Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea MAVA has not been on the forum.

School has been kicking my butt, but life has been a little unfair too as I have lost some my commodities of life. I'm hanging on is all that matters, and school is my priorty. The rest is optional. My stuff is in storage I visit it a few times a year. Joe will be taken care of as I do plan to pay him. I will leave it at that...

Now, my buddy Craig who did leather seats has past-on to the next life (He died) about a month ago in his sleep from what I was told He was 60. Here is his past contact info on this thread, so DO NOT go contacting him, and obviously his family has not closed his ebay account.. See post 10:

For those of you who do not know who or what is Craig. He made leather replacement seats for W140's, W124's, W126's, and R129's. He made a few pairs for me, but the only person I know that got the MOST benefit was Merc-S600(Chris). Chris' cars have been finished because of Craig...

Their you have it folks,

Martin

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,997 Posts
So sorry to hear about Craig. He got my two coupes seat coverings replaced or repaired, the last time only a few months ago. He made covers from scratch for my front seats in my second coupe. A real Craftsman. He will be missed.

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,606 Posts
Hi Martin & welcome back .
I cant believe CRAIG (also my Friend ) has passed into the next Life ,I'm very sad to hear this . My Condolences to you - his Friends & all his Family .
Who's gonna supply all the awesome Leather now?, Craig will be sadly missed by many .

CRAIG supplied the Leather for my "
EX 600SE ,Full Beige Interior with 4 seat conversion including consoles etc.
Current 600SEL ,Full Beige Leather interior .
----------------------------------------------------
S500 ,Grey Leather front seats for Jimmy's .
S600 , Full Black/Grey Interior for Ilhan's .

·
Registered
1994 S500 W140
181 Posts
MAVA, sorry to hear about you friend and the bumps you are encountering in life. We have done business and the outcome has always worked out. That being said I know when we're going through things we sometimes have a tendency to feel like it's only happening to us and that's not always the case. Look at this forum, we come here asking questions and getting answers because someone else has done it, experienced it, fixed it or is about to go through it so we try and help, because we can. I feel that way and I believe the people here are liked minded. Thanks for all your info/help and don't stay away so long. PM or call you want.
Patrick

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sorry to hear about Craig. He got my two coupes seat coverings replaced or repaired, the last time only a few months ago. He made covers from scratch for my front seats in my second coupe. A real Craftsman. He will be missed.

Jon
Yea, Craig was a Craftsman. Always fine-tuning his craft. I'm glad you got some coupe seats as I think no-one else makes them outside of Mercedes. The next low cost option is Lseat.com, but not sure if Lseat makes coupe seats.

Craig had piles of W140 coupe parts, yet from what I recall like three pairs of complete coupe doors. Something like ten pairs of coupe head lights. Like three pairs of coupe seats. Something like 6 blue coupe close assist pumps, and about 10 black sedan close pumps. About 30 or so PSE pumps. About few HUNDRED finished seat covers all bagged ready to ship. About four or five finished spare V8 engines with new transmissions attached with all the accessories attached ready to just drop-in and plug-in. I hope they do not throw out everything. It was all in storage in his massive home he had. He built(by him self!!!!) his 3 bedroom every room with its own bathrooms. 5000sq or so single story with like 15ft ceilings. five heaters along with five A/C units. With marble floors with lots of concrete columns inside and outside. That 50" or 60" stove was something. That was a small mint there. Their was nothing " Home Depot" or "Lowes" home-center about his house, and one could NOT get nothing there either for that house. I remember he broke a single pane glass shower door because of a dumb mistake. That was like 2-Grand later in cost for the glass. Everything was custom and imported for that house. Those front double doors six to seven inches thick, and about ten feet in height. The look like they came from old old Catholic Church from mid-evil times .

Craig was in the drywall business with about 50 to 100 employees, and when the economy tanked he got out.

Just a few months back I finished My W210 wagon at his house; I blew the engine on my 4-Matic E320, and fixed the AC system on one of three W140's.

He will be missed

Hi Martin & welcome back .
I cant believe CRAIG (also my Friend ) has passed into the next Life ,I'm very sad to hear this . My Condolences to you - his Friends & all his Family .
Who's gonna supply all the awesome Leather now?, Craig will be sadly missed by many .

CRAIG supplied the Leather for my "
EX 600SE ,Full Beige Interior with 4 seat conversion including consoles etc.
Current 600SEL ,Full Beige Leather interior .
----------------------------------------------------
S500 ,Grey Leather front seats for Jimmy's .
S600 , Full Black/Grey Interior for Ilhan's .
Thank you, yea Craig left a big void, but I am very glad you were able to finish your car as everything he did for you was custom. All I can say is oil your leather as their is no more Craig. You were the only individual that got the most benefit. I just got three seat covers from him. He sold lots and lots of W124 seat covers world wide. The ratio was like 20 to 30 W124 seat covers to a W140 seat covers.

Craig was not a tech savvy guy. He was afraid of tech. Did not own a smart-phone. Always questioned me and the forum here as he was just a busy worker bee sewing and sewing...

He will be missed...

Mava,
What are you studying in school?
At the moment it is welding. Sounds easy, but it is an ART to be a welder. It is multidimensional to get it right with 3G and 4G (Vertical and Upside Down). In laments term to get the complexity of horizontal to vertical it is like giving a 15 minute instruction to a person( that has never driven a car) to learn to drive a car versus giving that same 15 minute instruction to fly a twin-engine plane. I spend many hours of day welding. I have gone through hundreds of electrodes. Vertical is a bitch to get.

Then welding on a common 7018 electrode over 6010 is a bitch of a bitch to do too...

To pass the welding license is a bitch to do too, and it is all about being licensed.

So I'm on that path to complement my recent A/C license in Refrigeration/Residential/Industrial

Trying get into this specialized position which pays to start over $100k with both licenses

That is what I'm upto.....

So sorry to hear this . RIP friend
Thank you, Yea he helped out many here with never ever posting a single post here... His gorgeous set of seats were for the R129 they were way better than the factory.

MAVA, sorry to hear about you friend and the bumps you are encountering in life. We have done business and the outcome has always worked out. That being said I know when we're going through things we sometimes have a tendency to feel like it's only happening to us and that's not always the case. Look at this forum, we come here asking questions and getting answers because someone else has done it, experienced it, fixed it or is about to go through it so we try and help, because we can. I feel that way and I believe the people here are liked minded. Thanks for all your info/help and don't stay away so long. PM or call you want.
Patrick
Thank you but he was a friend to many on this Benzworld portal. Bumps on the road we all go through them. I'm fine. Just moving forward. The past is the past..I'm just on another path that needs my attention, and it is business over pleasure for now.

Thank you,

Martin

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,606 Posts
What did Craig actually Die of ? ,if you know . 60 is a bit young or isn't it ?.
Yes , Looks like i was lucky to just finish it . Even sent me the complete airbag /Wood Steering Wheel from a 99 model with the Black MB Star , one for me one for Joe & the Middle Console as well .Thanks Craig .R_I_P .
Here is a current look Pic .
Chris New Wheel.jpg

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,616 Posts
At the moment it is welding. Sounds easy, but it is an ART to be a welder.
agreed. welding is science, art and many other things. As a student of mechanical engineering I had to pass two semesters (one year) of theory in welding. I guess it was less than one percent of most important things about welding. In practice I am not able to weld anything except massive steel pieces ... :(.

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RIP Craig.

Good luck with your studies Martin.
Yea Joe RIP Craig..... Always helped all He will be missed!!

Thankyou, It is what a middle age person needs to do to get into job force as I have been excluded at all fronts...

What did Craig actually Die of ? ,if you know . 60 is a bit young or isn't it ?.
Yes , Looks like i was lucky to just finish it . Even sent me the complete airbag /Wood Steering Wheel from a 99 model with the Black MB Star , one for me one for Joe & the Middle Console as well .Thanks Craig .R_I_P .
Here is a current look Pic .
View attachment 2609246 View attachment 2609246
It is what most men die of, Heart-Attack ... That is exactly what his wife said to me. He was all prepared for retirement in a few years. Winding down things. Getting the mansion ready for sale.. Get an EKG test where the heart is measured at the limbs for amplitude and heart beat width, and it needs to be the same, yet not the same at the limbs one is on the brink of a Heart Attack - Silent killer for most men.

I'm happy you got your car got finished

agreed. welding is science, art and many other things. As a student of mechanical engineering I had to pass two semesters (one year) of theory in welding. I guess it was less than one percent of most important things about welding. In practice I am not able to weld anything except massive steel pieces ... :(.
Shielded Metal Arc Welding is the hardest to master, and for my course it is all ABOUT massive steel pieces. The state certification is everything for me...

That is what is cooking with me...

Martin

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Thanks for the thread MAVA. My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend and our much respected leather seat expert.

Thanks for your help on my cars, always appreciated - and especially recently on the PSE.

Good luck with everything on your end, I know how tough life can be.

Be well my friend... and very, very good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
864 Posts
Mava,

I remember the boiler tube welders at my power plant had to pass several tests. One was a hidden weld where they had to weld with a mirror (upside down and backwards) and another was a "Dutchman" they had to cut a "Window" in the outside of a waterwall tube and weld up the fissure (blowout) on the fire side. Then they had to weld back the window. This allowed a tube repair without totally cooling off the boiler. The real test, once they were approved, was if the repair held up to the 2400PSI steam pressure of the boiler. They were true craftsmen and artists!

I hear overhead welding is the biggest bitch as gravity is not your friend! That is why most ships are now built in modules. The overhead (ceiling) and associated piping is welded upside down and then righted before it is joined to the rest of the module. The 5 or 6 modules are then assembled into the final ship. I worked at Ingalls shipyard in the early 90's on the LHD program in the Marine Engineering Dept. and was amazed at what the craftsmen could accomplish. Good luck on your welding.

BTW, I have been using your thread on side mirror repair. I bought the aftermarket gaskets and an aftermarket "frame". About $20 for the frame from Turkey and $40 for a left and right gasket. I did have to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame so the pin would pass thru. Your method on unplugging the wires was excellent and relatively easy. I will post on the mirror forum when I finally finish.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,616 Posts
Shielded Metal Arc Welding is the hardest to master, and for my course it is all ABOUT massive steel pieces. The state certification is everything for me...
I forgot to say that my welding of massive steel pieces is at the level of kids playing :). so no for serious use. if i need anything which has to be welded seriously I have to visit a pro. That hurts :).

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
410 Posts
Wow, people who know these cars are getting older for sure, Craig was prolific, someone needs to buy those parts to resell and help his family out before they go in the trash.

Craig unfortunately could not match the texture and color on mine, the 2-tone Nappa fine-grain on the later 600s is just really obscure. Ultimately, German Auto Tops (John) in N. Hollywood found me the right grain, in a close-enough color such that I was able to hire a dye shop locally to get the right colors onto the right texture. This took a year and around $3,000 just for the fronts. John isn't getting any younger either, he owns one of these cars (a 99 500 coupe), really the only other reliable resource I know of. GAHH and the other "Mercedes interior du jour" shops were pretty much useless for my specific needs.

·
Registered
99" CL500 , 99' CL500, 97' S500, 01' S500, 02’ G500, 09’ G550
2,153 Posts
Sorry about your loss brother. I had no idea. You’ve always helped me out and I am grateful for that.

I’ve seen your work first hand and have no doubt you will do well.

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, people who know these cars are getting older for sure, Craig was prolific, someone needs to buy those parts to resell and help his family out before they go in the trash.
My conversation with the wife( Typical Type-A reaction) All of it got trashed. She used two roll-away 30ftx 6ft x6ft construction dumpsters and hired like four people, and took them a week to clean that house of his MB parts. Sewing machines included.... Had lots of parts....You name it he had it... M120 harnesses....on and on

Sad....... I hate impatient people..............

Martin

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
657 Posts
Martin,
You have all the right stuff to be successful. You are tenacious, thorough and accurate in your endeavors. I congratulate your continuing education and wish you all the best. Regards,
Seth

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
My conversation with the wife( Typical Type-A reaction) All of it got trashed. She used two roll-away 30ftx 6ft x6ft construction dumpsters and hired like four people, and took them a week to clean that house of his MB parts. Sewing machines included.... Had lots of parts....You name it he had it... M120 harnesses....on and on

Sad....... I hate impatient people..............

Martin
I don't like to speak bad about anyone, but what a nutcase. So disrespectful to his tender spirit... R.I.P.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts