Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Sounds like you want to build one of these.

I remember Lawrence Technical University competing in the Solar Decathlon 2007. Their house didn't score well according to the judges...but it was judged the favorite house by the crowd. Has two bedrooms (still being used, apparently, as a technology demonstrator). This one, and Santa Clara University, both felt the most like an actual, liveable house compared to the others which felt more like jarring science projects.

Which brings to mind something...for many years, Intel made all of their CPU's here in the United States, and they still do make a lot of 'em here. We can make some pretty good silicon. Since solar panels are essentially silicon P-N junction diodes, we could be making those here as well (same goes, therefore, for solar roof shingles). Mass-production would make it less expensive to purchase.
They're already churning out panels in China by the container ship load. Low wages, no unions and no OSHA. Why would any manufacturer move production to the US?

·
Registered
411 Posts
All this living in a cardboard box, off the grid.. Is great if you are a single guy.. BUT if you're married and are planning to stay that way.. It ain't going to happen.. Never meet a woman that didn't want a house, and once you buy that house for them.. "This place is too small, we need a bigger house"..

PS I didn't look at the video, but just looking at the babe and the dude on the screen shot.. She would walk out on him in a heart beat, if she had a 3br/2bath lined up...

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
............ "This place is too small, we need a bigger house".............

...............PS I didn't look at the video, but just looking at the babe and the dude on the screen shot.. She would walk out on him in a heart beat, if she had a 3br/2bath lined up...............

Someone's not looking at the big package ..errr..big picture here.

____

My wife would prefer a smaller house in fact..

__

Well, I did watch the video and admired their building knowledge and energy. What a wonderful upbringing and values shared with their children..

We should all be so lucky to share such a wonderful life experience..

·
Registered
411 Posts

Someone's not looking at the big package ..errr..big picture here.

____

My wife would prefer a smaller house in fact..
At 63, UPS doesn't deliver to my door anymore... And I'm curios, just how many extra bed rooms you got that your wife wants to "down size"

PS, Never seen a bar fight (been in one) that a woman didn't stir up some trouble first..:

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
All this living in a cardboard box, off the grid.. Is great if you are a single guy.. BUT if you're married and are planning to stay that way.. It ain't going to happen.. Never meet a woman that didn't want a house, and once you buy that house for them.. "This place is too small, we need a bigger house"..

She would walk out on him in a heart beat, if she had a 3br/2bath lined up...
You literally couldn't be more wrong in my experience, that whole "big house" mentality might be true for "Boomer" women or even Gen X'ers, but women nowadays are actually concerned about things like carbon footprint and sustainability and I see a HUGE push for small houses, one woman I know is building one now, sheetrock went in yesterday and a number of friends are either looking into small houses or already doing it, I myself moved into a smallish 1906 farm house on 2 acres and my wife is over the fucking moon, it has a detached cottage we use for the bedroom and we have two other outbuildings (sheds) one being a mancave the other holds all the yard tools but the place we moved from was significantly bigger and we much prefer this. If your wife wants a bigger house I suggest trading her in for a younger model. Living in a van down by the river is now a life goal

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
McMansions... they were a thing.
"Were" being the operative word, I don't disagree they built those McMansion developments everywhere, I even double down on my assertion, younger women aren't necessarily into that level of ostentatious bullshit, change is coming, now granted I may be seeing it more as I live in The Bay Area where there is a housing crisis ie rent and buying homes have gotten unbelievably unaffordable, but for example they put those McMansion developments/ gated communities in all over the place around the Sacramento area, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Rocklin etc, places where land was plentiful and cheap

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Yeah I have a buddy that lives in one of those, 7 bedrooms, a "Gone With the Wind" staircase etc, big swimming pool out back, the only redeeming quality is the backyard adjoins a nature preserve so once you walk through the front door it's like entering another world in the country, it's nice but it's not for me, gimme a funky farmhouse down a dirt road a few miles outside of town every time

·
Registered
411 Posts
A little some extra
Yeah I have a buddy that lives in one of those, 7 bedrooms, a "Gone With the Wind" staircase etc, big swimming pool out back, the only redeeming quality is the backyard adjoins a nature preserve so once you walk through the front door it's like entering another world in the country, it's nice but it's not for me, gimme a funky farmhouse down a dirt road a few miles outside of town every time
And bet your buddy, got some hot babe hang on his arm.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the girls.. But you young guys need to wise up.. Look around, who's on the war path, screaming the loudest.. "String him up".. Gang of five?.. Warren? Pelosi?.. an a host of other ladies that seem to be running the Democrat Party.. "Dudes" you need to get a handle on these women of yours.. One morning you're going to wake up with your ribs kicked end.. And say to yourself.. " Here I was minding my own business, next thing I know I've got some guy pounding on my face.

I can see it now.. Here's Bill in the oval office,..looking over some peace treaty.. In comes Monica.. bending over to show him a little of what she's got.. Wham o, Bill's in trouble and Monica is crying "He took advantage of me".. Ya, right..

·
Registered
411 Posts
More of the same rant... A while back , I ran into "the juice".. There he was sitting with a Nicole look-a-like.. All I could do was shake my head " Damn, man you didn't learn anything from the last go around"..And to top it off, Suzanne who was supposedly with me.. was all over the guy.. I couldn't figure out who had less brains, him or her..

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
A little some extra

And bet your buddy, got some hot babe hang on his arm.
Nope, not even close

I have to say, you and I have diametrically opposed views about women, and I'm 54, not that young, yes there are social climbing douchenozzles that fit that description, but that applies to men and women both, of all ethnicity, labeling it strictly "women" is a bit misogynistic, you sound like you say things like " I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black"

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
PS, Never seen a bar fight (been in one) that a woman didn't stir up some trouble first..:
I bartended for a few decades and this wasn't my experience at all and I've had to go over the bar a few hundred times

I am sorry you have had such terrible experiences with women that your opinion of them is so low

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bartended for a few decades and this wasn't my experience at all and I've had to go over the bar a few hundred times

I am sorry you have had such terrible experiences with women that your opinion of them is so low
We must of been living on two different planets.. And who says I wasn't having a great time... Just don't fool yourself, thinking your running the show.. I'll say it again, I LOVE THE GIRLS,..just watch your back..

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
........... is the backyard adjoins a nature preserve so once you walk through the front door it's like entering another world in the country.................
Exactly the view from our back deck.....it's not a nature preserve but it's pure endless forest and has been purchased by a large group on the lake just to be kept that way....

_

Now we must also respect 'some' others here who also enjoy the many pleasures of there properly equipped "man caves".. ..:eek:...:love:

41 - 60 of 79 Posts