S420
366 Posts
Yeh my uncle owns a big lexus SUV as well as a w140. The Lexus hasnt ever given him any problems and with the 2 hour commute everyday he runs it into the ground. So if your gonna get somthing other then mercedes go for a lexus there cheap to maintain when on the off chance you have to.

·
Registered
1994 S500
348 Posts
Bad Idea IMO MB owners dont own Lexus or ever buy one I know about how nice and reliable they are, but I dont care its just wrong.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Benzkid27 said:
Bad Idea IMO MB owners dont own Lexus or ever buy one I know about how nice and reliable they are, but I dont care its just wrong.
It is so decreed......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
I'd consider the Lexus/Toyota route, but get a Toyota Prius. Don't get something similiar to the two cars you already have - get something completely different!

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport, 2011 E350 Avant Garde Cabriolet
1,933 Posts
Well, you could lease a BMW for 36 months. They have a maintanence agreement that runs the length of a lease. That way you wouldn't have to worry about having to fix anything on your dime.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point Simon but i like that style car... a lot! I don't want to feel too out of place in a new car. Plus the prius is just too ugly and feels unsafe. Daimler, also a good idea but for $500+ a month i'd spend well over $20,000 and have nothing in the end to show for it. I could get a 1997-1998 LS400 for around $10,000, run it into the ground and still sell it for $4,000 when i'm done, or even more!

KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING!

·
Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Dantefer:

You instigator you.

You know this will bring on the infamous benz versus lexus debate or mercedes versus other cars debate. lol

You should know, you have seen this debate on this forum several times.

And from your previous discussions about lexus over the past few years here on the forum, it seems like you have been wanting to get a lexus, but your logical self has gotten over your emotional self.

So listen to your logic, and get the lexus. I know the w140 is an addiction its a disease. Look at me i had all the w140 models, s500 to s420 etc... and now s600...but hopefully i am getting it out of my system, and will follow my logic.

So go get the lexus, you know you have been wanting one. This way we dont have another lexus discussion here in another few month ;)

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,223 Posts
The LS looks like a great car. My neighbor has an LS 400, and he really abuses it. I think it is either a 98 or 99. He uses it as his daily driver, and doesn't seem to have many problems with it.

It would be a good decision to get it as a daily driver, instead of using one of the 140's for everything. I was actually thinking of doing this myself.

Just make sure you don't give up your passion for the W140, because although there a lot of things like it, there is Nothing as great as the W140. :)

·
Registered
1994 S500
348 Posts
How about a nice small Mercedes as the daily driver insead of going DarkSide i mean comeon True Benz fans dont like Lexus..period no excuses.
go 190e or a 300e for a DD. keep it in the fam man.

·
Registered
Artic White 1995 S420
366 Posts
yeh but you cant ignore the fact the a lexus is a pretty nice car to drive its no benz but it is also cheaper to maintain. Go for the lexus! ;)

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ghost, GREAT POST... are you a psychiatrist? 1996_S500, i will never loose the passion for the W140! They are amazing cars! If I had the money and a place to keep it, I would even buy another one! Maybe a nice S600 coupe! But ghost is right, my logical side is taking over.
I considered a 300E or 190 as a DD a while ago, and although slightly better than the W140, it's still has its share of problems. Lexus just seems like the best overall choice for a daily driver

·
Registered
1994 S500
348 Posts
Lexus isnt the only reliable source out there,but its a fact they have copied just about every MB model out there...and as our Rival it just doesnt seem right.thats me i will never ever buy a Lexus no matter what the stats are.

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,223 Posts
Benzkid27 said:
Lexus isnt the only reliable source out there,but its a fact they have copied just about every MB model out there...and as our Rival it just doesnt seem right.thats me i will never ever buy a Lexus no matter what the stats are.
you are quite the diehard MB fan, LOL. :)

Although, I completely understand where you are coming from with Lexus being MB's rival. I haven't bought myself a Lexus yet, but my 560SEL is completely out of commission at the moment, and I think the S500 may do the same.

...And having an S500 as a daily driver at the moment, which is not a good idea, I think it may eventually develop some kind of problem.

I don't think I'll ever give up my W140 passion, but there is a possibility that I may need to get myself a daily driver of some kind, maybe/maybe not a Lexus. Although, I'll be broke with these gas prices, so it won't be happening right now, LOL :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts