Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just received 2 fuel filters - Mann BFU700 - and not impressed. Made in Brazil.
Filter material looks like recycled cotton with a myriad of grass seeds embedded. Some are easily dislogged by touching, so not happy about using these......

Interesting post re filters; Mann vs Knecht Oil Filter Comparison | Off-Topic Discussions

Drinkware Road surface Gas Asphalt Cylinder

·
Registered
1970 Unimog 406 was VF3 Snowcutter
171 Posts
Mann oil filters are of similar construction but with a fabric wrap around the outside.
Pictures here of disassembly:
OM352 engine oil filter disassembly

Hengst might be another supplier for your consideration, similar construction to the Mann filter but more of a woven felt/wool filter media obviously without the seeds etc that comes with the Mann filter.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,694 Posts
Any possibility that these are Chinese (or some other counterfeiter) rip-offs?

There are more and more fakes on the world market these days.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be fake - Mann did respond and asked me to work through the vendor - the vendor has since responded by saying they have forwarded my query to Mann......I did some digging and Mann is using recycled fibres in some of their filters, but this seems like an extraordinary drop in quality - which may support fakery.........But, as someone once advised me "Before you suspect conspiracy, suspect incompetence" My guess; someone in Brazil dropped the ball......

Hengst and Bosch is not readilly available here. Donaldson also lists an equivalent, but special order. It seems there are 2 variants - one with a 13mm inner diameter and another with 16mm. I have seen some equivalents listed with 14mm ! So, another thing to be aware of ! The older mogs like mine seems to be for the smaller version.
Never has "Buyer Beware" meant so much for so few - to paraphrase a certain wartime PM :p
Buying consumables in the normal Blue/white star box should avoid these kind of issues, but......just need to be doubly aware with the aftermarket stuff...

·
Registered
1970 411.119 Mystery Mog, 1979 L-1116 Flatbed, 1975 L-1113 Box
651 Posts
I got those Mann filters for my 411 and they didn't look like that with all of junk in the media.

I will say that I'm running WIX filters in my L trucks

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received a full refund from the vendor. They did not say what Mann's response was.
Pity that........
In any case, I will from now on buy Ryco or Sakura......

Reactions: TRUKTOR

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given I am not going to use the filters, I decided to cut one open to peer a bit deeper...
No pleated filter material, just the same cotton-like structure throughout - complete with seeds/weedy fibres all the way.
White Black Gas Symmetry Grille

1 - 16 of 16 Posts