Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My car is a 1983 Mercedes 300d turbo diesel.

My problem started with my brake pedal going to the floor, so I replaced the master cylinder. For a few weeks my brakes were fine, however after a while they started to feel "soft" again. I re-bled the brake system which helped a lot, it was fine for a while again until recently my brakes are once again soft. Looking at the master cylinder, there is definitely a brake fluid leak from around the base where it connects to the vacuum booster. I have been doing some reading on here, and apparently there is a seal that goes between the MC and vacuum booster. Does anyone know where to find a replacement seal?

Any other tips on troubleshooting my brake issues? I never see any drips underneath the car, so i don't think any of the calipers are leaking or anything like that.

Any/ All advice or help would be most appreciated :bowdown:

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The seal, or "O" ring between the M/C and booster is an air seal, not fluid.

There are two rubber grommets between the brake fluid reservoir and the M/C itself: Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I recently replaced mine, remove as much fluid as you can from the reservoir.
Carefully remove the reservoir with a pry bar or screw driver.
Remove the grommets that stayed (in my case) on the M/C.
Install the new ones on the M/C.
Fit, rock and otherwise persuade the reservoir back on, this took a while.
Refill with new fluid, the rear fills up more than the front, don't worry, once the brakes are applied, they'll even out.
No need to bleed the system afterwards.

Also check inside the booster for any fluid, if there is any, remove that too, you'll need a new M/C, as I found out was my case. So if your grommets are good, this is what you'll need: Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts