Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300D w/ Manual 4sp.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the dimensions for the shift boot frame as well as the shift knob hole?

I would like to replace my old worn boot and knob and I can't find any shop that says they work for my model.

Or maybe someone has a link to one that will work?

Thanks
-NatE-

·
Registered
2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
1,451 Posts
The boot is REALLY cheap at the dealers, less than $10 (in South Africa, at least). Gearshift knob is a little more, about $50.

However, what I did was to remove the inner thread (just cut away the old knob around it), cut it a little shorter with a saw and fasten it within a new knob. Just make sure that the new one you buy will accommodate this inner thread. Then simply screw it back onto your gear lever.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You see, less than ten bucks! I don't know why I didn't check with Autohaus in the first place...

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
haha its a great site :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Meyle? Be careful with Meyle, their rubber parts aren't as good. I've said this before, I bought a tie rod from AutohausAZ with the ends included. The brand was Meyle, I thought great, real cheap, plus free shipping, and German made! So I went ahead to have the alignment shop install it (the original one in the car was frozen).

I checked them recently, and lo and behold. The Meyle boots had cracked, while the older ones that weren't replaced were still intact! Yep, you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
karugs said:
...and German made!
Here's the rear window switches' box that I ordered. German quality? I don't think so! The icon on the switch itself is not too great either...but it's either this or a $50 OEM switch.

In the background is the wiring diagram I need to follow for my power window install. Can't wait to dive into it!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I wouldn't get that shift boot from autohaus. I replaced the one in the 81 300d and it is far too stiff and very difficult to clean. I'd say if you can get a german seller to ship, the leather ones found on ebay.de are awesome.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Boardmonger said:
...the leather ones found on ebay.de are awesome.
Leather? Those should be aftermarket boots. My OEM shifter boot is a soft plastic/rubber, which also has the moulded grips to fit on the center console. I doubt that a leather one will be able to grip the center console as the OEM one does.

But I might be wrong...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
frans-c said:
Here's the rear window switches' box that I ordered. German quality? I don't think so! The icon on the switch itself is not too great either...but it's either this or a $50 OEM switch.

In the background is the wiring diagram I need to follow for my power window install. Can't wait to dive into it!
Febi made in China? :eek:

Just a warning. Did you get the cheaper window switches from Autohaus? They light up GREEN ...don't know what they had in mind! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
karugs said:
Febi made in China? :eek:

Just a warning. Did you get the cheaper window switches from Autohaus? They light up GREEN ...don't know what they had in mind! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed when I saw the 'Made in China' label.

They weren't the cheapest window switches - they were the ONLY switches at Autohaus!

New OEM-ones here in South Africa: $350
New OEM-ones from Sunvalley: $200

For the time being, I will have to make do with these switches. After my $1200 order and $147 customs fees, I'm rather broke. Maybe in a few months' time will I replace the switches with OEM ones.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
The leather boot has a string at both the shift knob and another for the console so it is sturdy. It is aftermarket but I'd say its better than OE.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Boardmonger said:
It is aftermarket but I'd say its better than OE.
Mmm, are you sure?

I replaced my sister's 240D's boot, which was virtually destroyed by a gearlock, with a new OEM boot. The difference in gear changes was eye-opening. It's as if the boot has a dampening effect on the lever, resulting in a much better-feeling shift change.

I think it accomplishes this by the way it forms itself around the lever, which I don't think a leather boot does.

I would, however, like to see a leather boot. I replaced my gearlever knob with a leather one and I think, if the boot has the same effect as the OEM one, that I'd like to complete my gear lever with one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts