Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK230-LE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My center vent leaks air in from the outside and never fully close when I change the dial on the manual climate control. Does it have the same vacuum system as the automatic climate control systems?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,408 Posts
All US spec W124s came with full automatic HVAC as standard. There was no manual option.

The 2 systems share nothing in common and it makes no financial sense to retrofit.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230-LE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a european w124. That's why I asked this question in particular. Maybe I should have clarified...not sure where you got the retrofit idea though.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
The manual HVAC system uses conventional Bowden type cables. There is no vacuum connection, except for the air recirc function.

I mentioned the retrofit because the question has been asked before to help eliminate the vacuum pods, but from a financial and serviceability perspective it doesn't make sense doing so to settle for a lesser system as opposed to the superior full automatic albeit vacuum driven HVAC type.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230-LE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would you say I need to look at if air comes in constantly even if the fan is off? Also, when pressing the re-circulation button, I'm not sure if it does anything... it does light up though.

I think the vacuum sound I'm hearing is coming from the vacuum connection to the headlight level switch. I'll check it out when I pull the cluster to paint the needles.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
So what would you say I need to look at if air comes in constantly even if the fan is off? Also, when pressing the re-circulation button, I'm not sure if it does anything... it does light up though.
I never said anything like this. The bowden cables control the flaps of the heater & evaporator box going to the HVAC ducts, nothing more, just as the vacuum pods control the HVAC ducts on the fully automatic HVAC systems.

If the recirc function is working properly, you should hear a slight thump noise the moment you press the recirc button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts