Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a little while without much luck, all i could find was someone doing it with a 190e transmission.

Looking for info on what flywheel/clutch to use
190e transmission seems to be fine
What driveshaft?
Pedal assembly from a 190e useable?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Although it's relatively rare, there are examples of '86-'89 300E models here in NA with five speed manuals, so those would be your best choice for donors. 201 parts are said to be mostly interchangeable, as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't even realize the 300e was available here with a manual, i've only seen 190e's on rare occasions with a manual. Guess i'll start looking for a wrecked 300e.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,755 Posts
I "think" the only year US W124's were offered with a 5 spd. was 87 and only to the tune of 300 or 500 units. There are alot more W201's equipped with them.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
You could also use W202 5-spd units, they may even have the correct ratios.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
I can't be sure, but from the EPC I see no indication that they won't. Each engine had its own flywheel, but the manuals all use the same clutch. The clutch slave cylinders are all the same as well (as far as I can see). Their floor shifters all are interchangeable, although some W202s have a different method for fixing the knob.

The clutch pedal assembly also seems the same. In fact, on the W201 the clutch pedal bracket has a 124 number.

What else are you wondering about?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is good info and two people saying w201 stuff works...dunno why i asked after the original reply said they did, i'm getting chassis codes mixed up i guess.

Any idea about the driveshaft? I saw a "conversion kit" on eBay from a w123 that had just the section before the carrier bearing, i'm guessing about any 5spd shaft from the tranny to the carrier will work?

I found a couple of 300E flywheels on car-part.com, do they interchange?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
DO NOT fit the wrong flywheel to an engine!!!

The diesels have heavier flywheels than the gassers, plus each engine's flywheel is unique to its configuration i.e. you can bolt a 250D flywheel to a 300D engine, but you shouldn't due to them requiring different inertiae, different harmonics etc.

As for the prop shaft: I have simply shortened my W123 prop to fit the new (W124) tranny. So I cannot comment on interchanges or conversion kits.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Over here in NA, I believe you're going to be hard pressed to locate a manual flywheel for anything other than an M102, M103 or OM601. I don't know diddly about the 202 models, but I'll bet manuals are relatively rare in those over here, as well. Nearly all 124 w/60X manual swaps I'm aware of over here were accomplished using 201 four cylinder parts, including the flywheels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over here in NA, I believe you're going to be hard pressed to locate a manual flywheel for anything other than an M102, M103 or OM601. I don't know diddly about the 202 models, but I'll bet manuals are relatively rare in those over here, as well. Nearly all 124 w/60X manual swaps I'm aware of over here were accomplished using 201 four cylinder parts, including the flywheels.
I'd be terrified to use a 4cyl flywheel on this motor. I don't really see the issue in using a gas 6cyl flywheel with a diesel motor though, yeah it might be lighter, but people have been switching to lightweight flywheels for years on all motors.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I don't really see the issue in using a gas 6cyl flywheel with a diesel motor though, yeah it might be lighter, but people have been switching to lightweight flywheels for years on all motors.
On gassers, switching to a lighter flywheel reduces inertia, which makes the engine more responsive and more rev-happy.

On a diesel, the heavy flywheel is required to push through the high compression pressure. A lighter flywheel will not make it more rev-happy, it will only make it not run at all. I'd investigate using a OM602 2.9 lt flywheel, but I wouldn't do it.

IIRC, the M103/M104 six-cylinder had a bigger clutch, but a thinner walled flywheel than the M102 4-cylinder because more cylinders = more frequent power strokes = less flywheel inertia needed. It's an engineering joke that engines needing less flywheel inertia also need bigger clutches...

Don't quote me on this - I am open to corrections.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have a heavily modified TDI back in the day and looked in to lightweight flywheels. While yeah, you make a point with lighter weight flywheels not so much making it more rev happy, they don't make the motor simply not run. They make the revs want to fall even faster compared to a gas motor because it is fighting compression. I don't see a stock gas flywheel being unbearable with drivability, i'm sure they're around 25lb flywheels and diesel ones are probably over 30lbs.

I'm in the same boat as you though, just my thoughts, i don't know. I'm hoping someone with experience can chime in.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I did have a heavily modified TDI back in the day and looked in to lightweight flywheels. While yeah, you make a point with lighter weight flywheels not so much making it more rev happy, they don't make the motor simply not run. They make the revs want to fall even faster compared to a gas motor because it is fighting compression. I don't see a stock gas flywheel being unbearable with drivability, i'm sure they're around 25lb flywheels and diesel ones are probably over 30lbs.

I'm in the same boat as you though, just my thoughts, i don't know. I'm hoping someone with experience can chime in.
I guess I should've said it better: fitting a progressively lighter flywheel might eventually make the diesel engine not run (while it would make a gasser idle rough) - sorry, my mathematical mind tends to work in asymptotic analysis...:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts