Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I admit this is going to sound really ignorant, so have mercy when replying....

In the Benz Manual, it says that Gears 1-4 should be used for different weather/road conditions and it goes on to specify it. It never mentions using it for manual shifting.

My question is it possible to use gears 1-4 for manual gear shifting? I admit that I tried it out (Only once!) and I don't have a problem upshifting, but if I try to downshift I can't seem to do it very smoothly. From this I'm assuming its not really meant for that? the fact that there is no clutch makes me a little confused on how the shifting works in this car.

The main reason I'm asking is because I really miss driving a manual and its also better on gas/more control.

This is where I hide in shame for showing my ignorance...right? :confused:

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
MY99 doesn't have TouchShift, right?

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
the newer models past '99, i think, have the + - signs aka step/tiptronic. the '99's and below have 1,2,3,4 under D and they can be selected anytime.

·
Registered
2001 Ml-320 sport
45 Posts
i only use my tiptronic when i am about to enter the ramp going the freeway, or when i downshift turning fast to save breaks, but i never use it on regular driving, just entering the freeways and passing cars when need be, if anything, the kickdown button is there so it'll downshift for you.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
You can, but the computer does a better job of timing the shifts. It's really more of a limiter like you've already read.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Check the link to Wolgan's page below.

After MY2000, the ML transmission is what you might term "Shiftronic" meaning manual gear selection is EZ and fool-proof.

The OP '99. you could use manually with a bit more hassle - my suggestion would be to do a board search and re-set the transmission to learn mode, meaning let it learn frokm you how to be more conservative.

Mercedes-Benz Transmission Shifts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
i only use my tiptronic when i am about to enter the ramp going the freeway, or when i downshift turning fast to save breaks, but i never use it on regular driving, just entering the freeways and passing cars when need be, if anything, the kickdown button is there so it'll downshift for you.
Saving brakes while wearing out your transmission is not a good tradeoff.

·
Registered
2001 Ml-320 sport
45 Posts
Saving brakes while wearing out your transmission is not a good tradeoff.
i really do think that the transmission can handle engine braking. but i try to restrain myself in doing it as i a gree with what you said that it's not worth it.:surrender::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
+2... brakes are cheaper and more tolerant of abuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts