Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'02 E320 Wagon, '13 Chevrolet Volt
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get rear tires for my upcoming 16/8 Lorinser LO wheels, and wonder what the best and widest tire size I can use with this wheel, and still be "safe." is it 225?

I am planning to use H&R lowering springs, and since I have a 560SEL, I have SLS in the rear.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Factory mustangs run a 245 from the factory on an 8 inch wheel and the sidewall is nearly square with the wheel. I've seen, but would never recommend, a 325 on factory Mustang Bullitt wheels. In my opinion the widest you should go is 275. It will bulge at the sidewalls a little giving them an aggressive, meaty look.

If it were my car I would run a 245/50-16 in the front and a 255/50-16 in the rear. Not too big, but enough width to look really good. Lower it too, if it isn't already ;)

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I run 245/35 ZR17's and I have AMG lowered suspension and it's just fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that is quite a bit wider than I expected, and would be great if I can do something similar. The front wheels I already have, and they are of a more "normal" width, so I guess it would generate a slightly staggered look.

I will hopefully mount on the Euro bumpers this week, and then onto the newly refinished wheel adventure... :D

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,138 Posts
Wow, didnt know that was possible, to go much wider than 225. Is it safe? Having said that, my LO's have 225's on the front and back, the front are only 6.5" though i think, and I remember the tyre shop saying that wasn't uncommon back in the day from tuners.

Heres a pic of my 8" rear et11 with 225's on for reference. I do sometimes get the slightest rub but only when fully peopled up, and I think my rear springs are just tired so they sag very easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 225's all around now with the 15" OEM wheels, and obviously no rubbing since the car is not lowered yet. Just interested in how wide I should go in the rear with the H&R springs installed.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
I am about to get rear tires for my upcoming 16/8 Lorinser LO wheels, and wonder what the best and widest tire size I can use with this wheel, and still be "safe." is it 225?

I am planning to use H&R lowering springs, and since I have a 560SEL, I have SLS in the rear.

Many thanks.
I'm having flashbacks looking at this post!

Before you fit your tyres if you have Et11 all round I'd get 225/50 so I could rotate the wheel to even out the wear. My SEL has this size LO/tyre fitted with Eibachs/4 nub shim on the front and the front tyres do have higher wear than the rear. Fitting wider tyres on the rear and you can't do this.

Cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having flashbacks looking at this post!

Before you fit your tyres if you have Et11 all round I'd get 225/50 so I could rotate the wheel to even out the wear. My SEL has this size LO/tyre fitted with Eibachs/4 nub shim on the front and the front tyres do have higher wear than the rear. Fitting wider tyres on the rear and you can't do this.

Cheers
Yes, I am aware of this. The thing is that two of the wheels came with good Michelin MX4 tires which are slightly narrower than the 225s (wheels are still at the shop and I do not remember the exact measurement), so I was toying with the idea to get a staggered look with the tires since I want wider tires in the back compared to what I currently have. I guess I could get 225s for the back and then, when the time comes, buy the same for the front.

I do however like a slight staggered look so I might start with the different tires until I potentially can find a set of narrower front wheels or even better two 9" rear LO wheels to make it real.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at wheels today. Would 245/50/16 work in the rear without rubbing?
Not that much wider than the 225, but enough to make a difference "look-wise."

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
Looked at wheels today. Would 245/50/16 work in the rear without rubbing?
Not that much wider than the 225, but enough to make a difference "look-wise."
should work no problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts