Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300CE, '91 300D, '96 F250, '01 F350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a massive oil leak on my '91 300 CE. Oil is running down on the left side of the engine by the starter. From what I have been able to tell from manuals and looking at it, it seems to have a coolant cooled oil cooler.

It would seem there is a gasket / hose / o-ring that has failed. From the manuals and looking at the car it seems I will need to remove the intake manifold to find the leak. I thought I might be able to remove the starter to access the filter housing / oil cooler but it doesn't look like there is enough room to do much.

My question is, is removing the intake manifold the best way to proceed? What is the most likely failure part in the area? I hope it is just the oil pressure sender. If it is the sender can it be replaced by removing the starter?

Thanks for any insights before I get started. :)

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
Yes, your car has a coolant cooled oil cooler. Yes, these are prone to leakage.
What some have done, is install a non coolant cooled oil cooler (few!!) with a standard, M103 one.
Now, about the removal of the intake, I attempted it so I could get to my injectors, but lost patience and just R&Red my injectors with flexing my fingers and self improvised tools.
I got far enough to see that there is nothing really flimsy on there, just be careful.

·
Registered
1992 300ce, 3.0, 207,00 mi.
335 Posts
Coolant leaks are more common, between block and heat exchanger (sm hose, very difficult to deal with) or the hard pipe going to the WP ( "O" ring at heat exch end). I would first ck further for exact location before removing intake manifold. Use a long 17mm wrench to reach the oil sending unit, helps a little to remove oil filter cap, and just taking off the wire connector can be a challenge. Do not remove starter, you get to the oil press sending unit fm the top. Good luck.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
You can bypass the oil cooler. Its so small, there is little benefit from it in the first place.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1992 300CE, Engine M104, (2002 E320 4matic Wagon—Retired)
329 Posts
Yes, you can by pass the oil cooler. I ended up bypassing mine, to avoid the cost of a new oil cooler. Hopefully, there is more info here on how to do that. I can take some shots of my engine compartment if that will help. I have an m104 300 ce.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts