Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180E W201 Limited Edition
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought myself a 180E limited edition model from '92 yesturday (thought this was the best forum for the post), and I love it so far.

The only problem I have found so far is that the automatic transmission I have is *very* sluggish of the line, which according to my local Mercedes shop is normal with these types of cars. So, to fix this problem I am considering doing a manual conversion.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had done it to their 190 or 180 and if they could give me a rough indication on the cost of a gearbox, and other accessories (clutch etc) and on the difficulty of installing it.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
First off, Welcome to benzworld!:thumbsup:

To be fair the prices will vary because your in Australia and parts may or may not be as readily available as in other areas, but generally if you do the swap yourself your looking at about 2,000usd (generally less) for complete parts for the swap. Again this is if the parts of easily avail, there are always deal to be found and im sure some of our Australian members will chip in sooner or later and let you know of some hot spots they have found for parts.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
51 Posts
Welcome to benzworld,Im Mark

I was thinking about swaping too...i might get the parts this weekend hopefully...and ill take lots pics and show how is done/or get help! lol you never know where you can get stuck...thats why we thank god everyday for Benzworld...GREAT!!! help!!!!!

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
2K sounds about right!

I have a friend with a 1991 BMW 325IS it was automatic and he just had it converted to manual.. With the parts plus labor it cost him a little over 2,000 Canadian dollars so something like 1800 US.

And welcome to Benzworld!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all thanks for the speedy replies..

It could also be that your 1.8 is doing a 2nd gear launch, which may be interpreted as being "sluggish."

Yeah it is definately doing a 2nd gear start, (3rd gear even?) that is pretty much why I want to go to manual so I can accelerate a little bit quicker than my grandma! :D
TBH tho, this is my first car and im on a trainee wage so 2 grand is a little steep for me..

Ill upload some pics and throw them up here soon, Its Dark Blue and looks hot!!

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
You can do an honest 1st gear launch by putting the gear selector into the lowest gear while stopped, then moving it back to "D" before pressing the accelerator.

While moving, you can engage the kickdown switch located behind the gas pedal to drop a gear.

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Put it in "2" and floor it! That should make it go all the way out in first and then second gear, and when you get close to the redline in the tach or the "II" mark in the speedo put it up in "3".. if that doesn't help find a complete donor car with a manual trans and/or a bigger 2.0/2.3 engine :D Youll get some money back when selling the auto tranny and parts from the donor.
The Merc automatic doesn't steal very mutch power so you'll be OK when you get used to tweaking it manually :p :D
P.s. Is i really called 180E? or is it a 190E 1.8?

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Put it in "2" and floor it! That should make it go all the way out in first and then second gear, and when you get close to the redline in the tach or the "II" mark in the speedo put it up in "3".. if that doesn't help find a complete donor car with a manual trans and/or a bigger 2.0/2.3 engine :D Youll get some money back when selling the auto tranny and parts from the donor.
The Merc automatic doesn't steal very mutch power so you'll be OK when you get used to tweaking it manually :p :D
P.s. Is i really called 180E? or is it a 190E 1.8?
I asked that question when i first bought mine.

It turns out the 1.8 was only sold in Europe and Australia:
In Europe they referred to it as the 190E 1.8 in Austrlia as the 180E
I've no idea why the the name change.

But i'm guessing the Australians figured the 1.8 was the "Base model" so they didn;t want to give it the same name as the other more powerfull and better equiped 2.3 and 2.6's.

But that's just my guess, i may be wrong.

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
In fact, canadians cars are the australian models with different corners. (Mine and my friend's 92 2.3 and 2.6) all are ''australian models with canadian kit'' on VIN check at Mb russian club. So 1.8 may have been sold in canada, but not in USA.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
In fact, canadians cars are the australian models with different corners. (Mine and my friend's 92 2.3 and 2.6) all are ''australian models with canadian kit'' on VIN check at Mb russian club. So 1.8 may have been sold in canada, but not in USA.
No definatly not, the 1.8 was never sold in north America.

You may be right that canadians cars are Australians ones but the 1.8 was never imported. Or else we would have had as many 1.8's for sale over here as they do in Europe. It was the cheapest model offered so they would have sold ALOT (If they did) and apart for mine i've never seen one for sale in canada.

I think at the time Mercedes-Benz of America only imported nicely equiped versions. In america Mercedes has always been about luxury and high class, where as in Germany you were able to buy 190's with manual windows, no sunroofs, manual trannies, basically bare bones versions. Dont think they had those in America because they wanted to associate Benz with prestige and class.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some pics of the car, picked it up for 4k Au, which is real cheap, probably like 2.5-3k US

Pictures were taken at the car yard just before I bought it, it runs real nice, only problem is, is that i think there is a small radiator leak, not 100% sure yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.