Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
VW CC & Wifeys 2003 SLK320
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you prefer, Mann or Hengst for your oil filters? And why isn't there a fleece filter for the M120?

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
364 Posts
I usually prefer Mann when I can get my hands on them - no particular reason, aside from that it is what I used already way back when I had my first Mercedes back home and never had a problem.

--zaxxon

P.S.: Had to look at that subject line twice before it clicked..."Mann or Hengst?", translated into english: "Man or Stud?" ROTFL!!!

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
Through out the years I had a chance to use a lot of different brands regarding spare parts for my vehicles and in that time I had a chance to compare a lot of them and set myself to a conclusion, I mean I have some fixed brand names in my head which I seek all the time as a priority.

Steering; Lemforder

Electric; Bosch, Behr, Hella

Spark Plugs; NGK

Filters; Mann, Hengst and Mahle

The list goes on and on, the brands you mentioned are two of the best producers in the market so I cant say one is better or worst than the other, both are good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When i was working as mechanic,i remember that MANN was slower,means that the oil reaches harder the upper part of the engine,and as result was more premature wear.I always liked HENGST or KNECHT....

·
Registered
90 300SL, 94 SL600, 99 E320 Wagon, 01 S500, 04CL55, 07GL450, 66 230SL
210 Posts
When i was working as mechanic,i remember that MANN was slower,means that the oil reaches harder the upper part of the engine,and as result was more premature wear.I always liked HENGST or KNECHT....
I've never heard this and would imagine the filters have to perform to a particular specification requirement.
I've not seen a public test that shows the flow of any particular filter but the micron protection rates are usually listed.
Between Mann and Hengst I'd go by price point myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You never heard it because almost nobody pays attention to these details....but if you think about it,the main wear of any engine is when it starts without oil....everyone is free to use any brand,the only difference is the knowledge.....

·
Registered
90 300SL, 94 SL600, 99 E320 Wagon, 01 S500, 04CL55, 07GL450, 66 230SL
210 Posts
You never heard it because almost nobody pays attention to these details....but if you think about it,the main wear of any engine is when it starts without oil....everyone is free to use any brand,the only difference is the knowledge.....
You're going to have to do better than that.

You're correct if the oil washes away from the cylinder walls you get a dry start, that's not the case here.

I'd like to see where one flows faster than the other and in a time that makes a difference to the engine.
I'd also like to see where IF it flows faster is it at the cost of its filtering ability of the oil.

My guess is these two are so close you couldn't measure your results without a lab.
You'd also have to be using the same oils in every test as the weight alone will determine how fast it flows through a filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts