Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed on other threads but I'm trying to spec my car and have read conflicting views on this subject.

I really want the manual box rather than the auto. Test drove the auto and wasn't impressed. Didn't think the gear shift was smooth and didn't like the lack of interaction. Did try the tip shift through the steering buttons but again found it disappointing. That's why I decided on a manual but am having second thoughts due to others comments regarding resale value and reliability of MB manual gear boxes.

The resale value is the most worrying aspect. My dealer says the auto is more popular but having a manual should not affect resale. He even suggested it might retain its value better due to being hard to find. It's the old story of supply and demand I guess - if someone wants a manual and they are hard to find, it pushes prices up. However I'm not sure if this will hold true for this car. It certainly didn't for the previous SLK. However the previous SLK was bought more by women than men. It also lacked performance in many areas. The new SLK is a true performance coupe and, as such, is attracting more male drivers. In my opinion a true sports car should have a manual shift. It's more engaging to drive and allows greater flexibility for the driver.

This is all a personal opinion of course and I know others swear by the auto box. What I really want to know is peoples opinions on resale value. Do you think it will have much of an effect?

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
I will chime in on this.
In the US - we are seeing a more pronounced shift towards automatics being more popular than manuals, especially in Mercedes.
I agree with you, a sports car deserves a manual.
However, for every day practicality and enjoyabilty - the automatic is favored.
Who hasn't gone for a drive on a nice day, only to be faced with an unexpected traffic jam which forces constant clutching?
One time in something like that is a sobering experience.
In the US, we tend to think that people in Europe prefer to drive manuals, so I don't think getting one would impact resale value for you - unless our thinking is inaccurate.
However, when making the FINAL decision - you should get what you like best and enjoy the most!!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I don't have first hand knowledge of the used car market in the U.K. but I don't think that a manual transmission will negatively impact resale value very much on an SLK. On a Mercedes sedan or coupe, probably but not on a sports car.

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Given the auto is a 2k option, I think you will retain the same, especially if you don;t expect much back for other extras - many buying used will see that 2k saving as a nessecity.

I say get what pleases you - for me the SLK is a daily drive, plus and having not had auto before I have opted for it.

As for being stuck in traffic with a clutch, well thats the norm to me, and personally I prefer a clutch for that rather - using park all the time and having to pass through reverse when in predominantly stationary traffic is a pharse.

(or should I just use the handbrake with the car in drive?? sitting with my foot on the brake is a no-no as the brake lights blind the driver behind)

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
bsharp - 2/25/2005 4:19 PM

(or should I just use the handbrake with the car in drive?? sitting with my foot on the brake is a no-no as the brake lights blind the driver behind)
I use neutral and hand brake.

I would never own a manual whilst doing the commute I do. Sat in M25 traffic and/or London traffic is a nightmare at the best of times [:(]

Shame the SLK doesn't have SBS like my E Class did. Much, much easier!

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
I spoke to 5 dealers when i was speccing my car - the only solid and consistent advice i received was to spec an auto box.

I have since contacted a few 'for sale' ads and true to form the manuals do NOT sell well on the used market, in fact one dealer openly told me if it had been auto it would have sold 12 times.

Correct use of an auto is NOT to shift into park every time you come to a stop - madness???????

Shift only into park during sustained stationery periods, i.e. periods of 15 minutes or more of complete stationery.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
Once the notion of the SLK as a true sports car takes hold...I believe the 6spd. manual will be an asset. However this is all speculation...btw the SLK is actually my wife's car and she prefers the 6spd. I drive a BMW(MT of course).

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
A lot of it also depends on where you live!!! [:D]

With living in the North of England, the traffic I have to sit in is not as bad as further down South so I much prefer the manual rather than the auto.

Also for me, I find that with the manual I have better control with take off speed. The hardest thing for me to get used to with my SLK was rear wheel drive, and in bad weather I can loose traction so easily. Now maybe if I had gone for the automatic this wouldn't be a problem, but I just feel happier with the manual box!!

I write some waffle sometimes!!!

At the end of the day, it is what you want to drive - if you want a manual then go for it. I've just spec-ed my new SLK with a manual box, and I'm only about the third manual from that dealer. I'm planning on having my new SLK for at least 5 years, and to be honest I'm hoping by that time the resale value difference between manual and auto will be minimal.

But with resale values you need to remember it is not only based on gearbox, there's also exterior and interior colour, mileage ... to take into account.

My current SLK is a second-hand manual. And was a year old when I got it with 4000 miles on the clock, silver and black colour combination. They had 3 different people interested in it, I was just the first to come up with the money!!!! [8D]

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As expected, differing views from everyone[:D]. I think it's difficult to predict resale value or what effect this option will have. Part of me feels that it will be harder to shift a manual SLK. My spec at the minute is:

SLK 350 Manual
Tellur Silver with Black Leather
Parktronic
APS COMAND
Heated Seats
Remote Roof Operation
Folding Mirrors

The manual might have to change though - just don't know[?]. However if I go for auto, the COMAND will have to go - just can't afford or justify both[:(].

Anyone else got an opinion - the more the better, I think!![:D]

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
I can't imagine why I would equip a car with a transmission I don't like just to raise the resale value! I chose the manual transmission because that is how I want it. I don't give a damn how the next person wants it.

Interstingly, MB Credit applies the same residula percentage regardless of the transmission choice.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I actually liked the 7G that I test drove. I got the 6MT because is is fun and you are more in control.

I agree with Gary. Resale is not an issue in my book.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Until test driving the Auto SLK my first option was to go for a manual, however the test drive convinced me otherwise.
The Auto change was really smooth and I am looking foward to learning how to drive an auto well as part of the fun of the new car.
As has been pointed out elsewhere though pick what you want, it would be a shame to compromise your car for what you think the person you sell it to may or may not want

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I have the auto and just posted in another thread that I am beginning to wish I had ordered the manual. This is my first automatic---I have always had a manual and miss the get-up-and-go and the control. The SLK just seems very sluggish to me starting off and doesn't respond quickly to manual gear change. Maybe the 55 reacts differently with the larger engine.

I chose the automatic for the same reason some of the others mentioned...sitting in LA traffic and operating a clutch will drive you crazy. But now I am not so sure I made the right choice[:(]

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
deathrattle - 2/25/2005 10:19 AM

I think another thing that puts people off autos is not being used to them.The first time i tried one it was totally alien to me.A test drive alone i'm sure would turn more people off than on.The first time you let your mind wander and shoot your left foot out to de-clutch is something you don't forget in a hurry,especially if you're not wearing a seat belt[B)]
No kidding! I was in Florida for the 12 Hours of Sebring a few years ago. On my way to the race track in a rental car (always auto in the US) and going way too fast I went to tap the clutch to disengage the cruise control when I picked up a radar hit. Unfortunately, that wasn't the clutch pedal, it was the brake! Hot coffee everywhere.[:)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
LOL about the "phantom" clutch. My first car had a "3-in-the-tree"; column manual gear shift. After driving this set-up exclusively for 9 months, my grandmother passed away. My dad asked me to drive him and my mom, plus my aunt and uncle to the funeral... in his 1968 Lincoln Continental. We're all dressed up, we get in the Lincoln, we take off... at about 30 miles an hour I slam on the power brake (where the "clutch" should have been), and shift the (automatic) column shifter up into PARK! Since my car did not have power brakes, the Lincoln's brakes were VERY strong & FAST acting... nobody was wearing seatbelts...

The really bad part: I did it one more time that day.

Nobody was hurt, but boy were they pissed.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I hate autos. I have been comforted to read reviews that recommend the manual, some slate the auto, and while I care about resale values I am buying this for me.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 2/25/2005 12:27 PM

I have the auto and just posted in another thread that I am beginning to wish I had ordered the manual. This is my first automatic---I have always had a manual and miss the get-up-and-go and the control. The SLK just seems very sluggish to me starting off and doesn't respond quickly to manual gear change. Maybe the 55 reacts differently with the larger engine.

I chose the automatic for the same reason some of the others mentioned...sitting in LA traffic and operating a clutch will drive you crazy. But now I am not so sure I made the right choice[:(]
malibuite:
wait until you are through the break-in and can jump on it in the "S" mode...you may be quite surprised...[:p][:p][:p]

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
HarleyB - 2/25/2005 3:20 PM

LOL about the "phantom" clutch. My first car had a "3-in-the-tree"; column manual gear shift. After driving this set-up exclusively for 9 months, my grandmother passed away. My dad asked me to drive him and my mom, plus my aunt and uncle to the funeral... in his 1968 Lincoln Continental. We're all dressed up, we get in the Lincoln, we take off... at about 30 miles an hour I slam on the power brake (where the "clutch" should have been), and shift the (automatic) column shifter up into PARK! Since my car did not have power brakes, the Lincoln's brakes were VERY strong & FAST acting... nobody was wearing seatbelts...

The really bad part: I did it one more time that day.

Nobody was hurt, but boy were they pissed.

Yep, I had a similar experience. In college I had a '66 VW Bug (1300 cc 4MT). My girlfriend had a '74 Bug with an auto. We were out on a date in her car with me behind the wheel. I spaced out and decided to down-shift so I stabbed my left foot out hitting the brakes. That sent my girlfriend's head into the windscreen; her head did not break but the windscreen sure did. BTW she was NOT wearing a seat belt. Our relationship survived for a while. But, boy did I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
I think the quality of the 7G box is a significant positive factor in favour of auto -
as far as resale goes -
there is also a misconeption that manual cars are driven harder than auto - (or if a manual is speced - the driver intends to DRIVE the car )

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
The factors favoring the 7G are lack of lower extremity strength/coordination , lots of stop and go city driving and the need to incessantly hold a cell phone. Otherwise, the manual trans is fine, and if you are worried about declining value over time just buy government bonds. Safe, steady and boring.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts