Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me, but I had to post these pics of my SLK's finish after the third coat of Zaino. Veterans of this board know what I'm talking about, but for your newbies or others who have never used Zaino, I highly recommend it! Besides giving the best finish I've ever seen, its really quite easy to apply and the cost is quite reasonable. Used it for the first time last weekend and did the Dawn wash, clay, wash, dry, and application of two coats. Did a third coat this weekend.

I'm hooked, even though I live in New Jersey where I have to go through a whole convoluted process to order supplies (Because Zaino doesn't want to cut out their NJ distributor, they reserve sales to my state to that distributor in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, his website is not as sophisticated as Zaino's main site. But I guess it speaks well for the company to feel an obligation to their original distributor). I may make the 1.5 hour drive to the main store instead.

In any event, thanks to Julien and the rest of you who turned me on to this product. Pics follow:

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 SLK55 AMG
94 Posts
gmabli - 4/10/2006 8:35 AM
...Besides giving the best finish I've ever seen, its really quite easy to apply...

...did the Dawn wash, clay, wash, dry, and application of two coats. Did a third coat this weekend....
I'm interested in doing a Zaino job on my 55, but the above two statements seem contradictory. Is it easy to apply, or is it a 7-step process? How many total hours did you spend on the job?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Florp - 4/10/2006 1:04 PM

gmabli - 4/10/2006 8:35 AM
...Besides giving the best finish I've ever seen, its really quite easy to apply...

...did the Dawn wash, clay, wash, dry, and application of two coats. Did a third coat this weekend....
I'm interested in doing a Zaino job on my 55, but the above two statements seem contradictory. Is it easy to apply, or is it a 7-step process? How many total hours did you spend on the job?

Thanks for the info!
It's an easy multi-step process. I probably spent two hours doing my first coats.

Thinking I might strip it all off and clay my car this year, then put it all back on, just for the fun of it ... might take all afternoon.

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Florp - 4/10/2006 1:04 PM

Thanks for the info!
The initial prep to get the surface down to the bare finish (no leftover wax) is a bit time consuming. That involves:
  • Wash with Dawn and dry[/*]
  • Use Clay Bar[/*]
  • Wash with Zaino Car Wash and dry[/*]
  • Apply coat of Z2 or Z5 with activator and let dry to haze[/*]
  • Lightly buff off[/*]
  • Follow up with gloss enhancer[/*]
Took me about 2 hours. But follow up coats require just the last four steps which are the easiest (wash and dry, apply, buff, gloss enhancer) which are really the easiest steps and took less than 45 minutes which includes a good 20-30 minutes just to let the Zaino dry. Of course, if you are putting on an additional coat right away, you don't have to wash and dry again, just do the last three steps. You are putting a very light coating of the product on your car at a time and there is no elbow grease required. You can do it while working in the yard. Just keep adding those layers, but no more than 3 per day.

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easty - 4/10/2006 1:25 PM

Clay?
Easty, this stuff is great. Several different companies make it besides Zaino. Apparently its an old detailer's trick that's been around for a while, but I've just recently learned about it.

What it is is a piece of soft clay, sort of like Fun Tak or Play Doh (not exactly sure what you Brits call it - maybe Plasticene?) that you rub over the surface of the finish using some sort of liquid lubricant. Minute particles of contaminants adhere to the clay and are pulled from the finish making it unbelievably smoothe and ready for a finishing coat of polish.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I did mine for the first time this weekend. I figured better do this early while the car is about 10 days old, however, Zaino works very well also on older cars.

Remember to wipe off the water spots while drying after the first 2 washes (dishwashing detergent like Dawn, and Zaino Z-7 car wash). Zaino Car polish will not remove water spots.

After using the accelator ZFX with either Z2 or Z5,and finishing the coating process, quickly soak the mixing bottle with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to clean bottle; otherwise the mixing bottle cannot be used again, especially when the mixture has been allowed to sit for more than 12 hours. I had difficulty cleaning just with dishwashing detergent on the mixing bottles. The stuff is harder to clean even after 6 hours. Isopropyl alcohol works much better,,but one has to agitate or clean with a bottle brush.

I thank this forum for their invaluable tips and suggestions.

By the way, one ounce of the Z2 or Z5 with accelerator is enough to coat the SLK twice, including the wheels.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
135 Posts
I never used Zaino until this car, but I'm sold on it too. I just ordered some more, including Z5 to hopefully hide the scratches I'm starting to get.

The first-time application process sounds intimidating, but it really isn't that bad. Ideally you should clay a new car regardless of what kind of wax you'll use. But that step is optional with Zaino, just like any other wax. So that leaves you with: Wash (with Dawn the first time, to make sure the paint is really clean), apply Zaino, let dry, buff off. Then maybe a quick wipe with their detailing spray.

The whole apply/dry/buff process takes me about 20-30 minutes. (In the Georgia heat, by the time I finish applying Zaino, the panel I started on is already dry and ready to buff.)

I'm planning to carefully wash my car and put a couple more coats of Zaino on it in a couple weeks. I've got some water spots that showed up during all the nasty winter weather. I'm afraid I might have sealed a few of them under a layer of Zaino last fall. Anyone got tips for cleaning them up? Clay? Or use alcohol as necessary to strip off the Zaino and water spots?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Saaz - 4/11/2006 8:22 AM

...I'm planning to carefully wash my car and put a couple more coats of Zaino on it in a couple weeks. I've got some water spots that showed up during all the nasty winter weather. I'm afraid I might have sealed a few of them under a layer of Zaino last fall. Anyone got tips for cleaning them up? Clay? Or use alcohol as necessary to strip off the Zaino and water spots?
Water spots can be tough if embed into the clearcoat and depending on the mineral content. You would need to remove the Zaino first (clay bar will not remove Zaino) using a solution of diluted isopropyl alcohol and a white 100% cotten towel. Then I would try a clay bar first. If they still don't come out then you would need to use some Z-5 to remove them.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Julien, I have been using carnauba wax exclusively since I bought a can of Classic Car Wax at the 1969 New York auto show. How do the protective qualities of Zaino and a conventional carnauba paste wax compare? I have found the carnauba to be long-lasting, and it gives a good shine. I have read many of your and other members' postings about Zaino. As I have no prior knowledge of it myself, I would value your input. Many thanks.[8D]Dinoman

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Dinoman - 4/11/2006 9:30 AM

Julien, I have been using carnauba wax exclusively since I bought a can of Classic Car Wax at the 1969 New York auto show. How do the protective qualities of Zaino and a conventional carnauba paste wax compare? I have found the carnauba to be long-lasting, and it gives a good shine. I have read many of your and other members' postings about Zaino. As I have no prior knowledge of it myself, I would value your input. Many thanks.[8D]Dinoman
Carnauba is natural wax and wax is a soft liquid. No natural wax can or will last long and must be reapplied often. It washes off very easily and even runs off the car because it melts in the sun's heat. If natural wax was able to last for several weeks in the sun it would start to yellow (as all waxes do under sunlight). Wax offers little or no UV protection which is the most important protection your paint needs. The paint is actually protected by the clearcoat but can still fade from UV rays. Zaino is a synthetic polymer based sealant and will last several months while providing UV40 protection.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Julien Thanks for the explication of the particular chemical properties of carnauba and Zaino. I will certainly look into it for my cars.[8D]Dinoman

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Saaz,

Below is the reply I got (within an hour) from Sal Zaino regarding water spots, hope this helps:

Hello,

Could you please tell me how to remove water spots after Z2 or Z5 is applied? I noticed a couple of water spots only after applying Z5 followed by 2 coats of Z2.

