Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted the 3rd/4th linkage rod... The problem is, that there's SO much throw in the 3rd/4th gear, that the shifter runs out of room to make either 3rd or 4th work simutaniously. I can make 3rd work, or 4th work, but not both at once, if I get right in the middle, neither work. [8]

What's wrong?

Thank-you so much, in advance! [:)]

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
Maybe something in the gearbox is worn out. Or is it something in the shifters housing? Ca...

Maybe something in the gearbox is worn out. Or is it something in the shifters housing? Can you move the shifter a bit without the linkage rod moving?
If the gearbox is worn, a temporary solution may be to get an extra lever (the one on the gearbox) from a junkyard and shorten it 5-10mm by cutting it off and weld it together again. That would give some more grades on the gearbox 3-4 axle with the same movement on the shifter. Just a thought.

Anders

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much, on all accounts.How big of job is this? What exactly do you think i...

I figured as much, on all accounts.

How big of job is this? What exactly do you think is possibly worn out?

Oh yeah, and there is TONS of play in the linkage... you can move it probably a total of 4-6" in either direction, before it pushes into gear.

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
If you disconnect the linkage from the gearbox and fix the rod end with some tool so it ca...

If you disconnect the linkage from the gearbox and fix the rod end with some tool so it can´t be moved you can see if the play is in the shifters housing. Or if you ask a friend to get under the car and look on the 3-4 lever while you move the shifter. Start with small movements in the middle of 3:rd and 4:th gear and then make them bigger and bigger. The poor friend on the floor can hollow when he see any movement on the lever. If you can move the shifter knob several inches without any movement on the gearbox lever the play will be somewhere in the shifters housing and you don´t need to worry about the gearbox. If it´s in the gearbox I would go for a used gearbox instead of taking it apart. As it´s rare with manual gearbox problems there would be no problem to get a good used one. Haynes repair manual will give you some help if you insist to repair the gearbox or taking the shifter linkage apart.

Good luck! / Anders

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had an 123 Manual Trans problem. It is similar except mine get stuck in 3rd gear. My Filipino Mechanic changed the whole shifter assembly with a kit. Turns out previous owner mechanic used a non OEM but near identical opaque plastic at the end of assymbly rod which had worned out so bad I had to use a hammer couple of times to set it in place. After it was replaced work like a jewel. You need to now what you are doing down in the car. Solet a professional do it....Goodluck...
I adjusted the 3rd/4th linkage rod... The problem is, that there's SO much throw in the 3rd/4th gear, that the shifter runs out of room to make either 3rd or 4th work simutaniously. I can make 3rd work, or 4th work, but not both at once, if I get right in the middle, neither work. [8]

What's wrong?

Thank-you so much, in advance! [:)]
s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.