Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E-320
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Mercedes has published a maximum load capacity for an '02 E-320? (Distinct from the max load tire rating) I checked the owner's manual and don't see it listed. I also searched this forum and came up empty-handed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Curb

weight is about 3600 lbs add 5 passengers 750 plus cargo 250 maybe 4600lbs as a guess.
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Registered
2002 E-320
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to have to use my car to haul some materials for my work. For example, I'll be transporting 5-gallon pails that weigh 45lbs each. I can fit at least 6 in the trunk - 300lbs. I'm trying to determine how many more I can load in the interior without busting the suspension components, etc.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
The trunk

weight would be the issue,all over the springs.And far back enough to be a lever on the cg of the car.Balance it out with maybe 2 more in the rear seat and see how it handles.Be safe and make sure everything can't shift around.
:bowdown:
why not get a hitch and one of those small utility trailers from costco and haul 16 at a time?

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
I've been using my Mercedes for cargo hauling all the time.
As ohlord pointed, putting most of the weight in the trunk will change center of gravity too much. In my wagon I was carrying 1000 lb easily (with me included). In my sedan I pulled rear seat and fit a plywood over the battery compartment. This way I can load heavy stuff close to the center of gravity.
300 lb in sedan trunk will work, but the rear bumper might scratch on the bumps.

·
Registered
2002 E-320
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great input in these posts. There is a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) on the B pillar drivers-side. It shows about 4600 lbs. (I didn't have time to record the exact figure.) Essentially, that allows for approximately 1000lbs of payload, including fuel, other fluids, etc. So 6 pails at 45lbs each (270lbs) is well within the limits. I weigh 190, a full tank of fuel runs about 160 so there is plenty of capacity.

I did the run yesterday with all the material in the trunk, plus additiopnal miscellanous stuff, and the car did sit somewhat lower at the rear. I was surprised, though, how limited the the change in ride hide at the back was. Handling, of course, was more complicated than normal, but well within manageable limits.

Katjek1 -- any chance you have a photo of the setup you use for the rear seat area? Moving the CG forward wouyld make a big difference, before for handling and longterm wear and tear.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
Not really a set up. The rear lower seat comes off after pulling 2 latches. The driver side has flat floor under, when on passenger side there is well with battery and other stuff in it. My car had no cover on it, so I found a piece of square plywood and had to cut the corner a bit to fit the curve. Old blanket covering everything makes perfect dog-mobile and cargo hauler
With loading to maximum don't forget to adjust the tire pressure.
Most likely the tires are in biggest danger with overload.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.