Most 'fresh' mineral deposits (water spotting, acid rain, etc.) can be

removed with Z-7 Show Car Wash, Z-6 Gloss Enhancer or Z-8 Grand Finale spray. If they have

been on the car for a while and none of the above will not remove them. Use

household white vinegar full strength. This is acetic acid and will loosen and

remove the mineral deposits and not harm the paint surface. Most of the time,

the water spot etching you see is simply the hardened mineral deposit,

giving the illusion of etching into the paint. Believe me, when these

mineral deposits harden. They become really tough and hard to remove.

The trick is to not give them a chance to harden.

If the above fails, then use the Z-18 ClayBar to remove them....

If those water spots on your car have been there for a while. They might

be already etched into the clear coat. If Z-18 ClayBar will not remove

them. Then what you are seeing is an etched spot in the paint surface.

Although, I don't make a habit of using an abrasive product on todays clear

coated finishes. It seems, in your specific situation, you don't

have a choice. I would try Zaino ZPC (paint cleanser) by hand, using

very light pressure. This should do the trick. Be careful when doing this

and only do the water spot areas, as the ZPC is abrasive and will remove

paint material. Don't forget to reapply Z-5 or Z-2 as the ZPC will remove

any polish.

If you opt to go with the Zaino ZPC... see following tips...

Zaino ZPC (paint cleanser) use By hand:

Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton

diaper or piece of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1' X

1' section using light to medium pressure until it starts to dry out.

Then take a second towel and lightly rub back and forth until the polish

residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there are still some

swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer

using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more

aggressive product once. After you are done you can

immediately apply ZFX enabled Z-5 or Z-2.

Hope this helps. Need more advice call me.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
by the way, here's Sal Zaino's phone no. He welcomes questions on his products.

Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800

·
Registered
2004 ML350
133 Posts
I've, so far put about 4 or five coats of zaino on my car, there really is no comparisson to carnuba wax. I used it for 20 or more years. down here (South georgia, with the heat most of the year, its life expectancy is approximately 1 month. Zaino lust keeps looking good month after month. I only reapply it because I just feel like I should do something besides washing it.

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
152 Posts
I am new to Zaino as its only been available for a while in the UK. I bought a pre packaged 'show kit' and am kind of looking forward to spending Easter weekend getting it applied. This is especially true now we have a hose pipe ban in our area!!!

I see from other posts that so long as the car is not really dirty, it doesn't even need washing, you just use the spray one I got with the kit called Z6.

Is that right?.

I see also that Z2 and Z5 are interchangable. I was going to do 2 coats of Z5 then finish with a Z2.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
adf3786 - 4/13/2006 12:12 PM

I am new to Zaino as its only been available for a while in the UK. I bought a pre packaged 'show kit' and am kind of looking forward to spending Easter weekend getting it applied. This is especially true now we have a hose pipe ban in our area!!!

I see from other posts that so long as the car is not really dirty, it doesn't even need washing, you just use the spray one I got with the kit called Z6.

Is that right?.

I see also that Z2 and Z5 are interchangable. I was going to do 2 coats of Z5 then finish with a Z2.
I would wash the car first with Z7 car wash, even if one has to use a bucket and a large cup to rinse off the car wash, before applying Z2 or Z5.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
135 Posts
Thanks very much for the tips about water spots.

I've noticed that Z6 will clean up faint water spots (as Sal said). When I'm ready for a serious cleaning, I'll try working my way up through vinegar, alcohol, clay, etc.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
adf3786 - 4/11/2006 2:12 PM

Is that right?.

In case there is confusion, when you are going to do a full "grounds up" Zaino treatment car should be freshly washed (and potentially clayed).

The "between wash" treatment for a car that is not dirty (just not freshly washed) is Z6 (or Z8). But I would still dust the car first (with a California Duster or something), in my opinion.

You never want to take the chance of rubbing fine dust into your finish, as it can cause swirls/scratches.

On Z2 vs Z5. Z5 has more "filling" properties. Z2 has more gloss. Always finish with one or two Z2 coats (and Z6 or Z8 on top of that).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts