Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Exactly the view from our back deck.....it's not a nature preserve but it's pure endless forest and has been purchased by a large group on the lake just to be kept that way....

_

Now we must also respect 'some' others here who also enjoy the many pleasures of there properly equipped "man caves".. ..:eek:...:love:
Right on, yeah I'm on an old horse ranch on a few acres surrounded by horse ranches of varying sizes a mile away from the beach, unfortunately my idyllic and secluded home town has been "discovered" since the advent of the internet, we tore down the signs that showed the turnoff to town for many years, if you got a sign you became an honorary member of the "Bolinas Border Patrol" but now we are being over run by billionaires and tourists, Annie Leibowitz just bought a house down the street for 6.5 million, Martha Stuart has a place here, Hillary Clinton stays here, DiFi has a house nearby, between them and AirBnB we (the locals) are being squeezed out, the school pop has dropped by 50% since 2000, now there are 200 mailboxes empty in town when the wait list used to be years, prices have increased by 10x since 2000, such a bummer, Stinson Beach (the next town over) has an occupancy of about 20%, the rest of the houses sit empty for AirBnB and vacation rentals, it's horrific, although it is nice having the town to ourselves during the week and especially during winter, but the weekends in the summer you learn to "shelter in place" from the swarms of locusts (tourists)

This ranch is right up the street, that's SF in the background, maybe 10 miles as the crow flies but well over an hour to drive over curving mountain roads that deter all but the most intrepid, of course the truly rich just have their helicopters fly them here

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
All this living in a cardboard box, off the grid.. Is great if you are a single guy.. BUT if you're married and are planning to stay that way.. It ain't going to happen.. Never meet a woman that didn't want a house, and once you buy that house for them.. "This place is too small, we need a bigger house"..

PS I didn't look at the video, but just looking at the babe and the dude on the screen shot.. She would walk out on him in a heart beat, if she had a 3br/2bath lined up...
I've met plenty of women like that myself over the years. Stayed away from them; instead, I married someone who showed me over many years just how good a friend she is. I'm a fortunate man to have her in my life.

There's a guy I used to work with who married essentially the real-life verion of Jessica Rabbit, complete with naturally red hair. She turned out to be a bad choice, taking advantage of him and all. Same mentality as you describe above ("my looks will get me anything I want"). He tried to make it work for 25 years and finally divorced her (no kids, fortunately). He remarried a German-American woman who isn't Jessica Rabbit...but she's an excellent partner for him and he thinks the world of her. The chrome plating can be nice, but the substance under it matters a lot more.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
@The Proctologist : you're in Marin County? Man, I used to go up there all the time to hang out with friends. Good memories. Yeah, Marin's been "discovered" and priced out of mere mortal reach. Had some family in San Anselmo and some very good friends in Mill Valley that we'd go see fairly often. Absolutely beautiful country.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Right on, yeah I'm on an old horse ranch on a few acres surrounded by horse ranches of varying sizes a mile away from the beach, unfortunately my idyllic and secluded home town has been "discovered" since the advent of the internet, we tore down the signs that showed the turnoff to town for many years, if you got a sign you became an honorary member of the "Bolinas Border Patrol" but now we are being over run by billionaires and tourists, Annie Leibowitz just bought a house down the street for 6.5 million, Martha Stuart has a place here, Hillary Clinton stays here, DiFi has a house nearby, between them and AirBnB we (the locals) are being squeezed out, the school pop has dropped by 50% since 2000, now there are 200 mailboxes empty in town when the wait list used to be years, prices have increased by 10x since 2000, such a bummer, Stinson Beach (the next town over) has an occupancy of about 20%, the rest of the houses sit empty for AirBnB and vacation rentals, it's horrific, although it is nice having the town to ourselves during the week and especially during winter, but the weekends in the summer you learn to "shelter in place" from the swarms of locusts (tourists)

This ranch is right up the street, that's SF in the background, maybe 10 miles as the crow flies but well over an hour to drive over curving mountain roads that deter all but the most intrepid, of course the truly rich just have their helicopters fly them here

Nice view.. I wish I could afford something like that.. Any of you guys out there want to swap.. PS my wife isn't part of deal..

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
All this living in a cardboard box, off the grid.. Is great if you are a single guy.. BUT if you're married and are planning to stay that way.. It ain't going to happen.. Never meet a woman that didn't want a house, and once you buy that house for them.. "This place is too small, we need a bigger house"..

PS I didn't look at the video, but just looking at the babe and the dude on the screen shot.. She would walk out on him in a heart beat, if she had a 3br/2bath lined up...

You make a good point. I was married but now I'm not. Former wife is currently married to Mr. Lotsa Munny and they're both great consumers.

The way I see it, too many Americans, regardless of gender, maintain an unhealthy attitude toward buying and possessing more and bigger stuff. Despite the warnings from the Great Recession, most people still crave living in a house that is much larger than it needs to be. Just because you're a family of 4 it doesn't mean you need to have 4 bathrooms.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Right on, yeah I'm on an old horse ranch on a few acres surrounded by horse ranches of varying sizes a mile away from the beach.........

What an amazing view to have, especially with "the tube" rolling in at the back. Definitely paradise...with that perfect setting..

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
5300 square ft, 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms (the master bath being about 300 square ft), two open plan sitting rooms and dining room, dining kitchen, study, move room, games room, hidden room (closet), 3 garage spaces. And I still can't find anywhere to hide :-(
IS5uutwrt2ugbn1000000000.jpg

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
well....yeah, you live in McTexas, where better to eat a McWhataburger than a McMansion in McHouston

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Our burgers are made from hormone and antibiotic free ground up steers from my father-in-law's 300 acre ranch :)

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thait's just becawse you cain't per-nounce "hawotaberger"

Teasing, that sounds great, I buy meat from the local butcher who buys it from the local farms, all within 3 miles of me, same with produce, there are a number of farm stands we frequent daily, most everything we eat was in the ground that day or the day before or alive within the last few days, although I do like letting my ribeye age a bit, living in the country has it's perks

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
So long as it's not my Lidl pony...

He started out a few years ago buying in calves and bringing them on until they're ready for the slaughterhouse. Now I think he has a couple of his own bulls and let's the animals do what comes naturally. All black Angus too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
5300 square ft, 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms (the master bath being about 300 square ft), two open plan sitting rooms and dining room, dining kitchen, study, move room, games room, hidden room (closet), 3 garage spaces. And I still can't find anywhere to hide :-( View attachment 2606528 View attachment 2606528
Nice joint Jag-man.. but you need to find a way to drop that place on 100 acres of land.. Me and the wife built our shack, 1200sq up stairs living (2br/1bath)..with 1200sq down stairs stables.. People flip out when they come over and see my wife's "babies" watching Mr. Ed on their big screen..
PS.. I know that's not a big screen, but don't tell the "babies".. they might demand that I buy them one..

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
She's down to inherit half, her sister getting the other half. Either we will get the half with the house on, split the land three ways and sell 50-100 acres with the house on it and split the cash, or I'm going to build a frigging CASTLE on our half :)

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
She's down to inherit half, her sister getting the other half. Either we will get the half with the house on, split the land three ways and sell 50-100 acres with the house on it and split the cash, or I'm going to build a frigging CASTLE on our half :)
I have a plan for the barn...

·
Registered
411 Posts
PS.. did you ever catch any of "Daryl's House".. Man, that was so cool.. People coming in from all over for sessions out in the woods.. It really went down hill when he moved it to a club in town.. I sure his old lady was screaming at him "Get these F-ing bums out of MY house"..

61 - 79 of 79 Posts