Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Has your mass air flow sensor failed?

  • YES

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • NO

    Votes: 22 75.9%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mass air-flow sensor for my brand new, 2006, SLK55 AMG with it's hand-built engine has failed at approximately 400 miles.

The dealer has replaced the part, and is keeping the car overnight to ensure that the repair has been properly (whatever that means).

More to come on this as the situation progesses......

I'd like to see if this is a common problem, so feel free to vote in the attached poll.
 

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
Joined
·
837 Posts
I had a mass air-flow sensor fail on 1998 E320 (sold since) that I had owned for more than 7 years but it worked fine after replacement. It had about 50K miles on it when the sensor failed.
 

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
Joined
·
192 Posts
Novabenz, you didn't happen to replace the stock air filters with K&Ns did you? its not terribly uncommon for an "oiled gauze" type filter to shed a little too much oil and gum up the MAF hotwire.

Every MAF failure I've ever seen was a "physical" issue - broken wire, gummed up wire, et cetera.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
132 Posts
novabenz said:
The mass air-flow sensor for my brand new, 2006, SLK55 AMG with it's hand-built engine has failed at approximately 400 miles.

The dealer has replaced the part, and is keeping the car overnight to ensure that the repair has been properly (whatever that means).

More to come on this as the situation progesses......

I'd like to see if this is a common problem, so feel free to vote in the attached poll.
novabenz did you upgrade from a 350 to a 55?
 

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Shiny_side_up said:
Novabenz, you didn't happen to replace the stock air filters with K&Ns did you? its not terribly uncommon for an "oiled gauze" type filter to shed a little too much oil and gum up the MAF hotwire.

Every MAF failure I've ever seen was a "physical" issue - broken wire, gummed up wire, et cetera.

I was thinking the same thing, Well thats bad I hope it runs well after fixing it, Thank good I got Green filters
 

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Indy - yes, I sold my 350 and upgraded to the 55.

Shiny - no, I have not replaced the stock air filters. so the stock parts are in place.

UPDATE (6/8/06 9:00am est)
Well, I've gotten some more information from a friend of mine, who also used to work at a Mercedes Benz dealer as a tech.

Mercedes has had continual past problems with mass air flow sensors throughout their entire line of cars. It seems that Mercedes is stubborn to change the supplier of the part, and the part is prone to breaking. There are brand new cars, coming off delivery trucks which have this part defective and requiring replacement.

As for my car, my friend said that most likely the dealer's service department just wants to make very sure that the repair has been "accepted" by the ECU and that everything is functioning properly. A fully cold start, after a night of sitting, will hope to ensure that this is the case.

I'll update this thread as soon as I hear later today what the situation is.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best....
 

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry the delay with this update.
Dealer's Tech called at 11 am to say that they have to road test the car with the newly installed mass air flow sensor for a minimum of forty five (45) minutes.
Assuming the road test and subsequent computer run of codes checks out, then car is repaired.
I'll keep everyone posted as this further unfolds......
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
132 Posts
novabenz said:
Sorry the delay with this update.
Dealer's Tech called at 11 am to say that they have to road test the car with the newly installed mass air flow sensor for a minimum of forty five (45) minutes.
Assuming the road test and subsequent computer run of codes checks out, then car is repaired.
I'll keep everyone posted as this further unfolds......
I think I might tell them "I'll do the 45 minute road test, thank you very much, not your technician."

I know they will be able to fix it and you will be enjoying your 55 again. By the way, congratulations on your upgrade to the 55!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The repairs are done and the car's finally back home.
I'll let everyone know if there's any further issues with this problem.
Hopefully it's a "one and done" situation.
Looking forward to having a great weekend of driving with the top down!!!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top