Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you transplant 300turbo diesel engine into a manual transmission 300GD? Will the manual transmission work with a 300TD engine?[:D]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Yes, no problem at all to fit that engine in front of the trans that came in the 300GD. Now, how long the trans will last is a matter of the condition of the box, your driving style, and how much work you want to do on the trans. Some bearing updates will help it last longer. But with a trans in good shape, today's high quality lubricants, and a sensible head in the driver's seat to make the proper links between hands and feet, it's no problem.

The main sort of trouble is that if you have the 4-speed manual, top gear is 1:1, and with the G's axle ratios, your top criosing speed on the highway will be limited to about 70 mph. (update your info to include your location) The best solutionall around is to get one of the manual transmissions that MB supplied with a turbodiesel in the G, since those are designed for that engine's power and torque curves, and have proper ratios for keeping that engine happy in a G. There are other ways to go, of course, like changing diff gears and such. At the end of the day it comes down to your own usage, what's best for you.

All the best,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was there a 4 speed manual availabel for the Turbo Diesel or are you refering to the 4 speed found in the 290GD turbo diesel?

Thanks
Mark[:)]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I didn't know G290 came with a 4-speed, I thought only 5. That's what I was refering to, the 5-speed that came with the G290.

-Dave G.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts